Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2015, 06:47 PM

4 posts, read 4,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
I agree.
Shared space, in the places I rented, was for laundry use and storage, NOT for one tenant to commandeer it for painting and power tools.
Do you have the landlord's permission to use the space in that manner?

Yeah I did originally, as long as no one got upset. Update, I moved all my stuff out and gave up. It's not that people weren't okay with it that was so upsetting, it was that they didn't listen to me or try to work with me at all. Being screamed at when I didn't even know he could hear it was too much. Shoot. Okay, I guess that's all guys. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2015, 09:18 PM

59 posts, read 89,300 times
Sorry to hear that. There are always at least two sides to every dispute. I guess from the neighbor's perspective (just trying to be objective), you were the hippie artsy jackass who decided to play loud music, and then hosted a party, when this has never happened before and has disrupted your neighbor's routine and expectations.

I think it all boils down to communication, actually. If it's a convenient space for you, maybe it might be better to talk to your neighbor and figure out what bothers him, how loud you have actually been, and see if you can come up with a solution (e.g. only paint/talk/play soft music on weekends between 10 AM to 3 PM or something like that, if he's that anal about it). Bringing him brownies when you engage him won't be a bad idea either. Can't hurt to try, you know?

I also think involving the landlord is useless. The landlord wants to be paid with a minimum of hassle. If I were the landlord, I'd just tell you to go paint somewhere else, and then you have a definite no. It's probably more of a pain in the ass for the landlord to try to negotiate with the irate neighbor than it is just to tell you no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh