U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 07:21 AM

141 posts, read 428,246 times
While I have never lived in the area, my 2 college roomates grew up in Ligonier. It is beautiful. Very small townish, the Mayberry description is very accurate. Everyone knows EVERYONE. It also has a very cute town square.

Both girls went to Ligonier Valley High school. It's very small (graduating class was like 80, circa 1995).

I will warn you though, in case this is something that matters to you: the area is kinda "sheltered", ie almost 100% white (actually just looked it up on citydata- 99.4% white). Both girls had never talked to an a gay person, African-American, Muslim, or Jew. They knew nothing about these cultures/ethnicities/lifestyles. Can this be blamed on the parents as well? Sure, but there was NO diversity in the area. College in the "big city" of Pittsburgh was quite an adjustment for them (not to mention rooming with a real "big city" girl from Philly! LOL)

Again, this is only if it matters to you. If it is what you are looking for, then great. If not, just a warning. Greensburg is a little bit more diversified, however it is also a bit more "sketchy" in parts, kwim?

Hope that helps!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2008, 10:01 AM

1 posts, read 1,143 times
Default Transplant

5/23/08
I will be moving into the general Latrobe area within the next two to three months.
I am very excited about the move back into PA - it's been a long, full circle for me.
I am un-attached and can pick and choose where to live - no kids so schools are not important.
I would like rural, but not isolated. I can drive to "big city entertainment" if I feel the need for it.
So...what is Latrobe like?
Oh yes, I also like golf!

Old 06-25-2008, 03:42 AM

4 posts, read 6,283 times
Thumbs up Welcome Back

If you're older you may like Ligonier better. I think Latrobe is a little better suited for travel with the airport and rt's 30 & 22 close by. The real estate is more affordable and rents are reasonable. No crime to speak of. Golf courses are everywhere!!!

Old 06-25-2008, 07:23 PM

275 posts, read 373,794 times
Just starting to read this thread and I almost knew someone would have bring up diversity, and sure enough mention there are only white people living there. Strange is that most people dont live in the city but in small towns with little diversity and grow up quite well. Just two weeks ago I met a AA female with two children who came from Philadelphia. I mentioned that you must isolated her, referring to her being black, and she said yes but I came her for a reason. She talked about hearing gun shots at hunting season, but said this was fine. She commented, "Its better than the pop, pop, pop that I was hearing when I lived in Philly". Her children are safe at school the real reason she moved, housing is inexpensive, and she is much more happy.

Old 02-07-2009, 09:01 AM

1 posts, read 912 times
I grew up in Latrobe and still have some family living there. While it will always be home to me, my husband (from Wisconsin) finds it depressing with all the closed businesses and older run down homes. There are nice sections of course, but the downtown area has definitely seen better days. There are newer developments close to the airport, and Lawson Heights is a nice family area. But stay away from the 5th ward! While campaigning there in April for Obama, I ran across some real bigots (told me to get that garbage off their street, etc).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh