Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 05:05 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,200,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
Unfortunately that will never happen with either drivers or cyclists. You will never have a 100% law abiding populace in either the driving or biking realm. Bike lanes, however, make it safer for both the bikers and the drivers, no mater how much the drivers want to complain about traffic or loss of parking.
I have no sympathy for anyone that doesn't want to abide by the law. It's quite funny, however, when those who condone not stopping at signs and lights while on a bicycle because it's too hard to get back up to speed are the same that complain about vehicles and drivers. If it's too hard and one doesn't want to obey traffic laws, walk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2015, 05:25 PM

697 posts, read 778,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeo View Post
Bike boxes are beginning to show up on Pittsburgh streets. I just saw one at the intersection of Craig and Bayard streets in North Oakland. The bike lane is green and expands across the driving lane at the intersection. I would imagine that they will be appearing more as bike lanes are added. Seems to be working well in this part of Oakland.
I like the lanes and saw the green boxes too. My concern is the people who just drive over the bike lane, at least the twisty one on that section of Bayard before Bellefiled. I imagine those are the same people who have disregard for pedestrians as well.

Beyond the reckless ones, I'm not sure all drivers understand how to drive near the bike lanes and how to look to ensure a cyclist isn't coming before they cross into the bike lane to turn right. Hopefully with time but I'm not too confident given how backwards drivers here are about pedestrians. I had a cart in the middle of the striped box in front of waterfront Target last week and nearly got plowed by a driver.

Old 10-05-2015, 05:43 PM

387 posts, read 471,028 times
...But walk with caution, because someone on a bike might need that sidewalk.

My biggest issue is that they want all of it--the sidewalks, the streets, the bike lanes, the trails.

There needs to be better code/law in place & a better divide.

Personally, I'm all for some type of registration & perhaps insurance, licensing, perhaps mandatory cyclists education. I think it's coming.
You can't just hit someone's child or grandma & not have to pay the bill.

Those who refuse to be compliant will force it -cyclist insurance will become a necessary evil-it always works that way-a few ruining it for everyone.

I, jaded I am, refuse to believe that this was all created for the 'greater good'...
Nothing is for free--it will eventually be some source of revenue--& I think that was always the plan.

Old 10-05-2015, 05:51 PM

Registration, license, insurance, etc..., is a great idea.

Old 10-05-2015, 05:53 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,979,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catia View Post
...But walk with caution, because someone on a bike might need that sidewalk.

My biggest issue is that they want all of it--the sidewalks, the streets, the bike lanes, the trails.

There needs to be better code/law in place & a better divide.

Personally, I'm all for some type of registration & perhaps insurance, licensing, perhaps mandatory cyclists education. I think it's coming.
You can't just hit someone's child or grandma & not have to pay the bill.

Those who refuse to be compliant will force it -cyclist insurance will become a necessary evil-it always works that way-a few ruining it for everyone.

I, jaded I am, refuse to believe that this was all created for the 'greater good'...
Nothing is for free--it will eventually be some source of revenue--& I think that was always the plan.
That's already the case. Cyclists are personally liable for any property damage or personal injury that they cause. Cases where that dollar amount would be enough to merit carrying insurance are exceedingly rare.

Old 10-05-2015, 05:55 PM

Unless they hit and run or can't afford to pay. Registration and insurance will take care of those issues.

Old 10-05-2015, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Unless they hit and run or can't afford to pay. Registration and insurance will take care of those issues.
Do you have any examples of a bike hit and run in Pittsburgh? Or a cyclist causing so much damage that they couldn't afford to pay it without insurance?

Old 10-05-2015, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
Do you have any examples of a bike hit and run in Pittsburgh? Or a cyclist causing so much damage that they couldn't afford to pay it without insurance?
Are you saying it doesn't happen?

Old 10-05-2015, 06:07 PM

Quote:
I already said it's exceedingly rare. Are you saying it happens with enough frequency and at a great enough cost to merit insurance?

Old 10-05-2015, 06:09 PM

2,109 posts, read 2,159,200 times
Quote:
I would venture to guess it happens far less often than an uninsured motorist causing property damage that they could not afford to pay as well as less often than an uninsured motorist injures someone. I would take both of those separately compared to the entire universe of incidents where bicyclists hurt someone or did property damage that they could not afford to pay for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh