Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2015, 04:23 PM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,835,021 times

Advertisements

Guess this is a sign of the times as little kids are exposed to so much violence on their smartphones/Internet. The principal says kids as young as kindergarten. I wish I could invest in private school somehow, but there is no stock issued. lol I think you are going to see more and more wealthier parents moving kids to private and that will include what people may consider better schools. After that video went viral with that officer manhandling that student the other day, I was just waiting for more and more crap to happen to teachers, since there is no way of disciplining them now.

It only gets worse from here.

Woodland Hills Teachers Claim Elementary School Students Assaulted Them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2015, 04:32 PM

41,018 posts, read 18,067,186 times
Discipline starts at home.

Smartphone/internet is a scapegoat.

Old 11-06-2015, 05:00 PM

9,321 posts, read 12,935,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Discipline starts at home.

Smartphone/internet is a scapegoat.
Woodland Hills has also had rampant disciplinary issues for almost two decades--well before smartphones.

Old 11-06-2015, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
Woodland Hills has also had rampant disciplinary issues well before smartphones.
Absolutely. There's just more media attention paid to many things that weren't reported before. 3 hours of local news has long been replaced by 24 hour local news via smartphone/internet. Tough to fill all that time. Those that report these issues from the media are highly influenced by info on smartphones, however.

Old 11-06-2015, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
Woodland Hills has also had rampant disciplinary issues for almost two decades--well before smartphones.
At the elementary level? Why didn't the teachers file before?

Old 11-06-2015, 05:16 PM

9,321 posts, read 12,935,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
At the elementary level? Why didn't the teachers file before?
I can't watch the video now, but according to this print article, the teachers' union filed a grievance. If that's what you're referring to, teachers' unions file grievances under even the best of circumstances:

Woodland Hills school principal placed on leave | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

This has probably been a long time coming.

Kids have been using smartphones younger and younger, but I doubt that's the cause here. Also, smartphone usage is no less widespread at fancy private schools.

Old 11-06-2015, 05:25 PM

1,653 posts, read 1,579,283 times
News report from 2009, multiple teachers that year, one of them pregnant.
Pregnant teacher assaulted at Woodland Hills elementary, district official says | TribLIVE

Old 11-06-2015, 06:33 PM

I guess no one is watching the video. There are over 10 attacks on teachers that are documented. I also don't think you understand what little kids are watching on those smartphones. They are watching the viral videos everyone else is, like that cop dragging that girl out of the classroom and immediately getting fired. The students even this young know a teacher can't lay a hand on them, so what will be the end result?

Old 11-06-2015, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
I guess no one is watching the video. There are over 10 attacks on teachers that are documented. I also don't think you understand what little kids are watching on those smartphones. They are watching the viral videos everyone else is, like that cop dragging that girl out of the classroom and immediately getting fired. The students even this young know a teacher can't lay a hand on them, so what will be the end result?
You're assuming. How do you know they all have access to and are watching these videos on smartphones and acting out because of it?

Old 11-06-2015, 06:40 PM

I just think a long time ago there was actually a good school there for Edgewood to attend. What a shame that merger happened. Talk about destroying another town. Sick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh