Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2015, 11:25 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,777,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleStraps View Post
I really think that ANYTHING would be an improvement over that whole lot. That Rite Aid is... yeesh.
I have to agree. Goodness, that area looks like a total dump! Hope it is a nice brick classic style though. Maybe with a little green space. I always feel Lawrenceville could use a tree or two or something green for a little break of concrete. Even NYC has some green here and there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2015, 01:58 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,491,469 times
more parking more parking, eh? sounds like an urban haven. lets keep building cities for cars and not people.... or how about add more units, less parking, improve transit. improve the street level retail presence in these projects. integrate them with the community. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy this is replacing a parking lot, but lets keep parking to the minimum.

Last edited by ForYourLungsOnly; 08-21-2015 at 02:38 PM..

Old 08-21-2015, 02:04 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,201,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
more parking more parking, eh? sounds like an urban haven. lets keep building cities for cars and not people.... or how about add more units, less parking, improve transit. improve the street level retail presence in these projects. integrate them with the community.

It would be a tough task to find enough people who both can 1) afford the 1500-2500 a month rent that they will be charging, yet 2) don't own or lease their own ride

Old 08-21-2015, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
It would be a tough task to find enough people who both can 1) afford the 1500-2500 a month rent that they will be charging, yet 2) don't own or lease their own ride
or you could just realize that Pittsburgh is full of young progressive people who want to live a car-less or car-lite lifestyle and use public transit, walk, and live in an urban environment that doesn't cater to parking and parking lots and parking garages. I know plenty of people here in Chicago that can afford $2500 1 BR apartments who could easily afford a car but choose not to. They use public transit and walk/bike. If they need a car, there is zip car, cab, or uber. You can talk about how Pittsburgh isn't on this or that city's level yet when it comes to public transit, but you can start by making changes to the new built environment by focusing on people, retail, street integration and density. This isn't the suburbs. Those who want parking still have plenty of existing options for places to live. Pittsburgh is a blank canvas full of opportunity to create dense, urban environments in sites like this, and they have the young educated progressive population to do so.

Old 08-21-2015, 02:15 PM

3,291 posts, read 2,740,705 times
Quote:
or you could just realize that Pittsburgh is full of young progressive people who want to live a car-less or car-lite lifestyle and use public transit, walk, and live in an urban environment that doesn't cater to parking and parking lots and parking garages. I know plenty of people here in Chicago that can afford $2500 1 BR apartments who could easily afford a car but choose not to. They use public transit and walk/bike. If they need a car, there is zip car, cab, or uber. You can talk about how Pittsburgh isn't on this or that city's level yet when it comes to public transit, but you can start by making changes to the new built environment by focusing on people, retail, street integration and density. This isn't the suburbs. Those who want parking still have plenty of existing options for places to live. Pittsburgh is a blank canvas full of opportunity to create dense, urban environments in sites like this, and they have the young educated progressive population to do so.
So get the capital together and buy some land and build some. during that process you will be required to do a study which will show there is market demand for what you are building. if you can do it, others will too.

Old 08-21-2015, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
So get the capital together and buy some land and build some. during that process you will be required to do a study which will show there is market demand for what you are building. if you can do it, others will too.
so unless I can do this by myself, I can't have an opinion on it? ok
You know you are allowed to advocate for things, right?

Old 08-21-2015, 02:18 PM

Quote:
or you could just realize that Pittsburgh is full of young progressive people who want to live a car-less or car-lite lifestyle and use public transit, walk, and live in an urban environment that doesn't cater to parking and parking lots and parking garages. .

I'm not convinced there are that many people as you describe out there, but then I don't need to be convinced, those investing in the property definitely need to.

I guess if it fails, it can be converted into a senior citizen or welfare recipient hirise. More of those folks don't have rides.

Old 08-21-2015, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
I'm not convinced there are that many people as you describe out there, but then I don't need to be convinced, those investing in the property definitely need to.

I guess if it fails, it can be converted into a senior citizen or welfare recipient hirise. More of those folks don't have rides.
you don't seem to be too familiar with the new Pittsburgh. This isn't 1970. I also suppose you don't realize that public transit isn't reserved for "senior citizens and welfare recipients". How ridiculous.

But go ahead and keep that mindset, it is pretty much what gives people a bad image of Pittsburgh

Hey look, the historic Albright Methodist Church in Shadyside might be demolished for a one story building with surface parking. But hey, it will have parking, so it's all good!

http://triblive.com/news/allegheny/8...#axzz3jO60BSIP

Edit: there will be a drive-thru too! yay for cars..how could one ever bear to get out of one and walk

Old 08-21-2015, 04:02 PM

Quote:
you don't seem to be too familiar with the new Pittsburgh. This isn't 1970. I also suppose you don't realize that public transit isn't reserved for "senior citizens and welfare recipients". How ridiculous.

But go ahead and keep that mindset, it is pretty much what gives people a bad image of Pittsburgh

I didn't say that at all, I just am of the opinion that the vast majority of those who earn enough to pay a couple of thousand a month in rent have cars. That's why downtown developers of apartments pursued the idea of getting residents to the head of the waiting list for leases at downtown PPA garages.

I could be wrong.

There is an opportunity for someone to actually propose a no-parking apartment complex in L'ville. They haven't done it yet, but the opportunity is there.

I have a realistic view of Pittsburgh, the vast majority don't live in areas where cars aren't necessary.

Old 08-21-2015, 04:23 PM

419 posts, read 443,063 times
I generally am opposed to large surface parking lots in core city neighborhoods. We should build more vertical parking garages that need not be eyesores aesthetically. Don't forget about the suburbanites who have been starting to frequent Lawrenceville just as they do South Side. A project like this can actually help the street wall and add retail if done correctly. Look at the 2500 block of East Carson. Those buildings blend in nicely with the 19th Century ones from the steelworker days.https://www.google.com/maps/@40.4277...p7RWbp_hsw!2e0

I'm not an architectural critic, I just know that it has good density and works in that location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh