Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2015, 01:14 PM

29,739 posts, read 34,362,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by head_start View Post
I emailed Mozart to double-check and you definitely have to have a cosigner if you're a graduate student. Good credit, age, employment/rental history, savings in the bank, etc. None of that matters if you're a student at any level. I emailed a couple of the other management companies as well, but I won't be shocked to hear the same thing.
Do you have to rent through a management company? An awful lot of rentals in Pittsburgh are with private landlords who may be able to throw you a bone, but they're probably not advertising this early for what you need.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2015, 01:18 PM

24 posts, read 70,369 times
No, I won't have a job when I move to Pittsburgh.

Old 11-02-2015, 01:23 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,254,431 times
Quote:
No, I won't have a job when I move to Pittsburgh.

Unless you can explain to a landlord how you will be paying your rent, and convince them that you will pay without fail, you have a difficult row to hoe.

Its difficult, and time consuming to evict someone in Allegheny county, as the poster from ML pointed out a couple of years ago.

Maybe if you pay for the year up front?

Old 11-02-2015, 01:27 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,588,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
Maybe if you pay for the year up front?
I would think paying for a whole year up front would put you in a very vulnerable position. You'd have no leverage at all if the place wasn't kept up. A double security deposit seems more than reasonable.

Old 11-02-2015, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Do you have to rent through a management company? An awful lot of rentals in Pittsburgh are with private landlords who may be able to throw you a bone, but they're probably not advertising this early for what you need.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure I'm going to end up with a private landlord.

Before I got a clue about cosigners and whatnot, I was only leaning towards management companies because a lot of times it's easier to get things sorted out from a distance. Mozart said they'll be posting their August availability mid-February and I'd imagine the other companies have a similar timeframe. I've only ever had to give 2 months notice at max when moving out of apartment. I'm guessing the private landlords wouldn't be posting until after April if they have shorter notice periods? Or maybe they're on the same timetable as the management companies? I'm not too far away (Philly-area) so I can take off work for a few days to go pound the pavement after the private landlords start advertising.

Old 11-02-2015, 01:32 PM

29 posts, read 25,880 times
Here is something that might help you. There is a group on Facebook where people post places that need rented out. Usually they are college students and have roommates. I am sure there are people on there subletting and/or needing roomies that don't care about co-signing if you can provide enough money up front.

Check it out: "Housing and roommates at Pittsburgh" https://www.facebook.com/groups/293902804037190/

Last edited by PghCity; 11-02-2015 at 01:41 PM..

Old 11-02-2015, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
I would think paying for a whole year up front would put you in a very vulnerable position. You'd have no leverage at all if the place wasn't kept up. A double security deposit seems more than reasonable.
I could pay for a whole year, but a friend warned me away from that option as well. Maybe even just a few months in advance would make a difference.

In terms of how I'll prove I can pay, I have quite it a bit in savings and could show proof of that with a bank statement. I'll also have the financial aid letter from my school that shows a scholarship covering tuition and the student loans (about 20K year) that are meant to cover living expenses. I'll use my savings to cover many things, but I don't want to deplete it down to $0.

Old 11-02-2015, 01:42 PM

3,291 posts, read 2,768,878 times
You could use an escrow account, as opposed to giving a full year to a landlord directly.

Old 11-02-2015, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghCity View Post
Here is something that might help you. There is a group on Facebook where people post places that need rented out. Usually they are college students and have roommates. I am sure there are people on there subletting and/or needing roomies that don't care about co-signing if you can provide enough money up front.

Check it out: "Housing and roommates at Pittsburgh" https://www.facebook.com/groups/293902804037190/
Thanks for this! I've been looking at Craigslist as well to get a feel for the whole roommate thing. That'd be weird. I've lived on my own for so long now! But you do what you gotta do.

Old 11-02-2015, 01:43 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,588,550 times
Quote:
I could pay for a whole year, but a friend warned me away from that option as well. Maybe even just a few months in advance would make a difference.

In terms of how I'll prove I can pay, I have quite it a bit in savings and could show proof of that with a bank statement. I'll also have the financial aid letter from my school that shows a scholarship covering tuition and the student loans (about 20K year) that are meant to cover living expenses. I'll use my savings to cover many things, but I don't want to deplete it down to $0.
I gather things have gotten more stringent since I was in school, but paying all in advance is ridiculous. You get bad apples everywhere, but as a class, landlords are bigger cheats than tenants. Be sure whatever you do pay is written down on the lease so nobody tries anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh