Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 01:18 PM

3,291 posts, read 2,741,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by doo dah View Post
What it has to do with buses is, why relocate all the buses to the perimeter, forcing riders to walk further, when drivers demand parking for every building? Are they incapable of walking?
How do drivers demand parking for a building? The building developer and city council do that, and they do it because many companies would not pay to lease a building with no parking, if they had a choice to go into another one that did. It is an amentiy like anything else in a building, and it adds value. The city demands it so that there is some street parking available for other people. I have no problem with parking garages within buildings, it's the proliferation of surface lots that are a problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2015, 01:20 PM

2,576 posts, read 3,074,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
How do drivers demand parking for a building? The building developer and city council do that, and they do it because many companies would not pay to lease a building with no parking, if they had a choice to go into another one that did. It is an amentiy like anything else in a building, and it adds value. The city demands it so that there is some street parking available for other people. I have no problem with parkign garages within buildings, it's the proliferation of surface lots that are a problem.
Haven't you seen the drivers of this forum demand, not only parking, but free parking downtown?

Old 08-19-2015, 01:23 PM

3,291 posts, read 2,741,534 times
Quote:
Haven't you seen the drivers of this forum demand, not only parking, but free parking downtown?
I must have missed it. But doing that on a forum like this is not actually demanding ... it's pipe dreaming.

Old 08-19-2015, 01:34 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,842,546 times
Quote:
What it has to do with buses is, why relocate all the buses to the perimeter, forcing riders to walk further, when drivers demand parking for every building? Are they incapable of walking?
I'm sure they're not incapable of walking but I'm sure you can see a difference to the ease of changing bus routes to the perimeter of downtown in comparison to building new parking garages there where buildings already exist. Not sure you're aversion to having a max 5 minute walk is or what it has to do with people parking in downtown garages.

Not to mention the mayors words:

"Mr. Peduto, for his part, insists that a circulator plan could be developed that puts all bus riders within three blocks of their destination, actually improving access compared with the current system."

Last edited by UKyank; 08-19-2015 at 01:43 PM..

Old 08-19-2015, 01:37 PM

4,176 posts, read 2,917,990 times
Quote:
Not to mention the perimeter roads lead to most of the highway on ramps. With the amount of buses pouring into downtown during the morning and evening rush this would be impossible. 100 buses backed up on Grant, Liberty, Ft Pitt, and Ft Duquesne Blvd's. That would be a disaster.

Old 08-20-2015, 08:09 AM

32,606 posts, read 77,287,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
Not to mention the perimeter roads lead to most of the highway on ramps. With the amount of buses pouring into downtown during the morning and evening rush this would be impossible. 100 buses backed up on Grant, Liberty, Ft Pitt, and Ft Duquesne Blvd's. That would be a disaster.
If only there was another cleaner mode of commuter mass transit besides buses that could operate on its own dedicated right-of-way, thereby not being delayed and not delaying motorists via unchecked box-blocking. Oh wait...

Old 08-20-2015, 10:33 AM

6,597 posts, read 8,916,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
But people WILL adapt...
If my north side routes begin terminating at Allegheny Station I would adapt by no longer riding the bus. That's like half an hour a day added to my commute. Efforts to decrease congestion downtown are good, but beginning by making transit less attractive is not the way to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
It takes like 10 minutes to walk the entire width of downtown, a stop on the perimeters would reduce your walk to 5 minutes if you happened to work in the very center.
There's no need to have multiple routes going through town in a downtown as small as ours is.
Now this I can support. A loop around the perimeter of downtown, made up of bus lanes, is actually preferable to the current routes that barely enter into downtown. It would make transferring easier and it would be easier to get off at a stop closer to your destination.

Old 08-20-2015, 11:00 AM

354 posts, read 473,170 times
So right now Downtown is the defacto transfer hub for the entire system. So if someone wants to take transit from say, Bellevue to Shadyside, they would have to take a bus to the northside, transfer to the T downtown, and then transfer to the P1? That would be an amazingly inefficient system. You can get basically anywhere the transit system goes right now with 1 transfer; you just turned that into 2 transfers. And you couldn't hardly get anywhere meaningful without requiring at least 1 transfer. I'm all for finding more effective ways of routing buses through town, but this T-transfer idea is just bad. Transit Hubs are critical in this regard and none of the outer stations can really serve that role.

Old 08-20-2015, 11:13 AM

2,109 posts, read 2,144,727 times
My pipe dream is that the city could reclaim all of its riverfront space downtown (and elsewhere) by burying highways or building over them. There is so much beautiful prime real estate taken up by roads and train tracks. Pittsburgh is extremely naturally beautiful and interesting, but lack of planning and design that favored function over beauty clouds some of that.

Old 08-21-2015, 12:09 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,783,846 times
Bikeways along the river or near the river from Springdale to the city and on the other side, from Oakmont to the city. It is flat near the river and would give people access to our wonderful river views not to mention a way of getting in shape and a safe way to access our region better via bicycle or running/walking. Sadly, I will be long dead by the time this happens. We can't even get that little stretch to Sharpsburg done, let alone all the way up to Springdale. I do commend the Friends of the Riverfront on their amazing accomplishments. I am in aww of what they have done so far. It blows my mind that they have gone so far and really changed Pittsburgh for the better. The amount of people using their trails is mind blowing and it is part of the reason we get such notoriety on a WORLD level, not just an American one. It is a great way to show off our city on those trails along the river and wow, they are busier and busier every year. My hat goes off to all involved in such a difficult task that so many can enjoy. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh