U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 09:25 AM

11 posts, read 8,107 times

Advertisements

Another place to consider for a stop on your way back from the Outlets and Volant would be Harmony, PA. Not enough IMO for a full day but some neat shops to visit and history to soak up.

We had a lot of fun up there last year for their Silvester celebration on New Years Eve (celebrates New Years eve on German time so the kids get to enjoy the ball drop at 6pm).

Harmony Silvester Events

Only complaint was they ran out of Gluehwein too early!

We had dinner at Dell Terra afterwards and it was pretty good.

If you like wine, another place to visit up north would be Foxburg and Foxburg wine cellars.
FOXBURG WINE CELLARS - About Foxburg

You can take a carriage tour FOXBURG WINE CELLARS - Riverstone Carriage Tours , eat at the Allegheny Grille and have a wine tasting at Foxburg winery.

Great time to start exploring western PA with all the fall/apple festivals starting to ramp up.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2015, 04:46 PM

13,905 posts, read 21,281,922 times
There are some Amish in Somerset County too, mostly near Meyersdale, from what I recall.

Old 09-15-2015, 08:47 PM

12,431 posts, read 16,466,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tclifton View Post
So I just took a really nice motorcycle ride up to Punxsutawney. Started out in Apollo and took RT. 56, made a left on 210 (near 422), and took that all the way to Punxsutawney. There are Amish up there, and it's a beautiful drive that I imagine will only get better as the leaves change.
That area is really pretty. Next time take 310 out of Punxy and head North.

Old 09-15-2015, 10:41 PM

2,769 posts, read 1,457,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tclifton View Post
So I just took a really nice motorcycle ride up to Punxsutawney. Started out in Apollo and took RT. 56, made a left on 210 (near 422), and took that all the way to Punxsutawney. There are Amish up there, and it's a beautiful drive that I imagine will only get better as the leaves change.
If you take 210 up to Plumville, you may see some Amish. When I was young (back in the early 1980s), we used to take pigs up there to auction. There were always lots of Amish men and boys hanging around at the auction.

Old 09-16-2015, 04:55 PM

82 posts, read 134,368 times
There are several Amish selling their produce and baked goods at the Rogers Ohio flea market. I can never go there without buying the cookies.

Old 09-16-2015, 04:59 PM

41,527 posts, read 54,102,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
The real Amish don't advertise on the internet. You have to drive down the roads and look for the signs or get to know the places through the locals. The Tourist Amish towns will be a rip off and kind of cheesy.

Maybe not in PA but the PA ones that come to Annapolis do:

Amish Market :: Shop Meats, Furniture, Food - PA Dutch Farmers Market - Annapolis Harbour Center, MD

Old 09-17-2015, 08:30 AM

2,094 posts, read 1,765,126 times
I see a lot up around Jackson Center/Mercer/Grove City PA.....

Old 10-07-2016, 10:01 PM

32,159 posts, read 74,087,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Thanks so much for these suggestions! I also love random country day-trips, and although I'm familiar with Kittanning and the Route 28 corridor northeast of it, I never ventured off the beaten path to Dayton or Smicksburg. Looks like a trip is in order. SCR needs some whoopie pies!
Quote:
Originally Posted by theta_sigma View Post
Smicksburg is cute. There are a few little antiquey/country doo dad stores and if you drive down the road a piece you'll find some Amish-run quilt shops and furniture stores. Just remember not to go on a Sunday!
Tomorrow morning we're finally taking the plunge and going up to explore Smicksburg to help celebrate my partner's 30th birthday! I'm hoping some of the leaves may have started to turn up that way.

Old 10-08-2016, 09:15 AM

6,094 posts, read 4,427,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfax View Post
Lake county Ohio has lots of Amish and it is only a 2 hour drive to get up there.
Is this the only significant Amish establishment in Ohio? I have heard from several people that this is a great day trip for various reasons. None seem to be able to say exactly where they are going, though - how do you visit a place and not want to know where you are in relation to everything else??? Like, "20 minutes south east of Cleveland", for example.

Old 10-08-2016, 02:54 PM

32,159 posts, read 74,087,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Tomorrow morning we're finally taking the plunge and going up to explore Smicksburg to help celebrate my partner's 30th birthday! I'm hoping some of the leaves may have started to turn up that way.
Had a wonderful time! Rural Valley, Dayton, and Smicksburg were all as cute as a button! Lots of Amish buggies out on the roads. TONS of Trump/Pence signs, too. The foliage was underwhelming, but I guess thanks to climate change with our consistently hot Septembers as of late we don't really get good foliage until late-October anymore, even in those higher-elevated northern parts of the area.

We bought two homemade pumpkin gobs, a loaf of homemade bread, apple butter, and some candy. People in Smicksburg were SO friendly, too! We had an Amish man wave to us from his buggy while we were walking down the street in Dayton. We were sort of turned off by how aggressively people in Armstrong County drive, though. We were doing 55-60 on a lot of those windy two-lane roads, and we consistently had SUV's on our rear-end. How can you SAFELY go any faster than that without risking slamming into a slow-moving horse and buggy that may be around the next bend? We went out there hoping to find a slower pace than the East End and sadly didn't find it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh