Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2015, 06:33 AM

1,577 posts, read 1,281,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
Well it sounds like a great deal of the reason they went overbudget was due to zoning variances and marketing costs. I bet costs could get much closer to the original $100K mark if the city zoned for it and if it was built as a development of tiny homes instead of a one-off. Some of the urban prairie blocks in Cal-Kirk might be a good place for a development like that. But really it's probably easier to just go with townhome style units that have private outdoor space for each unit.

I definitely agree with everyone else here that Pittsburgh seems like a poor location for this sort of thing. You can spend half as much and get four times the space in buildings that already exist.
Yeah this type of activism is sort of annoying, trying to be trendy when all it would take is some good old fashioned elbow grease. I get that they are trying to make a difference but I can't imagine this being looked upon favorably in the local community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2015, 06:34 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,584,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
Manufactured homes aren't real big in Pittsburgh as we have plenty of older homes around for the people's needs.
I'm not personally a fan. I just wanted to be complete.

Old 10-19-2015, 04:11 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,642,526 times
Makes no sense to me for Pittsburgh. You can buy a small house for well under $100k or under $50k for that matter, in many neighborhoods here. I understand that it might make sense in more expensive places, but then the cost of the land will be higher. Most of the ones I've seen on TV have been some form of a house trailer as opposed to a tiny house built on a real foundation.

Old 10-19-2015, 08:54 PM

255 posts, read 284,440 times
It should be illegal to bury a demolished house.

Old 02-01-2016, 12:00 PM

4,359 posts, read 7,523,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
The way I have heard it explained is (provided it can be built cheap, which it can't here apparently) it's basically buying something with the equivalent space of a modern studio/micro apartment, at a similar price point, but with private outdoor space.
I watch the tiny house shows on tv sometimes. They range in price from 30-75,000 but they are almost always built on a trailer.

Old 02-01-2016, 12:04 PM

41,018 posts, read 18,178,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
I watch the tiny house shows on tv sometimes. They range in price from 30-75,000 but they are almost always built on a trailer.
And many travel around with it. Could buy a travel trailer for huge $$$ less than that.

Last edited by erieguy; 02-01-2016 at 12:13 PM..

Old 02-01-2016, 01:15 PM

3,733 posts, read 5,960,621 times
It was an interesting experiment and I think she learned a lot of good lessons in how difficult it can be. The problem I see is that for the same amount of money, or even half, a lot of existing houses can be made livable again in a lot of neighborhoods.

Old 02-01-2016, 02:26 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,970,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeo View Post
It was an interesting experiment and I think she learned a lot of good lessons in how difficult it can be. The problem I see is that for the same amount of money, or even half, a lot of existing houses can be made livable again in a lot of neighborhoods.
Yeah, Pittsburgh has to be one of the worst locations for a tiny house campaign. It only makes sense if you like the tiny house lifestyle...which is hardly distinguishable from the 800 square foot row house lifestyle.

Old 02-01-2016, 02:35 PM

3,733 posts, read 5,960,621 times
Yeah, there are a lot of little cottage-style houses in some decent older neighborhoods like South Side Slopes, Troy Hill, North Side, Woods Run, and a lot of other places. Plus a lot of standard row-houses of average size in many areas that could be re-habbed and rented or sold.

Old 02-01-2016, 05:31 PM

3,110 posts, read 2,913,690 times
I have been scouring city neighborhoods for a tiny row, or even the small cottage type that you sometimes see in Spring Hill for a while now. They are either basically falling down and need a complete to the studs rehab (which is not something I want to take on, but can handle DIY) or they are not very affordable. Granted I want to be somewhat connected to Downtown as that is where I work, and if you are living small you want amenities nearby....these small homes are hard to come by, unless they are complete gut jobs. Perhaps though I am not searching in the correct areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh