Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2015, 05:17 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,892,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
I don't know where to procure any around here, but would gelato be more yuppie-esque?
It would at least fit 'little Italy' better
Mercurio's on Walnut Street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2015, 07:09 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,027,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsStanwix? View Post
Not to be a jerk, but I would contend that there aren't enough vegan/vegetarian choices in town. Eden is only open for dinner and on weekends for brunch, other options are more or less limited to restaurants that have options on their menu, but they are not necessarily serving primarily healthy food options. You can't, on one hand, complain about overweight cigarette smoking yinzers and on the other hand categorize places that you deem to be smug as bad additions to the fold.
There are others, but not many.

All Vegan:
Big Idea Bookstore Cafe (food only, they do have regular milk for coffee, IIRC)
Randita's (Just outside the city in Aspinwall)
Amazing Cafe (South Side - never been here, but the menu is pretty similar to Eden. Only open for breakfast/lunch though)
Loving Hut (all the way out in Robinson Town Center - worth it just to go to the weekend buffet sometime, but certainly not very healthy)

All Vegetarian:
Zenith (all vegan besides the egg dish, but not really a full-service restaurant, since they're only open three nights a week and for Sunday brunch)
Tin Front Cafe (Homestead)
ARTspace & Coffeehouse (Point Breeze - only open till five, and not on Sundays, IIRC)
Mixtape - Just opened up in Garfield. They have a small menu which appears to be all vegetarian

Most of these spaces admittedly are not full-service restaurants open for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I dunno why this is such a hard concept to get down.

This fall, the guy who runs Allegro Hearth Bakery and the people behind the Vegan pirogi dinners will have restaurants opening in Upper Lawrenceville and Garfield respectively.

Old 09-16-2015, 07:26 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,258,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Most of these spaces admittedly are not full-service restaurants open for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I dunno why this is such a hard concept to get down.

Its a hard concept, because most Pittsburghers traditionally are pretty big carnivores. There are definitely veg alternatives in many places, but most people who the vegetarians would go with, still go for the meat, so not so many places are willing to go all in on the idea.

Have you seen the Hare Krishna storefront near Frankie's in Lawrenceville? They say they serve strictly vegetarian meals a night or two a week. The Krishnas used to have a facility across from the Panther Hollow Inn back in the day, I ate their once but thought it was too sweet to really be anything I'd want to eat on a regular basis.

Old 09-16-2015, 07:33 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,027,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
Its a hard concept, because most Pittsburghers traditionally are pretty big carnivores. There are definitely veg alternatives in many places, but most people who the vegetarians would go with, still go for the meat, so not so many places are willing to go all in on the idea.
I admit we're a small market, but given there's so few places which actually cater to this market in Pittsburgh it's pretty much a captive audience (particularly for dinner).

Honestly, I'm just looking for someplace which is reasonably similar to what the Quiet Storm did before they went downhill and ultimately closed. A no-frills vegetarian restaurant which is casual enough you don't feel awkward ending up there a few times a week. It seems like most of the places which do exist like that are either strictly breakfast/brunch spots, or semi snooty/upscale places where it's really not a good idea to bring kids.

Old 09-16-2015, 08:18 PM

697 posts, read 778,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I admit we're a small market, but given there's so few places which actually cater to this market in Pittsburgh it's pretty much a captive audience (particularly for dinner).

Honestly, I'm just looking for someplace which is reasonably similar to what the Quiet Storm did before they went downhill and ultimately closed. A no-frills vegetarian restaurant which is casual enough you don't feel awkward ending up there a few times a week. It seems like most of the places which do exist like that are either strictly breakfast/brunch spots, or semi snooty/upscale places where it's really not a good idea to bring kids.
I know it's not a true restaurant but the East End Food Coop is a great place to get lunch and dinner, too. Would be great if there was a new casual veg restaurant in Bloomfield or somewhere over there.

Old 09-16-2015, 09:46 PM

419 posts, read 446,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamieRose View Post
Piccadilly is delicious and fun, lots of unique flavors and different toppings. But be warned, it can get expensive quickly.

And like others above, I agree this area (and specifically the South Hills) could do with more healthy/ vegan/vegetarian options.
Sounds Great. Maybe I'll heed to the advice of Squeeze and meet up in Picadilly. http://www.google.com/url?q=http://w...shgqpU3u1EpLFw

Last edited by Rocket88; 09-16-2015 at 09:56 PM..

Old 09-17-2015, 10:35 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
It just seems like with the addition of every establishment that focuses on the words "artisinal"; "farm-to-table"; "vegan"; "fair-trade"; "organic"; "gluten-free"; etc. our median rent shoots up. This is fine for those of you on here who have great-paying jobs with perks and annual compensation increases. What about the rest of us? I'm about to take on a second job, actually, so I'll be working 70 hours per week to afford the rising cost-of-living here.

Homes on my block are going for crazy amounts now. This ugly as sin place is listed for $369,900, and other "ugly flip" homes in the neighborhood are going for ~$250,000. I could do with less "Seattlization" of Pittsburgh, thank you very much.

http://www.northwood.com/Real_Estate...571-1-1077319/

Old 09-17-2015, 10:51 AM

3,110 posts, read 2,917,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
It just seems like with the addition of every establishment that focuses on the words "artisinal"; "farm-to-table"; "vegan"; "fair-trade"; "organic"; "gluten-free"; etc. our median rent shoots up. This is fine for those of you on here who have great-paying jobs with perks and annual compensation increases. What about the rest of us? I'm about to take on a second job, actually, so I'll be working 70 hours per week to afford the rising cost-of-living here.

Homes on my block are going for crazy amounts now. This ugly as sin place is listed for $369,900, and other "ugly flip" homes in the neighborhood are going for ~$250,000. I could do with less "Seattlization" of Pittsburgh, thank you very much.

http://www.northwood.com/Real_Estate...571-1-1077319/

Not to head down the dark road of this conversation like we have all traveled before, but I prioritize my life in a way that allows me to eat at these "Seattlized" places. I would rather spend money on food and drinks, than live in the trendiest areas. I agree that there should be options for everyone, and hopefully more and more keep coming, but these kind of places are options that are currently lacking in the area, and some of us can afford them, and enjoy them, so why not?

Old 09-17-2015, 10:57 AM

1,653 posts, read 1,585,894 times
The high paying jobs don't follow the fancy restaurants. The fancy restaurants follow the high paying jobs.

And to ILS's point, the traditional tastes of the city may not matter that much; even Omaha (practically synonymous with beef) has some vegan places. Because the new residents will support them. Cities are fluid. If new residents are making 80k+ and have money to blow on five courses paired with wine, or fresh pasta, or fancy charcuterie plates, none of them care that much about the blue collar history of the place.

Old 09-17-2015, 11:21 AM

3,110 posts, read 2,917,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealie View Post
The high paying jobs don't follow the fancy restaurants. The fancy restaurants follow the high paying jobs.

And to ILS's point, the traditional tastes of the city may not matter that much; even Omaha (practically synonymous with beef) has some vegan places. Because the new residents will support them. Cities are fluid. If new residents are making 80k+ and have money to blow on five courses paired with wine, or fresh pasta, or fancy charcuterie plates, none of them care that much about the blue collar history of the place.

Old residents will support them too. Not everyone making 80k+ and who enjoys these new restaurants is a recent transplant. Some of us have just been hungry for this type of food for a while. Also, blue collar history is respectable in terms of a solid work ethic and grounded beliefs, but if it means a life of only turkey devonshires and chicken Marsala, then just kill me now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh