Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 06:34 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,592,707 times

Advertisements

This morning I walked most of the length of the Bayard/Bigelow/O'Hara route into Oakland and I was struck by how many bikes there were coming into Oakland on the new lanes. I've done that walk many times at about this same time of day. There's never been anything close to this many bikes on the road. There were dozens in a relatively short time and rarely was the lane empty. It did get a bit less used down by Presby, possibly because for that last block the bike lane is between two different lanes for cars. That may take some getting used to.

Unfortunately, the narrower lanes didn't seem to make cars more likely to stop for pedestrians in the crosswalks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2015, 07:45 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
I'm thrilled!

I can't tell you how many horn-honking matches I was in with people who would cut me off at the intersection of Bayard & North Craig prior to these improvements. I'd typically be heading eastbound (outbound) from Oakland towards Shadyside and want to take a left onto Melwood Avenue just beyond the intersection, so I'd be in the left-hand eastbound lane and proceed straight (as was indicated was legally permissible via the former lane signage just before the gas station driveway). I don't know if that left-hand lane USED to be a left-hand-turn only lane prior to its change to a "left OR straight" lane or what, but on a daily basis people would proceed into the intersection from the right-hand lane and then veer into the left-hand lane immediately upon clearing the intersection---right into my path and nearly into my fender! I was in shouting match after shouting match here, and now, thankfully, this won't be an issue any longer.

Old 09-24-2015, 05:20 PM

778 posts, read 839,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
This morning I walked most of the length of the Bayard/Bigelow/O'Hara route into Oakland and I was struck by how many bikes there were coming into Oakland on the new lanes. I've done that walk many times at about this same time of day. There's never been anything close to this many bikes on the road. There were dozens in a relatively short time and rarely was the lane empty. It did get a bit less used down by Presby, possibly because for that last block the bike lane is between two different lanes for cars. That may take some getting used to.

Unfortunately, the narrower lanes didn't seem to make cars more likely to stop for pedestrians in the crosswalks.
Truth about the crosswalks. This is my daily walk to work and no one in this town has a solitary clue about what to do at zebra crossings. Except for the one on Bigelow in front of the Cathedral, that one people grudgingly stop at. The ones on Bayard? Not a chance. You are taking your life on your hands.

The first few days they had the new lane markings down, people were driving like total idiots (just follow the lines, guys, it's not hard), but it seems to have improved now.

Old 09-24-2015, 06:44 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,592,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theta_sigma View Post
This is my daily walk to work and no one in this town has a solitary clue about what to do at zebra crossings.
But does the massive increase in the number of bikes on that road fit with what you see daily? I'm maybe down that road twice a month.

Old 09-29-2015, 11:31 PM

103 posts, read 110,300 times
I bike there every day and I am really happy they improved the bike lanes and added the bike boxes. I wish they add those to more intersection, it would greatly improve safety. I was crossing the Fifth to Beechwood the other day, on a green light, and was nearly hit by a car making left turn, the lady didn't even bother to look.

Anyhow, I really hope they make those bike lanes green some day and maybe even separate them from the road. You know, like they do in progressive cities.

And yes, the number of bikes has definitely increased.

Old 09-30-2015, 05:32 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,542,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minthotchocolate View Post
I was crossing the Fifth to Beechwood the other day, on a green light, and was nearly hit by a car making left turn, the lady didn't even bother to look.
Drivers and pedestrians don't see bikes.

Old 09-30-2015, 07:58 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,891,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
As a pedestrian, I see bikes. Especially when they're on the sidewalk. Something whispered in my ear last Tuesday night as I was walking home. It sounded as if it was coming from a parked car to my left, which made no sense. Of course, it was some ninny riding his bicycle behind me on the sidewalk. There was no reason for this. It was N. Neville Street at 9:30 pm on a weeknight. He wasn't going anywhere on the block where I was walking, as he rode at least to the next block before I lost sight of him. He scared me half to death with his breathy little whisper.

Urban bicyclists should use those bells kids used to have if they're going to ride their bikes on sidewalks. Whispering in pedestrians' ears does nothing for anyone. I ended up screaming at the ****** ******, which I'm sure was not what he was hoping for.

Last edited by jay5835; 09-30-2015 at 08:14 AM..

Old 10-04-2015, 07:00 PM

103 posts, read 110,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
Only when they are legally blind.

Old 10-04-2015, 09:06 PM

387 posts, read 471,028 times
The bikes shouldn't be ridden on the sidewalk period.

Rant:

Every bicyclist I've met & spoken with in person, off of a bike, tells me they obey the traffic rules to the T just like people in cars, whether it is a bike lane or if they are on the road.

Every time I am on the road driving, I see bicyclists decide the red light does not pertain to them, or they ride up on the sidewalk when it suits them.

Case & point: when was the last time you saw a person on a bicycle waiting just like you in a traffic jam?
Red lights, especially when it's no turn on red, they go EVERY TIME.

It gets difficult being a pedestrian too, it's no joke.
I've almost been hit by bicyclists when walking up on Mt Washington, Downtown & Oakland--on the sidewalk. & It's me and a 100+lb dog--it's not like we're invisible.

Old 10-04-2015, 09:25 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,969,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catia View Post
Case & point: when was the last time you saw a person on a bicycle waiting just like you in a traffic jam?
Red lights, especially when it's no turn on red, they go EVERY TIME.
Strange, I see cyclists stop all the time, so I guess you haven't been around here very long since you claim, "every time". I always get a kick out of people trying to make a point, but go way overboard. Too funny. Thanks for the laugh though. Sounds like you are frustrated. Get used to it, because more and more cyclists are going to be hitting the streets and sidewalks all over the place. As the trickle down crap doesn't work and the colleges/banks/government have all new graduates in debt up to their eyeballs right out of college, cycling and walking is all that anyone will be able to afford unless you are from a rich family and the regular rich family is probably soon to fall into the middle and then lower middle class. This is the obvious trend and is unstoppable. That being said, get used to the crowds of bikes. I sort of don't like it, but know it only gets more crowded from here, due to the biggest ponzi scheme since the bank bailout. College debt. Lets face it, they have us where they want us and they own the government.

Enjoy the wonderful night everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh