Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 02:58 PM

12,529 posts, read 17,536,827 times

Advertisements

650 bucks? An appraisal would only cost around 350-400. You can represent yourself, no need to spend the extra on an attorney.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2016, 06:17 PM

807 posts, read 616,779 times
That is a good point, Copa -- but as far as I can determine, there is a school of thought that, at least at the first level assessment hearing, a full appraisal can actually do more harm than good. In terms of attending the hearing on your own, some attorneys caution that this opens a homeowner up to questioning, and perhaps the inadvertent disclosure of unhelpful facts, so some attorneys appear to counsel homeowners to send the legal representative instead.

That said, given the small amounts involved in my case, I do give credit to the attorney for advising me that it may not be "cost-effective" for me to spend the $650 for her to attend the hearing.

Of course, to top it off, in my opinion, the factor here that makes these assessments sort of (I'll just say) "stink," (as opposed to the hyperbolic, "the worst injustice in the history of humankind") is of no probative value -- specifically, several of my neighbors, wonderful though they are, have nearly identical homes, but since they have not sold for 10 - 20 years, their assessments are in the neighborhood of $40k - $60k less than mine!

So, I guess spending the money for an attorney, and putting up a pro forma defense, is my own personal version of refusing to go gently into that good night (I'm pretty sure Dylan Thomas was talking about property assessment appeals, right)?

Old 03-23-2016, 12:34 PM

4,359 posts, read 7,526,102 times
With a recent sale I am not sure I would spend any money on an attorney or an appraisal. I would however get an estimate for any recently discovered repairs that you were not aware of when you purchased your home.

I also would be sure to bring up the fact that you got cash back or a credit at closing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
View detailed profiles of: