Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2015, 02:03 AM

175 posts, read 168,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8YearsinPittsburgh View Post
Let me share a transplants viewpoint.

10/30 was my 9th anniversary of living in the city of Pittsburgh. From very early on to this very day, my biggest complaint of living here is the DRIVERS, not the driving. Since living here, I've developed a road rage issue so bad that I am seeking treatment for it.

Some random thoughts and comments in no particular order:

I constantly feel like I'm driving with other drivers who are on their first day of their permit. Very simple driving maneuvers such as merging seem to be forever difficult.

There's no excuse for the back ups at the tunnels. None. You all drive through them every day, you know where the merge points are before the tunnels, none of this changes on a daily basis.
Some points:

-Merging issues are a bug product of many of our outdated interchanges, some of which even have stop signs at the end of the ramp. This has slowly been getting better over the past several years with a lot of work done to extend on and off ramps and eliminate cloverleaf designs.

-The merge points before the tunnels do in fact play a large part in traffic headaches. If you've ever driven around any city during busy periods you will have realized most traffic jams are caused by significant merge points and choke points, often due to the mixing of traffic and those cars that need to exit right while others are trying to merge left. It's pretty universal. At Sq Hill and on both sides of Ft Pitt, this happens mere feet from the tunnel entrance. And at both ends of Ft Pitt, you have at least 3 routes converging to squeeze through a 2 lane tunnel. It does not take rocket science to figure thats more than just a product of stupid locals.

Two other tunnels I use regularly are the ones on I-77 in WV/VA. Several times a year I go through these north and southbound and every time it's the same story. Traffic going 80 for 20-30 miles then suddenly its 45 through the tunnels, and they just double striped them in the past few years so you can't pass in them like you used to. Am I just stuck in a gaggle of incompetent Pittsburghers every single time I use this road?

Lastly, if you are indeed seeking couseling for road rage issues, you are a perfect candidate for someone who should do whatever they can to move their life around a bit to not have to commute on the road every single day. Drive to a suburban park and ride and ride the bus every day and sip on coffee while you read the paper or do a crossword puzzle. Pittsburgh drivers may be overly timid and have to deal with the road system we've been handed, but seriously dude, if you're well traveled or have even seen videos of how people drive around the world and even in some places closer to home, you should see that it's not worth getting worked up over. For the most part, people are just trying to be safe, often to a fault; but isnt that better than a crazy free for all? Leave a half hour early, take a longer route that at least keeps you moving. Maybe even smoke a joint from time to time, it's not worth being miserable over!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2015, 04:30 AM

436 posts, read 342,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
This is one of the best aspects of Pittsburgh.

I've lived and driven in an area where this is not the case and found it to be hellish.
If you leave yourself enough time in the morning, and exert enough patience, along with being asscertive , there's no reason to wait for the patron saint of traffic to come along. There is greater focus on letting other drivers go than keeping yourself moving

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPizzaHutFan View Post
Drivers have one obligation:

To follow the rules of right-of-way, and beyond that operate their vehicles safely.

That is it.

When you start trying to stop traffic to wave people in to be "nice", you start causing problems.

When I was a young lad, I did this, and a man I worked with in NJ put me off this very properly; Traffic in NJ is heavy, but everyone learns the rules of right-of-way. When you break those rules to be "nice", you're actually just screwing everyone else. Everyone else expects a certain flow, and when you break that flow, you make life harder for everyone else.

Follow the rules and do what everyone else expects. That guy will get his left turn eventually.

THANK YOU!!!!!

Let's also remind this commenter, if you pull that nonsense in metro NY or Boston, your bound to have people physically move you

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIT2MAD View Post
Some points:

-Merging issues are a bug product of many of our outdated interchanges, some of which even have stop signs at the end of the ramp. This has slowly been getting better over the past several years with a lot of work done to extend on and off ramps and eliminate cloverleaf designs.

-The merge points before the tunnels do in fact play a large part in traffic headaches. If you've ever driven around any city during busy periods you will have realized most traffic jams are caused by significant merge points and choke points, often due to the mixing of traffic and those cars that need to exit right while others are trying to merge left. It's pretty universal. At Sq Hill and on both sides of Ft Pitt, this happens mere feet from the tunnel entrance. And at both ends of Ft Pitt, you have at least 3 routes converging to squeeze through a 2 lane tunnel. It does not take rocket science to figure thats more than just a product of stupid locals.

Two other tunnels I use regularly are the ones on I-77 in WV/VA. Several times a year I go through these north and southbound and every time it's the same story. Traffic going 80 for 20-30 miles then suddenly its 45 through the tunnels, and they just double striped them in the past few years so you can't pass in them like you used to. Am I just stuck in a gaggle of incompetent Pittsburghers every single time I use this road?
Going down to 45mph is one thing, coming to a complete stop is a whole different thing.

The constant blaming of the terrain and road design is so old. These roads and the terrain don't change over night. I grew up with a saying: "The more you do something, the easier it SHOULD become". When one person is so timid or confused that they end up bringing their vehicle to a complete stop, it's all done. There is no reason to bring your vehicle to a complete stop unless someone (law enforcement)makes you or something is physically blocking all traffic

Last edited by Yac; 11-03-2015 at 07:00 AM.. Reason: 3 posts in a row merged

Old 11-01-2015, 05:47 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,573,812 times
Last night proved to me that Pittsburgh drivers are becoming increasingly self-absorbed sociopaths. It was Halloween. I was doing my delivery job. We were busy. Regardless, though, I didn't crack 20-25 in residential areas because there were a ton of trick-or-treaters out last night. Reynolds Street in Point Breeze, along with adjacent side streets, was especially congested with sometimes poorly-supervised children longing for candy. I know Point Breeze isn't that jam-packed with children, so I was under the assumption parents from Homewood, Larimer, Lincoln-Lemington, East Hills, and other bad neighborhoods were driving to Point Breeze and taking their children to get candy in a safer environment. The amount of people tailgating me and then speeding around corners on/around Reynolds in particular was staggering. I was thoroughly convinced I was going to witness a munchkin getting turned into a pancake.

When not even children can convince someone to slow down I don't know what will.

Old 11-01-2015, 06:06 AM

2,401 posts, read 2,099,940 times
Quote:
The left lane is for passing. Unless you are law enforcement, the speed at which someone else is going shouldn't matter. Make your pass and get out of the left lane
People in Western PA have absolutely no concept of the left lane. None.

Old 11-01-2015, 06:09 AM

778 posts, read 839,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcider View Post
I've lived a few different places, and honestly no one does, anywhere.

Old 11-01-2015, 06:43 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,573,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theta_sigma View Post
^ This.

I remember on the Northern Virginia sub-forum when people would argue with me that the roads were "too congested" to observe the "keep right except to pass" statute.

Old 11-01-2015, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcider View Post
I agree. I follow PENNDOT on Facebook and a recent post said "Slower traffic to the right, pass on the left, it's not just a slogan anymore, it's the law!" My response? Yeah right

Quote:
Originally Posted by theta_sigma View Post
Have you driven I 95 through metro Boston? Only the most brave of drivers use the left lane

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
The city has very challenging topography
Very curious as to what you find so challenging?

Last edited by Yac; 11-03-2015 at 07:00 AM.. Reason: 3 posts in a row merged, again

Old 11-01-2015, 09:49 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,538,917 times
Quote:
THANK YOU!!!!!

Let's also remind this commenter, if you pull that nonsense in metro NY or Boston, your bound to have people physically move you
This isn't NY or Boston.

Old 11-01-2015, 10:07 AM

2,860 posts, read 1,898,024 times
Quote:
Very curious as to what you find so challenging?
The city has hilly terrain built around three rivers. Of course its more challenging for civil engineering planning than somewhere flatter would be. The hills and bridges can also make things quite challenging in winter.

Old 11-01-2015, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
The hills and bridges can also make things quite challenging in winter.
Only to those who can't adapt
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh