Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 07:39 PM

12 posts, read 15,665 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at a number of school districts in the Pittsburgh area.

Any idea why Fox Chapel doesn't publish enrollment area maps for schools?

Does this mean it's negotiable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2015, 12:20 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,764,588 times
No there are boundaries. What area are you looking at and I could probably tell you what elementary it is in. I don't think you can just go to any elementary, BUT I am not 100% sure. Maybe there is some loophole? I sort of doubt it, but I never heard of anyone trying.

Old 08-19-2015, 09:06 AM

If school quality is a top criteria for buying a house, isn't it normal to research schools and their boundaries first and then look for houses specifically in those areas? It seems backwards to pick a house first and then find out what school it's in.

In particular, I'm researching the boundaries for O'Hara and Fairview elementary.

Old 08-19-2015, 11:32 AM

10,245 posts, read 10,496,131 times
Have you tried calling the Fox Chapel school district? They might not publish on their website since they revise it from time to time to balance enrollment across the schools. All you need is one parent complaining because they bought a house assuming their child would go to a certain elementary school based on the map on the district's website and now it has changed.

Old 08-19-2015, 12:43 PM

994 posts, read 894,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duplo View Post
I'm looking at a number of school districts in the Pittsburgh area.

Any idea why Fox Chapel doesn't publish enrollment area maps for schools?

Does this mean it's negotiable?
Good question. I suspect that there is a reason why they don't make the map easily accessible. The two schools you mentioned are considered the best of the four elementary schools. We wouldn't want less affluent individuals figuring out how to easily get into those, now would we?

Real estate agents will sometimes have access to an unofficial map.

Old 08-19-2015, 03:02 PM

419 posts, read 442,895 times
Some basic info..

Kerr Elementary
Sharpsburg
Western O'Hara, including sudivisions off of Kittanning Pike and east of Sharps Hill Road
Also-Dorseyville Road to about Glen David Drive ,Hunt Road to Buckingham Road

Fairview Elementary
--
Anything from Fairview Road to Dorseyville Road
Anywhere past Glen Haven on Dorseyville to Fox Chapel Road
Saxonburg Blvd. to Harts Run, Middle Road to Harts Run

Hartwood Elementary

The area along Saxonburg past Harts Run Road all the way out to Route 910, Russelton, Rural Ridge and Indianola

O"Hara Elementary

Aspinwall, Blawnox, eastern O'Hara off of Powers Road and pretty much all of the area of Fox Chapel off Guyasuta Road, Field Club Road, and up into The Forest.

O'Hara elementary is the largest and has the most students because it was a Junior High(Middle School) until the early 1980s. Fox Chapel had two Middle Schools during the Baby Boom Era. This is about as specific I can get without a map. I know approximates, but unfortunately not exact houses where the cutoffs are.

Last edited by Rocket88; 08-19-2015 at 03:26 PM..

Old 08-19-2015, 03:20 PM

189 posts, read 164,666 times
Why wouldn't you just call the district directly? Its an important question so I wouldn't leave it to speculation.

Old 08-19-2015, 05:33 PM

3,296 posts, read 3,854,014 times
There are maps online. Google PA school district maps.

Old 08-19-2015, 06:13 PM

MamieRose: I actually contacted the district directly but they were unwilling to provide any data to non-residents. Surprisingly they suggested talking to an area real-estate agent as they apparently have an unofficial map!?!

Old 08-19-2015, 07:22 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,197,310 times
Attendance areas for school districts are subject to change as the population. I'm sure that a real estate agent could give you the lowdown on the *current* attendance boundaries.

But they are subject to change, some of my relatives lived in Indiana Township near Middle Road, and attended Dorseyville Elementary, but now that isn't the case, they redrew the lines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh