Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 08:19 PM

1,106 posts, read 1,155,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
The current meters take quarters, although of course you can chose to pay off you parking meter costs on time if you like.

Doesn't seem smart to me, but then that's just me.
Spam, what is your concern? Someone skimming your bank card or something?
Just curious. I try not to ever pay for parking but when I do end up at a meter I never have quarters on me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2015, 08:31 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,201,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charisb View Post
Spam, what is your concern? Someone skimming your bank card or something?
Just curious. I try not to ever pay for parking but when I do end up at a meter I never have quarters on me.
I just prefer to use cash money for purchases whenever possible.

Makes figuring out one's credit card and checking account statements a lot easier when most of the charges are gasoline.

Old 08-21-2015, 09:01 PM

15,631 posts, read 26,120,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuburbanPioneer View Post
I thought that the whole purpose of feeding the meter was to be able to park there longer than the maximum time limit.

This online feature wouldn't allow me to do this remotely. So it only really works when I'm parked at a 2hr limit meter, went for lunch and only paid for one hour but got delayed and need to add another 30 minutes or so...

Oh well, I was never a big fan of paid parking anyway.
Time limits aren't about meters. If they mark your tires, and the marks are still there indicating you haven't moved the car, you will get a ticket for exceeding the time limit. The city wants those spots to turn over, to allow others to access the businesses where the parking spots are.

Two different laws at work.

Old 08-23-2015, 07:43 AM

32,606 posts, read 77,274,241 times
Great idea! I can't tell you how many times I've fed the meter on William Penn Place or Seventh Avenue, walked to the upper lobby of the U.S. Steel Tower, and then panicked as I waited (and waited, and waited) for a client to come retrieve an order as my meter ticked away, worrying if I'd make it back in time before having a ticket slapped onto my windshield. At least now if the customer takes a while to come meet me, or if it takes a while for me to sign in through security to go up to the customer, I can just whip out my iPhone and add more time for a nominal fee that is MUCH cheaper than swallowing a ticket.

I was just whining about how State College has this and we don't a few weeks ago to friends of mine. Maybe someone heard me?!

Old 08-27-2015, 11:39 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,622,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tclifton View Post
I wish I had used that app yesterday. I got a ticket 9 minutes after my "meter" expired. I paid at the kiosk. I need to get the app. But as someone still used to SF parking tickets, $25 seems very cheap to me. I think the minimum in SF is $60.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh