U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 09:52 PM

3 posts, read 3,683 times

Advertisements

I am looking to move and work at Nemacolin and have family in Oakmont. I'm looking for a nice place to move with my wife and start a family. I would be looking at homes in the 300 to 400k range or up to 2400 a month if we started out renting. It looks like Uniontown would be a good spot distance wise but I'm having a hard time finding nicer homes or communities. Any thoughts/input/direction would be appreciated
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2015, 10:41 PM

32,160 posts, read 74,087,209 times
Hello!

Nemacolin Woodlands is in Fayette County, which, while replete with natural splendor, is also economically depressed due to its very rural setting. You're going to definitely be one of "the haves" in Fayette County, and your housing budget will go very far there.

I'd suggest looking into Connellsville and its surrounding townships. It's a 40-minute drive each way to Nemacolin, but it's all along relaxing country roads. Connellsville is convenient to I-76 (PA Turnpike), which will bring you to Oakmont in about an hour. Connellsville has see better days economically, but the Great Allegheny Passage (GAP) Trail passes through town, and it's becoming an increasingly popular excursion for those wanting to bike between Pittsburgh and Washington, DC. As such, I could definitely see some prosperity returning to the town from cyclists jumping off the trail and looking to shop/dine/sleep. The town has basic conveniences such as a Walmart Supercenter, Dollar Tree, Auto Zone, two grocery stores, banks, restaurants, a hospital, etc. There is also an Amtrak station here for a train that runs from Washington, DC to Chicago via Pittsburgh and Cleveland, which could be convenient for day-trips or weekend getaways.

I know your budget is generous, but you're going to also have to be realistic in your expectations. Fayette County doesn't have a very large affluent population. Nemacolin caters to a higher-end clientele, but they mostly arrive from outside the county. Many monied people also visit from larger cities to check out Fallingwater and Kentuck Knob, two of famed architect Frank Lloyd Wright's homes. With that being said you'll probably be able to buy a nice home with a little bit of land for well under your budget and can then invest the rest for a more comfortable retirement. The greatest concentration of upper-middle-class people in Fayette County is probably just south of Uniontown in South Union Township where there are several larger newer residential subdivisions.

http://www.southuniontwp.com/

This would put you closer to work and further from Oakmont/Pittsburgh.

Old 09-16-2015, 06:13 AM

1,439 posts, read 1,291,823 times
how far of a commute would you be comfortable with? There is not a lot of places directly around Nemacolin that fit your bill.

Old 09-16-2015, 07:17 AM

696 posts, read 720,350 times
You might try looking into the Heritage Hills subdivision in (South) Uniontown . Nice neighborhood and easy access to Route 40 - and about 10 miles straight to Nemacolin. Should be mostly in your price range.

https://www.facebook.com/HeritageHillsNeighborhood

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ho...524534!6m1!1e1

In fact, here's a couple of homes currently for sale in that neighborhood (per Zillow):

http://www.zillow.com/homes/53327170...edirected=true

http://www.zillow.com/homes/53327080...edirected=true

Last edited by Thr3stripe; 09-16-2015 at 07:27 AM..

Old 09-16-2015, 11:32 AM

3 posts, read 3,683 times
Thanks for all your help. I would like to be 30 to 40 minutes from work for a range. That subdivision looks nice I'll just have to look for random subdivisions like this I think

Old 09-16-2015, 02:13 PM

696 posts, read 720,350 times
Also, Cross Creek in South Union Township is in development. Once again, very close to Route 40.

1113 Cross Creek Dr, Uniontown, PA 15401 | Zillow

29 Wellington Dr, Uniontown, PA 15401 | Zillow

Old 09-16-2015, 04:48 PM

9,260 posts, read 9,246,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleron11 View Post
Thanks for all your help. I would like to be 30 to 40 minutes from work for a range. That subdivision looks nice I'll just have to look for random subdivisions like this I think
I'm from Fayette County so I'll throw my two cents in. Your options are limited. I agree with what Thr3stripe has said. Those developments around Uniontown are your obvious choices. You may want to look ahead at school options for 6-7 years down the road. What you will find are the following:

1. You have no options in Somerset County. The only districts within 40 minutes of Nemacolin are too small to be considered.

2. Fayette County schools are not very good. Your best bet in the area is probably Belle Vernon, which is actually in Westmoreland County but within your commute distance.

3. Frazier is probably the best performing school district in Fayette County, but is small.

4. The developments that were mentioned by Thr3stripe are in South Union Twp., which is in the Laurel Highlands school district. Laurel Highlands is probably below the Uniontown school district in academic performance. I would take a close look at the Laurel Highlands elementary schools before buying a house.

5. I would stay away from both the Connellsville and Albert Gallatin school districts.

6. Your other option is to look at Maryland. You could probably be as far east as Frostburg, MD and still be within a 40 minute commute.

Old 09-16-2015, 05:32 PM

5,895 posts, read 6,520,010 times
I can't imagine any commute of much distance to nemacolin would be any fun in the winter so might want to consider that too.

Old 09-16-2015, 06:02 PM

854 posts, read 1,469,783 times
Cheat Lake, WV is about a 45 minute drive from Nemacolin but likely will be a bit longer during the winter months.

It's an upscale area just east of Morgantown and bordering on Fayette County. I know quite a few doctors who work at Uniontown Hospital and live in Cheat Lake. It's away from the students attending WVU and the area has an excellent school system. You are still close to Morgantown and Uniontown amenities.

I have relatives in Fayette County. Although there are close to 140,000 residents living there, it's a hard area for outsiders to adjust to. But if you want to stay in Pennsylvania and Fayette County, then South Union township just outside of Uniontown is your best bet.

Old 09-16-2015, 06:49 PM

37 posts, read 43,945 times
Confluence, PA is 20 away. For your price you can have a spectacular house on the westside of town with a view of the Point, the confluence of the Casselman and Yough Rivers. Taxes are low. Small, quiet community.

pgw
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh