Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 11:33 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,987,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne518 View Post
Thanks so much for your answers. Very informative!!! My husband will need to travel downtown for work, so it seems it will be better to take the T? I will have to travel south to Morgantown for work (3 times a week). Whether my son can find some friends soon is also a concern. He probably have limited options within this neighborhood.

Yes, the T would make plenty of sense... we haven't even touched on morning commute through the tunnels.

Honestly, before you sign up for Fieldgate, you should really consider Fox Chase/Cook School Rd area. I'm just really unimpressed with the residents on Fieldgate based on reading their comments on WF and meeting a few.

The listings here for houses on Windsor, Watterford, Watterson and Wellington seem to fit what you'd be looking at on Fieldgate. Also, the listing for Blairmont is just a little south of where you're looking, but a newer home in a more developed/older/stable neighborhood. And if you want brand new construction, there's Bedner Estates at the bottom of Cook School Rd.

As far as your son goes, I will add that if you do look in the Cook School area on streets like Scarlett and Waterford, you'll likely see basketballs, soccer balls, hockey nets and whatnot in people's yards. Not so on Fieldgate.

Being in the Cook School area would add 7-8 minutes to your husband's trip to park at the T lot in SHV, but would save you 10 minutes or more every day you had to commute to Morgantown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2015, 11:40 AM

4 posts, read 3,925 times
My child did not start in USC schools until middle school but I do not think that one elementary is better than the other and I have heard wonderful things about Eisenhower from my friends and neighbors. I know that you seem to want "newer" construction but you may find more of a community in some of the "older" neighborhoods like Trotwood West, Trotwood Hills, etc. (although these homes are at a lower price point than you've been looking at). Deerfield is nice but it is at the south end of USC and will be a longer commute for your husband to the T and to downtown. Another neighborhood off of Cook School is Dominion which has a community pool. There is also a nice development off of Morrow (whose name is escaping me at the moment). One thing to remember about taxes is that you can't use the current owner's taxes as a guide to what you will be paying because the school district will protest your taxes and request that your home be reassessed to the purchase price. We bought a home in USC that cost almost $400,000 and our taxes are now about $12,000. Our sellers had paid much less but we lost our appeal. There are so many nice neighborhoods in USC and the schools are great. I'm sure you will love it here.

Old 08-05-2015, 11:56 AM

912 posts, read 1,732,687 times
I'd be careful if I were you. That area of USC has three rival gangs operating in close proximity. The Market District Maniacs currently claim the turf where the Whole Foods is being built. Right now, they are existing relatively peacefully with the Fre$h Market Freak$ and TJ's Tyrantz, but the addition of a Whole Foods could spark a turf war.

Last edited by TheYO; 08-05-2015 at 01:22 PM..

Old 08-05-2015, 12:39 PM

3,291 posts, read 2,772,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYO View Post
I'd be careful if I were you. That area of USC has three rival gangs operating in close proximity. The Market District Maniacs currently claim the turf where the Whole Foods is being built. Right now, they are existing relatively peacefully with the Fre$h Market Freak$ and TJ's Tyrantz, but the addition of a Whole Foods to there could spark a turf war.

be careful even crossing the street. these gangs have been known to street race their Volvos at speeds sometimes reaching 35 mph ( if it's daylight with good weather and visibility ), with little regard for their own lives let alone others.

Old 08-05-2015, 12:43 PM

4 posts, read 3,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
Yes, the T would make plenty of sense... we haven't even touched on morning commute through the tunnels.

Honestly, before you sign up for Fieldgate, you should really consider Fox Chase/Cook School Rd area. I'm just really unimpressed with the residents on Fieldgate based on reading their comments on WF and meeting a few.

The listings here for houses on Windsor, Watterford, Watterson and Wellington seem to fit what you'd be looking at on Fieldgate. Also, the listing for Blairmont is just a little south of where you're looking, but a newer home in a more developed/older/stable neighborhood. And if you want brand new construction, there's Bedner Estates at the bottom of Cook School Rd.

As far as your son goes, I will add that if you do look in the Cook School area on streets like Scarlett and Waterford, you'll likely see basketballs, soccer balls, hockey nets and whatnot in people's yards. Not so on Fieldgate.

Being in the Cook School area would add 7-8 minutes to your husband's trip to park at the T lot in SHV, but would save you 10 minutes or more every day you had to commute to Morgantown.

I agree that Blairmont is a beautiful street in a great neighborhood! That neighborhood (Westminster) is much better than Fieldgate because you can walk to the high school, etc. Even though the house is older, it would be worth it and most of the houses on that street are at a higher price (so you can put $$ into it and not be the most expensive house on the street).

Old 08-05-2015, 01:54 PM

1,519 posts, read 2,675,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
be careful even crossing the street. these gangs have been known to street race their Volvos at speeds sometimes reaching 35 mph ( if it's daylight with good weather and visibility ), with little regard for their own lives let alone others.
And swing their golf clubs around in a haphazard manner.

Old 08-05-2015, 02:03 PM

4,359 posts, read 7,529,977 times
If I were looking in the South Hills I would at the very least explore Peters. Taxes in Lebo and USC are huge especially on a 600,000 house. I thought my taxes were high at approximately 2500 per 100,000 of assessed value but USC is about 3160 and Lebo is 3280 per 100,000 assessed value.

Guessing you might save about 7000 a year if you buy in Peters.

Old 08-05-2015, 02:25 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,987,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingmc View Post
My child did not start in USC schools until middle school but I do not think that one elementary is better than the other and I have heard wonderful things about Eisenhower from my friends and neighbors. I know that you seem to want "newer" construction but you may find more of a community in some of the "older" neighborhoods like Trotwood West, Trotwood Hills, etc. (although these homes are at a lower price point than you've been looking at). Deerfield is nice but it is at the south end of USC and will be a longer commute for your husband to the T and to downtown. Another neighborhood off of Cook School is Dominion which has a community pool. There is also a nice development off of Morrow (whose name is escaping me at the moment). One thing to remember about taxes is that you can't use the current owner's taxes as a guide to what you will be paying because the school district will protest your taxes and request that your home be reassessed to the purchase price. We bought a home in USC that cost almost $400,000 and our taxes are now about $12,000. Our sellers had paid much less but we lost our appeal. There are so many nice neighborhoods in USC and the schools are great. I'm sure you will love it here.
Dominion would also be a great choice. Had no idea there was a community pool there.

Many of the Trotwood/T-streets neighborhoods also have annual block parties and other get-togethers if that's of interest. I don't think you get that with the newer developments. Heck, Myron Cope lived in Trotwood till he passed. How much more Americana can you get?

Old 08-05-2015, 09:03 PM

17 posts, read 15,698 times
You know USC better than a realtor!!! The Watterford, Watterson and Wellington house are all beautiful, but priced higher than our budget. We went to see the house on Blairmont. It was good but a bit compartmental. You are right, maybe we should check out the new constructions by Bedner Estates. Thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post

Old 08-05-2015, 09:06 PM

17 posts, read 15,698 times
We went to see a house in Peters, and you'll definitely get lots more square footage for the same amount of money. And I heard the schools are good too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
If I were looking in the South Hills I would at the very least explore Peters. Taxes in Lebo and USC are huge especially on a 600,000 house. I thought my taxes were high at approximately 2500 per 100,000 of assessed value but USC is about 3160 and Lebo is 3280 per 100,000 assessed value.

Guessing you might save about 7000 a year if you buy in Peters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh