Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2015, 01:22 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,595,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
How many people use them on a daily basis to justify them?
That was kind of the point of my OP. A lot of people seem to be using the bike lanes. During morning rush, it seems that you never look down the street without seeing at least on cyclist in the lane. The number of cyclists I see looks very obviously greater than last year and hugely greater than when I started working in Oakland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2015, 01:26 PM

2,109 posts, read 2,159,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
I'm a fairly avid cyclist and I love all the rails to tails that are springing up. But spending all the money on the city bike lanes seems stupid to me. How many people use them on a daily basis to justify them?
I've been dealing with traffic and slower riders on the lane on Liberty in Bloomfield lately, so that would mean they are being used at least somewhat. I have also been dealing with a lot of cars attempting to pull out into me from street parking spaces.

Old 10-07-2015, 01:40 PM

1,653 posts, read 1,586,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
That was kind of the point of my OP. A lot of people seem to be using the bike lanes. During morning rush, it seems that you never look down the street without seeing at least on cyclist in the lane. The number of cyclists I see looks very obviously greater than last year and hugely greater than when I started working in Oakland.
https://bikepgh.org/2015/06/04/city-...ed-bike-lanes/

Old 10-07-2015, 01:54 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,595,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealie View Post
Thanks. I suppose it is too soon for anybody to have counted the Oakland figures yet?

Old 10-07-2015, 02:07 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,895,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tclifton View Post
Just to be fair, as long as we're supplying "news"; without the suburban folks that you seem to deride so much, the city would be a ghost town.

But keep looking for the rage, if that's what peanut butters your bread!
Just to be fair, without the same City, which you pay NO TAXES TO, YOUR Suburbs wouldn't exists.

Don't need to look for the rage, its everywhere and coming from Angry, Car-Enslaved, "I Want Free Parking" Suburban Yinzers.

Old 10-07-2015, 02:10 PM

831 posts, read 878,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Just to be fair, without the same City, which you pay NO TAXES TO, YOUR Suburbs wouldn't exists.
Some would, some wouldn't. But it's undeniable that the city wouldn't exist without the suburbs.

Quote:
Don't need to look for the rage, its everywhere and coming from Angry, Car-Enslaved, "I Want Free Parking" Suburban Yinzers.
lol, you're funny!

Old 10-07-2015, 02:11 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,207,721 times
I prefer to pay for parking in the city, especially in a lot or garage. Makes me feel my vehicle is safer than looking for a free parking spot nestled somewhere.

Old 10-07-2015, 02:44 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,895,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tclifton View Post
Some would, some wouldn't. But it's undeniable that the city wouldn't exist without the suburbs.
Oh, please enlighten me it what way would WPA exisit without a "City of Pittsburgh" .... The definition of Suburbs are because of an Out-migration from a Core ... What would be the "CORE" if not the city ... If you have NO CORE, How do you have suburbs?

Quote:
lol, you're funny!
Thanks - So are you, btw, especially with that ridiculous analogy that the city only exists because of the burbs ... That's Hilarious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
I prefer to pay for parking in the city, especially in a lot or garage. Makes me feel my vehicle is safer than looking for a free parking spot nestled somewhere.
Nothing wrong with that .... every city I've visited or lived, you pay to park. Its a lot in the luxury life of owning your own personal vehicle. You pay for gas, you pay for insurance, you pay tolls, you pay for PARKING. I don't/will never understand this entitlement the Yinzers have to Free Parking.

Old 10-07-2015, 03:11 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,260,125 times
Quote:

Thanks - So are you, btw, especially with that ridiculous analogy that the city only exists because of the burbs ... That's Hilarious.
Many suburbs have their own tax bases and their own employers, bb.

More people commute TO Cranberry, than from Cranberry to elsewhere.

If people want to charge a lot to park, people just won't go there that often. If you want to ban private vehicles and make life a living hell for suburbanites, it just isn't going to happen. People will find a way just to avoid the aggravation.

Old 10-07-2015, 03:24 PM

175 posts, read 168,379 times
For those asking for registration fees/insurance for cyclists, almost every cyclist I've ever met has been willing to pay a nominal fee (proportional to the risk they incur upon the public, which statistically is negligable) for registration and isurance if it ensured that there would be a somewhat proportional investment in infrastructure, public awareness, and an acceptance by society as a viable means of getting around an urban environment.

But would that really happen? Assuming the common sense Idaho Law eventually makes its way to Pittsburgh, and riding on sidewalks is strictly enforced, will the naysayers be content with a $10 yearly fee and giving up the occasional traffic lane to ensure that everyone is covered in the event of an accident and that no one is doing something as socially unacceptable as going through a red light when 99.9% of the risk lies with the lawbreaker?

Is there a single fellow cyclist reading this that would not be willing to pay a nominal fee to ensure all of the above was present on every ride, including broad public support?

Charge me if you want, just don't insult my intelligence by claiming my 160 pound ass on a 20 lbs bike is as much of a threat to public safety in an urban environment as your 1.5 ton car. That's just silly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh