Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2015, 03:41 PM

22 posts, read 38,272 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking about renting a house in Pittsburgh and Esplen has caught my eye . Real estate prices seem to be low there , so I assume rent shouldn't be too expensive . I've also checked out a few pictures of this neighborhood and it looks quite quaint.

Anyways what's Esplen like ? Is it gentrifying ? Is it walkable ? Demographically speaking is it mainly locals or does it inhabited by a more diverse group of people ? Is safety an issue ? Last but not least , how much retail is located in the neighborhood ? I'm not a big fan of shopping but it would be great if there was a corner grocery store or something .

Anyways thanks ahead of time guys .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2015, 03:56 PM

4,240 posts, read 4,915,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Big Man View Post
I'm thinking about renting a house in Pittsburgh and Esplen has caught my eye . Real estate prices seem to be low there , so I assume rent shouldn't be too expensive . I've also checked out a few pictures of this neighborhood and it looks quite quaint.

Anyways what's Esplen like ? Is it gentrifying ? Is it walkable ? Demographically speaking is it mainly locals or does it inhabited by a more diverse group of people ? Is safety an issue ? Last but not least , how much retail is located in the neighborhood ? I'm not a big fan of shopping but it would be great if there was a corner grocery store or something .

Anyways thanks ahead of time guys .
Anyways what's Esplen like ?

Its a small neighborhood along the Ohio River, that has very old housing.

Is it gentrifying ?

No, not in the slightest.

Is it walkable ?

There are sidewalks throughout the neighborhood, but there is no major buisness district in the neighborhood, and its cut off by water and mountains from other areas.

Demographically speaking is it mainly locals or does it inhabited by a more diverse group of people ?

Definitely more locals. Its not very diverse, its approximately 60% white and 40% black.

Is safety an issue ?

Its not what I'd call a dangerous place, but it is rundown for sure. I believe its bark is worse than its bite.

Last but not least , how much retail is located in the neighborhood ? I'm not a big fan of shopping but it would be great if there was a corner grocery store or something .

Not to my knowledge. Its mainly a residential area.

Old 08-30-2015, 04:26 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,254,431 times
Esplen doesn't have much retail- a couple of bars, an AM/PM mini mart, a radiator shop--- but it is adjacent to the McKees Rocks Shopping Center just on the other side of Charters Creek. You could walk to the Big Lots, Aldi's, Crivelli Chevrolet, and a variety of other stores and restaurants .

Old 08-31-2015, 03:20 PM

252 posts, read 348,040 times
This thread has some pictures: Exploring Esplen

Old 08-31-2015, 09:19 PM

480 posts, read 611,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
Esplen doesn't have much retail- a couple of bars, an AM/PM mini mart, a radiator shop--- but it is adjacent to the McKees Rocks Shopping Center just on the other side of Charters Creek. You could walk to the Big Lots, Aldi's, Crivelli Chevrolet, and a variety of other stores and restaurants .
The Big Lots is now closed

Old 09-01-2015, 04:13 AM

1,901 posts, read 4,377,333 times
IMO its like living in certain parts of Spring Hill, Upper Spring Garden Valley, McKees Rocks by Fedrick St, or Grandview District area McKeesport on side closer to downtown than White Oak, or many Mon Valley/other river towns.

Old 09-01-2015, 10:33 AM

977 posts, read 566,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
Anyways what's Esplen like ?

Its a small neighborhood along the Ohio River, that has very old housing.

Is it gentrifying ?

No, not in the slightest.

Is it walkable ?

There are sidewalks throughout the neighborhood, but there is no major buisness district in the neighborhood, and its cut off by water and mountains from other areas.

Demographically speaking is it mainly locals or does it inhabited by a more diverse group of people ?

Definitely more locals. Its not very diverse, its approximately 60% white and 40% black.

Is safety an issue ?

Its not what I'd call a dangerous place, but it is rundown for sure. I believe its bark is worse than its bite.

Last but not least , how much retail is located in the neighborhood ? I'm not a big fan of shopping but it would be great if there was a corner grocery store or something .

Not to my knowledge. Its mainly a residential area.
How much more diverse than a 60/40 black-white split are you looking for before you'd call it "diverse"? Sure, it's not 50/50, but few places are. Unless, of course, you are using the word "diverse" to mean something other than it's standard meaning. Remember, a neighborhood that's 90% black, 10% white is not very diverse.

Old 09-01-2015, 02:18 PM

2,218 posts, read 1,944,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stremba View Post
How much more diverse than a 60/40 black-white split are you looking for before you'd call it "diverse"? Sure, it's not 50/50, but few places are. Unless, of course, you are using the word "diverse" to mean something other than it's standard meaning. Remember, a neighborhood that's 90% black, 10% white is not very diverse.
I didn't understand that either. What? Is it segregated by streets?

Old 09-01-2015, 02:30 PM

14,352 posts, read 17,012,289 times
In 2010 Esplen was around 65% white, 30% black. It may have gotten blacker since then, but given it's not even its own census tract any longer, I don't think the Census keeps any interim information at all.

The population is dropping rapidly as well. In 2000 almost 500 people lived there. By 2010, only 300. It wouldn't shock me if it was less than 200 now. There's only around 100 houses left in the neighborhood, after all, and a substantial amount of them are vacant.

Old 01-31-2016, 02:57 PM

4 posts, read 6,298 times
Many of the homes have been torn down due to lack of maintenance, fire, etc. The neighborhood is getting re-zoned soon so the city can come in and make improvements. Rumors abound of retail/hotel development close to the Chartiers Creek.

Carson St. is currently undergoing a complete reconstruction including water/sewer/electric replacement from the creek all the way to the West End Circle. Scheduled completion is fall of 2016.

All the bars are gone as well as the restaurant. Esplen is totally residential.

There's a part of Esplen that's been completely forgotten. It lays between the iron railroad bridge and Corliss Tunnel. There are 3- 4 vacant houses there. One under-going renovation, one that's been renovated and two that need work. Compared to the "lower" (from the iron bridge to the creek) part, the "upper" part is very quiet and remote.

The Pittsburgh Transit Authority has taken all of the out-bound bus stops down. You used to dis-embark on the river side of Carson. It was deemed unsafe and there really weren't any riders that needed it. You can still catch a bus into Pittsburgh but, be prepared for a long walk if you come out from Pittsburgh. If you want to depend on public transportation, do not move to Esplen.

One more thing about Esplen. Norfolk/Southern trains run north and south along the river. At the Chartiers Creek crossing they blow their horns as they highball past. 40- 50 MPH. In the "upper" neighborhood you can hear the NS railway trains as they whoosh by. But...behind the neighborhood, CSX has their rail right-of-way. That's the tracks that cross the river over Brunot Island. So, we are sandwiched between two sets of tracks.

Hope this brings everyone here up-to-date. I really like it here in Upper Esplen, lol.

(btw...an episode of "Cops" was filmed in Pittsburgh complete with a car "chase" [more like a "follow"] through the back alleys of Esplen. I was laughing as I watched the 10- 20 MPH chase. It was a hoot!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh