Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2015, 04:23 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,254,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
Joining a country club solely for the "social" benefits is going the way of the dinosaur, but when you're a golf enthusiast (and/or enjoy more niche sports like trap shooting, lawn tennis, squash, paddle, etc.) there really is no substitute.

The decline in country club (and to a lesser extent, golf) popularity is taking its greatest toll on the "working man's clubs (RIP Highland and Lincoln Hills). Places like Oakmont and the Field Club need not worry.
Clubs in general were a lot more popular, back in the day. Not just country clubs and other facilities for the elite.

A lot of Moose and Elks and Polish Falcons have closed up in recent years.

Not to say that won't come back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2015, 06:30 PM

9,325 posts, read 12,995,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
Clubs in general were a lot more popular, back in the day. Not just country clubs and other facilities for the elite.

A lot of Moose and Elks and Polish Falcons have closed up in recent years.

Not to say that won't come back.
Also true.

Old 10-26-2015, 09:18 PM

12,529 posts, read 17,536,827 times
For the sure, clubs are dying for a number of reasons: social change, poor economy, less interest in golf/tennis, two working parents, you name it. I belonged to the PAA back in my 30's, it was a great time. It was on the decline then as I was able to join. Originally built by Catholics who were not allowed to join the YMCA, I had to renounce my Wasphood to join. I had previously belonged to the Jewish Y across the street, they needed diversity and allowed me to join. Back in the 60's that was place to belong to with Pitt, Steelers, and the Bucs all playing in Oakland. Relatively cheap, your monthly fee went up as you got older. Maxed out at age 40, that's when a lot of guys would quit. They missed the boat by not selling to Pitt years ago, it's in financial trouble.

Old 10-26-2015, 11:08 PM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
This is true, BUT not for the really wealthy people. Sure Churchill and Alcoma are toast, but the big money places are staying. FCGC, OCC and TFC are solid. Longvue is younger and had a membership drive 10 or so years ago, so I am not sure how that is going? I think Longvue has an amazing building with those great fireplaces. I really love that place and have of course been to the ALL many times and have played them all. FCGC is my favorite course, Oakmont second and Longvue third. I thought the Field Club was just Okay. Sewickley Heights is okay as well.

Anyway, it is a great place to live. I have moved within the Borough three times, so lived in three different homes here. I like to walk, so I am limited on where to live within the Borough. I confess, part of me wants to move and restore a huge home, but it is a lot of work and the taxes will be over a gran a month. That is a lot of burn. FC is by far the wealthiest place in our region. It isn't even close, but I think it could be better. The more people tear down average homes and build great homes the better.

Old 10-27-2015, 06:48 AM

1,577 posts, read 1,282,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
This is true, BUT not for the really wealthy people. Sure Churchill and Alcoma are toast, but the big money places are staying. FCGC, OCC and TFC are solid. Longvue is younger and had a membership drive 10 or so years ago, so I am not sure how that is going? I think Longvue has an amazing building with those great fireplaces. I really love that place and have of course been to the ALL many times and have played them all. FCGC is my favorite course, Oakmont second and Longvue third. I thought the Field Club was just Okay. Sewickley Heights is okay as well.

Anyway, it is a great place to live. I have moved within the Borough three times, so lived in three different homes here. I like to walk, so I am limited on where to live within the Borough. I confess, part of me wants to move and restore a huge home, but it is a lot of work and the taxes will be over a gran a month. That is a lot of burn. FC is by far the wealthiest place in our region. It isn't even close, but I think it could be better. The more people tear down average homes and build great homes the better.
Like other things, the middle class is suffering the most, so working class country clubs will go the wayside. I have heard good things about this Bayardstown club (sp?) and it seems to be geared towards young people, so this may be some sort of trend.

Old 10-27-2015, 07:35 AM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lettert View Post
Like other things, the middle class is suffering the most, so working class country clubs will go the wayside.
True and sad. I felt bad about Churchill and Alcoma going down the tubes. It is a sign of the times and people trying to say in the middle, upper middle have to work so much that they couldn't possibly enjoy a country club. I have watched this happen during my lifetime and it seems if you don't work like crazy, you are headed to poverty. Look at what is happening to Whole Foods for example. Once they went public they are at the mercy of Wall Street greed and that store will never be the same. Their employees sure don't look as happy as they were many years ago. Wealth at the top that squeezes everything out of everyone else. Sad!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh