Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2015, 11:16 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,589,911 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone, I noticed a building on Chestnut St being torn down today and was wondering if anyone knows about redevelopment plans. This seems distinct from the work on E Ohio near Phineas and the Teutonia Maennerchor, but it's just a few blocks past it on Chestnut.

I'm a little worried, because Chestnut is architecturally wonderful despite its ruined state, so I am especially anxious to know if more structures will go. As it is I am sad to lose one.

I know some of you are savvy about city websites etc, so that's what I came here for - information. Please don't turn this into an anti-preservation thread, because I don't have the heart for it right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2015, 02:48 PM

281 posts, read 339,004 times
Pretty sure that the city condemned and demolished that building on Chestnut Street because of its condition, and not as part of a greater plan for that area. Of course, word has it that in that council district, some city demolitions are more about political favors for adjoining neighbors who want side yards than they are about the actual need to demolish.

Old 08-23-2015, 03:15 PM

4,692 posts, read 8,994,483 times
Does anyone know what building was demolished? This neighborhood is one of the oldest in the city.

Old 08-23-2015, 03:17 PM

Many of these homes on Phineas Street were demolished earlier this year. Some of the homes may have dated to the 1830s.

Discovering Historic Pittsburgh: RIP: Phineas Street (North Side)

Old 08-23-2015, 04:17 PM

Sorry, I should have included the address in the OP, was just too tired and sad to look it up. I only know this from driving past, so take this with a grain of salt, but I *think* it's 805 Chestnut Street, between Peralta and Suismon. Looking at Google maps, it's brick with glass blocks on the ground level and some text and stars painted on it from better days. I'm 95% sure that's the one, but again I was in a car and somewhat distracted by seeing the wrecking crew knocking it down, so I might be off by a half-block or so.

Anyway, it was definitely one of the classic old homes in the neighborhood...the kind that would be flipped and sold for $500,000 if it was a mile away in the Mexican War streets, but was allowed to rot and die because it's on the wrong side of 279. Never mind that Chestnut Street leads directly to the 16th St bridge and is a lovely, easy walk to the Strip District. I was sad too about Phineas Street, was just hoping those could be justified if rehabbing the old bank building would help turn around the neighborhood as a whole...but now a year has passed, another building has been lost, and I am just holding my breath for things to change before we lose any more.

Point taken about demolition and condition, as well as side yards...but this area already has several empty lots that could become side lots, gardens, or even sites for new construction like October has been doing over on the other side of 279. As for condition, these are big brick structures...so many of these empty shells do get saved on the North side, so not all is lost, but it's just weird and sad that the preservation is only focused on certain streets and not others. The only real difference between the MWS and East Deutschtown/Spring Garden is money; architecturally speaking it's all the same endangered species.

Old 08-23-2015, 04:42 PM

I agree with all your points, RogersPark. Spring Garden and East Allegheny have been on my radar for a long time and the deterioration of these (among other) historic urban neighborhoods continue to be a source of frustration. The only solution I can see is if the city starts to offer condemned homes for sale before slating them for demolition. I'm not sure that the short-sightedness only extends to the city policy level. I think more people should care about historic urban working class homes and neighborhoods. The oldest homes and neighborhoods are the most historic in my opinion, and should take precedence over things such as making Mt. Lebanon a national historic district. Just my opinion.

Old 08-24-2015, 08:24 AM

14,361 posts, read 16,897,751 times
If it's the structure in question, it has been owned by Joaquin and Karen Almendarez since October 2013, when they bought it (along with the vacant lot next door) for $25,000. They also have owned an adjacent house on Suismon Street since March 2012, which they purchased for $12,500. They also have owned the commercial structure across the street from this block on Chestnut since 2002 - Mr. Almendarez appears to be the owner of Aztec Vending.

The house was not listed as condemned on the city assessor's site, which makes me believe this was a planned demolition. If I were to hazard a guess, he's knocking the structure down for more parking for his business. Sucks, but since the structure is not historic, it's not like it has any protection.

Old 08-24-2015, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
The house was not listed as condemned on the city assessor's site, which makes me believe this was a planned demolition. If I were to hazard a guess, he's knocking the structure down for more parking for his business. Sucks, but since the structure is not historic, it's not like it has any protection.

Yeah, that does suck. Thanks for the info; at least it was the choice of a local business owner and not a sign that the city is getting more aggressive with demolition in my neighborhood.

I hate that we have to debate the word "historic" in relation to these buildings. I'm no expert, but the word makes me anxious, because it just seems so subjective -- and it can cut both ways, because the designation generally adds red tape that slows down progress, when many of these buildings need renovation ASAP before they get beyond the point of saving. I wish that, instead of having to argue about the use of the word "history" we could all just agree that classic Pittsburgh architecture is beautiful and valuable and worth fighting to preserve. I wish people who don't care for old buildings would just buy empty lots -- there are plenty around here -- instead of buying actual buildings and tearing them down.

Grumble grumble sad grumble.

Old 08-24-2015, 09:58 PM

14,361 posts, read 16,897,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkTransplant View Post
I hate that we have to debate the word "historic" in relation to these buildings. I'm no expert, but the word makes me anxious, because it just seems so subjective -- and it can cut both ways, because the designation generally adds red tape that slows down progress, when many of these buildings need renovation ASAP before they get beyond the point of saving. I wish that, instead of having to argue about the use of the word "history" we could all just agree that classic Pittsburgh architecture is beautiful and valuable and worth fighting to preserve. I wish people who don't care for old buildings would just buy empty lots -- there are plenty around here -- instead of buying actual buildings and tearing them down.
I was using "historic" in this case as shorthand for "covered by a historic district" since that would have protected it from demolition. I didn't meant to imply anything about the building(s) in question not being worth preserving.

Old 08-24-2015, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I was using "historic" in this case as shorthand for "covered by a historic district" since that would have protected it from demolition. I didn't meant to imply anything about the building(s) in question not being worth preserving.

Yeah, I know you were using the term correctly, and I know you tend to agree with me about preservation issues in general. But we both know there's a certain population of people who post on here that seriously would not give a dime's worth of their tax money to save even the Allegheny Courthouse, if it came down to it and they had a choice. "Just because it's old doesn't mean it's historic!" -- I'm grateful that they are ignoring this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh