Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2015, 11:28 AM

41,018 posts, read 17,988,144 times

Advertisements

I79/Turnpike connector in Cranberry is excellent and gets a ton of use. Just need the HOV lane extended out here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2015, 12:30 AM

14,169 posts, read 22,579,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
I79/Turnpike connector in Cranberry is excellent and gets a ton of use. Just need the HOV lane extended out here.
The Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission needs to build direct interchanges like the Cranberry Connector at every Interstate junction. As for HOV lanes, six-laning the remainder of the Parkway North should be fine in lieu of that.

Old 11-05-2015, 01:38 AM

1,146 posts, read 1,404,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITairport View Post
I generally support highway development when it makes sense, but one of the biggest wastes IMO was the construction of Toll 66 from New Stanton to Delmont. That money should have been used for a Murrysville bypass discussed here... an extension of the Parkway East to just east of Delmont. It would have been so much more successful for the Turnpike Commission.

The frustrating thing about PA is having highways where we don't need them, such as the MFE south of I-70 and Toll 66. We also have stretches of highway that are duplicate, such as I-81 and I-476 between Wilkes-Barre and Scranton. Another example is 119/66 and the Turnpike in the New Stanton Area. About 10 miles of highway in that area are nearly parallel and could have used the same pavement. Yet another example of this is I-79 and the Turnpike in the Cranberry area. Pittsburgh could have had its beltway with these duplicate stretches of highway.
I believe the primary reason for Toll 66 was to route truck traffic away from Downtown Greensburg. It seems like it worked for that purpose but the road is mostly dead and it pretty much a speedway. Pretty much has been since it opened. There is also the Route 30 bypass of Downtown Greensburg which is a limited access highway and is best stretch of Route 30 west of Latrobe.

I never liked the Route 22 stretch through Murrysville. The spacing between the lights, the timing, its just not very fluid.

Old 01-06-2016, 07:23 AM

32,603 posts, read 77,247,404 times
Well, twenty of the signals through this corridor are soon going to be better-synchronized, so hopefully Murrysville won't be so awful to drive through in the future.

Broken part delays Route 22 traffic signal project | TribLIVE

Old 01-06-2016, 07:36 AM

30 posts, read 61,933 times
It's actually very helpful to know that they are working on this issue. Thanks for sharing this article.

Old 01-06-2016, 09:14 AM

175 posts, read 167,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Well, twenty of the signals through this corridor are soon going to be better-synchronized, so hopefully Murrysville won't be so awful to drive through in the future.

Broken part delays Route 22 traffic signal project | TribLIVE
A Band-Aid...sure it will help for a handful of years but it won't change the fact that a commute to downtown from Murrysville or Delmont is among the worst I can imagine. I wonder how many work at the airport or in Robinson and do this commute, I'm sure there are some.

No doubt this project will be appreciated by many for years to come, but still, $2 million to re-time some traffic lights? Imagine what we could do with our money if this stuff had a reasonable price tag attached to it. In Madrid they built a new 4.5 mile tunnel for high speed rail directly under the city for something like $250 million USD, and it costs us $2 million to retime some traffic lights and $500+ million to dig a tunnel under a river (with a top speed of aprox 8 Mph)

Old 01-06-2016, 09:20 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,522,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PIT2MAD View Post
In Madrid they built a new 4.5 mile tunnel for high speed rail directly under the city for something like $250 million USD, and it costs us $2 million to retime some traffic lights and $500+ million to dig a tunnel under a river (with a top speed of aprox 8 Mph)
I think you're comparing the cost of just digging the tunnel on the the one hand with the cost of digging the tunnel and putting in all the equipment and building the stations on the other.

Old 01-06-2016, 12:31 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,447,679 times
Is Murrysville really growing that much? I don't really know, I know house sales compared to say, anywhere North or even against Norwin aren't very much but maybe its all new construction? I know there were a few put up in what was once Delmont, maybe its Murrysville now. Entire East seem pretty stagnant at best except Cranberry Junior, a.k.a. North Huntingdon.

Its always sucked to drive in Murrsyville and its always been a god awful commute to downtown.

Old 01-06-2016, 12:39 PM

1,577 posts, read 1,271,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by safak View Post
Is Murrysville really growing that much? I don't really know, I know house sales compared to say, anywhere North or even against Norwin aren't very much but maybe its all new construction? I know there were a few put up in what was once Delmont, maybe its Murrysville now. Entire East seem pretty stagnant at best except Cranberry Junior, a.k.a. North Huntingdon.

Its always sucked to drive in Murrsyville and its always been a god awful commute to downtown.
i'm guessing a good amount of new construction based on the commercial activity on 22, but not really sure. good schools out that way. maybe people are commuting to greensburg? commute to Pittsburgh is bad indeed but people do it

Old 01-06-2016, 01:12 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,447,679 times
you can't really base it on commercial activity because it was always under served. They just wouldn't let anything worth going to in, (but light manufacturing to tax was ok)
even putting the sheetz in took like 8 years to pass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh