Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 06:07 PM

5,110 posts, read 7,109,679 times

Advertisements

I would be shocked if this is anything other than low rise. It's probably going to be a collection of 4 story buildings. Maybe slightly taller...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2015, 06:36 PM

419 posts, read 443,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
700 parking spaces? Way too many! cut back the parking.
I don't think it is too many. It would be deck parking that would serve not only residents, but would be centrally located for shopping, dining, or bar hopping with a designated driver. It would not be a sea of parking. Maybe it would have a 175 spaces per level for a four deck garage.

Old 08-20-2015, 06:56 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,201,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
700 parking spaces? Way too many! cut back the parking.
There are 650 apartments, 700 spaces seems to be too few. Probably need a thousand spaces.

These are going to be expensive apartments, the affluent people that will be living there will undoubtably almost all have vehicles.

Old 08-20-2015, 09:10 PM

480 posts, read 608,438 times
Yea, good luck with that. Hopefully if it comes to fruition then the city will finally lengthen the left hand arrow from 40th to Butler Street. I've sent five requests to 311 about this but it still languishes. The arrow lasts a whopping 6 seconds. Unreal.

Old 08-20-2015, 09:11 PM

480 posts, read 608,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
There are 650 apartments, 700 spaces seems to be too few. Probably need a thousand spaces.

These are going to be expensive apartments, the affluent people that will be living there will undoubtably almost all have vehicles.
Seriously though, they need MORE spots. Everyone has a car. If two people are living in one of these apartments then there will be 2 cars per unit.

Old 08-20-2015, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pghuser View Post
Seriously though, they need MORE spots. Everyone has a car. If two people are living in one of these apartments then there will be 2 cars per unit.
Affluent people own more cars, this isn't old-school Lawrenceville any more, especially with this kind of project.

When I came to L'ville in 07, I never had a problem with finding a place to park the car on the street. At that point in time, it was mostly senior citizens and welfare recipients- people with fewer cars per household. They tell me that the new generation doesn't like cars like we used to. Ain't true, at least with those with the money to live over here. More cars than ever, and the population really hasn't increased.

Old 08-20-2015, 09:24 PM

252 posts, read 346,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pghuser View Post
I know a lot of people who live in Lawrenceville without a car. And certainly one car shared between two adults is plenty in Lawrenceville. There's direct bus service to Downtown, Oakland, Shadyside, East Liberty, Squirrel Hill, The Waterfront, the Northside, the Southside, Greenfield, Hazelwood... You can walk to the grocery store, the pub, the park, the trails...

Too much parking makes the development more costly and just encourages people to drive more. I don't know about you, but I want more affordable housing and less traffic.

Old 08-20-2015, 09:51 PM

419 posts, read 443,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
Affluent people own more cars, this isn't old-school Lawrenceville any more, especially with this kind of project.

When I came to L'ville in 07, I never had a problem with finding a place to park the car on the street. At that point in time, it was mostly senior citizens and welfare recipients- people with fewer cars per household. They tell me that the new generation doesn't like cars like we used to. Ain't true, at least with those with the money to live over here. More cars than ever, and the population really hasn't increased.
Some people just pretend to be green, but they won't give up that gas guzzling SUV.

Old 08-20-2015, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket88 View Post
Some people just pretend to be green, but they won't give up that gas guzzling SUV.
A lot of people over here need cars. If their job is in the North Hills, or Cranberry, or out in New Ken or Breckenridge, its really impractical not to have a car. Not everyone works in town, and fewer will be working here in L'ville after they get rid of the industry on Willow and on the old arsenal property. I know that the McConway Torley foundry is in the crosshairs of the city, as well as the oil and gasoline facility near 57th St.

Less jobs right in the neighborhood means that those who work will have to get there.

Old 08-21-2015, 06:59 AM

14,360 posts, read 16,875,553 times
City parking minimums are only one space per unit basically everywhere, meaning there are no legal requirements to put in more than 650 spaces for 650 units. Presumably the other 50 are for retail.

Given how much people will pay in Lawrenceville to rent alley houses with absolutely no parking, I'm sure that apartment units with only one dedicated parking space will sell well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh