Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2015, 02:52 PM

3 posts, read 3,715 times

Advertisements

I'm considering Colfax and Liberty for my child. Any experience with either? Looking for diversity, excellent teaching, good arts program and time outside.

...or should I really be considering Ellis or St. Edmund's?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2015, 02:53 PM

3 posts, read 3,715 times
Or do I have to lottery into Liberty?

Old 07-28-2015, 05:36 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,872,238 times
Clearly Ellis is going to be head and shoulders above all others.

Old 07-28-2015, 07:23 PM

14,362 posts, read 16,946,112 times
Liberty these days I think probably isn't as well regarded as the other East End magnets (Linden, Montessori, and Dilworth). It is a perfectly acceptable school however. With the magnet system you must apply - generally you put three options on your application, and your chances are well better than even of getting into one of the three.

That said, Colfax is by far the best regarded neighborhood school in Pittsburgh. If you are in the Colfax feeder zone you should not apply to the magnet system - if for no other reason than to allow that slot to go to someone else who has a greater need.

Old 07-29-2015, 06:49 AM

4,176 posts, read 2,935,896 times
My niece attends Colfax and my sister is satisfied with the school and curriculum. The school is diverse and located in one of Pittsburgh's better neighborhoods. The school is diverse and many of the parents have scheduled play dates and attend all birthday parties. My sisters attended Colfax in the 80's and some of the teachers are still there.

Linden and Dilworth are good schools as well. All the the schools mentioned are in stable neighborhoods.

Old 07-29-2015, 07:02 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,929,221 times
I have a four-year old who will be starting kindergarten last fall. We've researched and visited most of the area private and charter schools, and decided that Colfax meets our needs. They have a very involved PTA, which I've been told actually funded the music teacher's salary when the city wanted to cut the position (although I can't speak to the veracity of that claim).

While I'm generally anti-charter schools, as they divert both funds and strong students with involved parents from city schools, I find the Environmental Charter School's curriculum intriguing, and would probably send my daughter there, if given the chance.

Old 07-29-2015, 11:29 AM

1,349 posts, read 3,566,074 times
My 3 kids are preschool and younger, but my oldest will start K in 2016. We live in Colfax feeder. We could pay for private school if needed. So this is not a firsthand opinion, but its an informed one by someone who has considered this issue at length. Colfax is fine for a public elementary school and reasonably comparable to any other "good" public elementary school. Unless you are wealthy enough that money is nearly irrelevant, I can't see paying the premium for private elementary education and don't plan to do it myself. I wouldn't consider Liberty (or any other elementary magnet school for that matter) over Colfax. Environmental charter would be an exception if its your cup of tea (its not mine). If you find you don't like Colfax, pull out next year and pony up for a private school. But for 20k a year or so that Ellis runs, I'd chance public schools for a year. You won't ruin your child's future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh