Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What neighborhood will do a complete 180 in the next 1-2 generations
Mt. Oliver 2 4.44%
Arlington 1 2.22%
Hazelwood 7 15.56%
Hill District 5 11.11%
Homewood 2 4.44%
Wilkinsburg 7 15.56%
Allentown 5 11.11%
Larimer 3 6.67%
Manchester 8 17.78%
Knoxville 1 2.22%
Other/None (please elaborate) 4 8.89%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2015, 08:00 AM

32,606 posts, read 77,287,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
Two of the three northside grocery stores are small and outdated, and retail is limited to places like Family Dollar and Rite Aid.
Which two? I'm aware of a Giant Eagle in Deutschtown and Brighton Heights, as well as a Kuhn's in Marshall-Shadeland (or is it Brightwood these days?) We are actually about to head out to do our regular weekly shopping at the Deutschtown store, which I abhor, and I let Giant Eagle know how dissatisfied I am with this location every time I get a receipt and take their survey. Is the Brighton Heights Giant Eagle better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2015, 08:41 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,203,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Which two? I'm aware of a Giant Eagle in Deutschtown and Brighton Heights, as well as a Kuhn's in Marshall-Shadeland (or is it Brightwood these days?) We are actually about to head out to do our regular weekly shopping at the Deutschtown store, which I abhor, and I let Giant Eagle know how dissatisfied I am with this location every time I get a receipt and take their survey. Is the Brighton Heights Giant Eagle better?
The "Brighton Heights" Giant Eagle is in Ross Township.

Old 10-17-2015, 09:56 AM

1,701 posts, read 1,587,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
The "Brighton Heights" Giant Eagle is in Ross Township.
Yes. I think I read somewherethat the Deutschtown Giant Eagle is under separate ownership from all the rest, which is a big part of why it hasn't had the same updates as the rest...someone else can probably tell me if I am right about that.

Old 10-17-2015, 10:08 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,203,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkTransplant View Post
Yes. I think I read somewherethat the Deutschtown Giant Eagle is under separate ownership from all the rest, which is a big part of why it hasn't had the same updates as the rest...someone else can probably tell me if I am right about that.
Correct, the Cedar Ave store is a franchise store independently owned.

But it isn't unique in that regard.

I believe the Crafton Ingram and Brentwood stores are among those with the same arrangements.

Old 10-17-2015, 10:48 AM

14,361 posts, read 16,879,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkTransplant View Post
Yes. The owner is the some one who owned the now defunct Lawrenceville Giant Eagle.

Honestly, the Cedar Avenue store has improved considerably compared to where it used to be. It's not a Market District or anything, but it's light years better than the old Lawrenceville GE, or any of the Shop 'n Saves or Shur Saves I have gone to.

Old 10-17-2015, 12:25 PM

6,596 posts, read 8,916,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I'm always surprised how many people dislike the Deutschtown Giant Eagle. It's the largest and nicest of the north side grocery stores in my opinion. The only real downside is all the loitering/jitney activity in the parking lot and bus stop, which really doesn't bother me. Inside though it's a large and modern store; it's not a market district, but it's definitely sufficient.

The Kuhn's in Brightwood was recently remodeled, so it's nicer than it used to be, but it's still a little awkwardly laid out and there's also random loitering in the parking lot, which may or may not be jitneys. They've never offered me a ride like the jitneys in Deutschtown have if they are. It's about the same as the Kuhn's in Bellevue, but it's a far cry from the Kuhn's on McKnight.

The Brighton Heights Giant Eagle is small, which is both an advantage and a disadvantage. The selection is lacking in specialty items and produce, but on the other hand it's an easy shopping experience since it's smaller. Nobody is ever loitering outside, but that's probably because it's on the very edge of Brighton Heights' residential area and not walkable from Bellevue or Ross' residential areas. They don't have very many cash registers, but they do seem to staff the ones they have, so the check out line isn't ever too long.

I typically shop at the Brighton Heights Giant Eagle or Kuhn's since they are both ~1 mile from my house. If I have a large shopping trip to make I'll make the trek to the McKnight Kuhn's. I stick almost exclusively to Tom Friday's for meat.

Old 10-17-2015, 01:08 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,587,748 times
Quote:
I'm always surprised how many people dislike the Deutschtown Giant Eagle. It's the largest and nicest of the north side grocery stores in my opinion.

For the record, I don't dislike the Cedar Ave Giant Eagle. I do notice that it lacks bells and whistles I find at other Giant Eagles -- doesn't the one up in the Waterworks mall offer a kiddie play area? And there are others where you can fill a growler, or visit a bank. I'm not saying we necessarily need all those things (and the last thing the Citizens bank on E Ohio needs is local competition), but it's true that the Cedar Ave store strikes me as a little basic compared to other Giant Eagles.

I do think the Cedar Ave store has gotten much nicer in the past two years, but I sincerely don't know how much of that is just me getting used to it and learning to be grateful that we do have a grocery store close by. It could always be worse.

Old 10-17-2015, 03:18 PM

385 posts, read 307,202 times
Quote:
Two of the three northside grocery stores are small and outdated, and retail is limited to places like Family Dollar and Rite Aid.

I wonder what "outdated" means in the context of a place that exists to sell groceries. What a weird comment.

Old 10-17-2015, 05:00 PM

6,596 posts, read 8,916,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPizzaHutFan View Post
I wonder what "outdated" means in the context of a place that exists to sell groceries. What a weird comment.
Grocery stores have been expanding the scope of services offered for years now. Aside from physically looking dated they could modernize by having a bank, selling beer, adding a play place, printing photos, adding specialty food sections (organic/ethnic/gluten free/seafood), having a small cafe, adding a salad bar, and expanding their ready to eat foods and produce selection.

As I said, I still use the BH Giant Eagle as my primary grocery store, but it's nothing special and I can easily see how some people looking to live in the north side would be turned off by it.

Old 10-17-2015, 05:13 PM

41,018 posts, read 18,008,136 times
Quote:
Grocery stores have been expanding the scope of services offered for years now. Aside from physically looking dated they could modernize by having a bank, selling beer, adding a play place, printing photos, adding specialty food sections (organic/ethnic/gluten free/seafood), having a small cafe, adding a salad bar, and expanding their ready to eat foods and produce selection.

As I said, I still use the BH Giant Eagle as my primary grocery store, but it's nothing special and I can easily see how some people looking to live in the north side would be turned off by it.
Don't forget a pharmacy and bakery. Then it will be just like the ones we have in the burbs. Cranberry GE's have it all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh