Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 04:12 PM

508 posts, read 883,019 times

Advertisements

It seems some municipalities in Allegheny County are requiring Occupancy Permits for rental properties. On one hand this is probably a good idea to stem the tide of deadbeat landlords. On the other hand, isn't this just another racket especially when those inspections are dolled out to third-party players like Building Inspection Underwriters: Building Inspection Underwriters ? I wonder how companies like them get the exclusive rights in places like Avalon: Borough of Avalon Building/Code Enforcement ? Hmmm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2015, 04:16 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,838,372 times
I'm for anything that actually enforces occupancy rules which are woefully unenforced currently

Old 08-26-2015, 04:52 PM

Fair enough, what about penalizing good landlords over trivial matters? Wasting their time and money?

Old 08-26-2015, 08:06 PM

3,589 posts, read 3,348,344 times
I am a landlord, I don't mind the inspections. They are not bad compared to section 8 inspection. I don't deal with Avalon alot, but underwrighters has been a pain in other areas.

Old 08-26-2015, 08:48 PM

12,390 posts, read 7,041,811 times
There are a lot of issues here, and I could go on, and on, but I'll just touch on a few points.

First, inspections can be a good thing, they can reduce sub-standard housing conditions, this not only good for the tenants, but good for the overall property values in the area.

However, inspections can, and have been used to harass owners/tenants that the local government wants out for whatever reason. They can also be use to discourage certain buyers for purchasing a property. As owners are generally non-residents, they are viewed as easy targets to tax, and or collect fees from, so inspection fees are used to generate revenue from landlords. The problem is of course, like all businesses, operating costs are passed onto the consumer/tenant, leading to higher rents.

Old 08-27-2015, 07:03 AM

1,491 posts, read 1,445,841 times
Having the inspections is good in theory, but what happens in reality is higher rents, and properties that are harder to sell. Having been through a lot of rental properties in Avalon in the past 2 years, I have to question if the inspections actually do much for upkeep and quality. I have seen some very dumpy units that had been inspected and had the occupancy permit.

Old 08-28-2015, 06:38 AM

268 posts, read 382,972 times
Occupancy permits and inspections should be a standard in all municipalities, if they aren't already. I own and rent properties in Millvale, which also requires inspections and occupancy permits every 3 years. This process helps to keep me updating my properties, and also helps keep the neighborhood safer with checks on electricity and ensuring that units have smoke detectors.

I have no problem with them.

Old 08-28-2015, 06:44 AM

Here is my beef, I dislike the concept of a private third-party such as "Building Inspection Underwriters" doing the inspections. Sure, on one hand I suppose it is better to privatize and outsource those functions. At least, from the vantage point of being more cost efficient. This is assuming the private sector does in fact do it for less and does an overall better job.

But as others have pointed out, why even have such a regime when we all lived quite well without it for so long? The costs are indeed passed on to renters just like property tax increases. Reducing the number of "dumpy" houses has the same effect as did the "cash for clunkers" program. It is hard to find a good affordable used car anymore and the price of rental apartments has risen sharply as of late. Okay, sure not necessarily because of Occupancy Permits, but it just seems municipalities are further putting the screws on the wrong crowd. Namely, business and property owners.

Old 08-28-2015, 07:15 AM

3,589 posts, read 3,348,344 times
Occupancy inspections have nothing to do with a house being out of date or dumpy, they just check for safety issues (railings, smoke alarms, chipping paint, electrical issues)

Old 08-28-2015, 08:25 AM

12,527 posts, read 17,435,340 times
Why not inspect EVERY home? Just because you don't rent it out doesn't mean it's in great shape.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
View detailed profiles of: