Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2015, 11:35 AM

14,362 posts, read 16,949,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
So what proof do you have for this? Has Al-Qaeda or ISIS or anyone else released a statement saying "we'll make you change your behavior through fear! Our goal is to make you refuse to accept refugees!"? Or are you guys just making stuff up?
And the damage done is insignificant to an organized act of war because that is precisely what "terrorism" means. It means violent acts, committed by people who usually belong to a group and adhere to a certain ideology, but aren't part of a military group.
See here. The literal dictionary definition of Terrorism is...

Quote:
1.the use of violence and threats to intimidate or coerce, especially for political purposes.
The U.S. defines terrorism as...

Quote:
premeditated, politically motivated violence perpetrated against noncombatant targets by subnational groups or clandestine agents.
Another definition for international terrorism in U.S. law is...

Quote:
(1) [T]he term 'international terrorism' means activities that —
(A) involve violent acts or acts dangerous to human life that are a violation of the criminal laws of the United States or of any State, or that would be a criminal violation if committed within the jurisdiction of the United States or of any State;
(B) appear to be intended —
(i) to intimidate or coerce a civilian population;
(ii) to influence the policy of a government by intimidation or coercion; or
(iii) to affect the conduct of a government by mass destruction, assassination, or kidnapping; and

(C) occur primarily outside the territorial jurisdiction of the United States, or transcend national boundaries in terms of the means by which they are accomplished, the persons they appear intended to intimidate or coerce, or the locale in which their perpetrators operate or seek asylum".[55]
If there is no political objective, it's not terrorism, it's merely senseless mayhem. Terrorist activities have the intent to cause fear and/or change government policy. Their success is thus measured by this metric, not the body count.

Old 11-17-2015, 11:35 AM

2,218 posts, read 1,938,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Bingo. No wonder their neighbors moved to the burbs. Listening to that all the time would make anyone move.

Hey.. did you read the article posted by norcider? You should be able to relate...

From an ISIS query about Syrian immigrants...

“Would You Exchange What Is Better For What Is Less?" is the title of one video message. It sounds more than a little like a note from a jilted ex."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...hate-refugees/

Old 11-17-2015, 11:36 AM

2,529 posts, read 2,086,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Bobby Jindal's parents were not refugees. They did, however, immigrate to the U.S. four months before his birth. Thus according to some who want to end birthright citizenship, he should not be considered an American.
I am aware of that. After having a close (American born) Indian friend I can tell you why his family came here; for a chance at a better life and to escape really bad conditions in India.

Old 11-17-2015, 11:39 AM

14,362 posts, read 16,949,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcider View Post
I am aware of that. After having a close (American born) Indian friend I can tell you why his family came here; for a chance at a better life and to escape really bad conditions in India.
I don't think this is true actually. His parents were pretty secure members of the middle class in India. My understanding is the sole reason they decided to stay in the U.S. for his birth is because his mother was swayed by the promise of a month of paid maternity leave.

Old 11-17-2015, 11:39 AM

41,018 posts, read 18,109,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merge View Post
Hey.. did you read the article posted by norcider? You should be able to relate...

From an ISIS query about Syrian immigrants...

“Would You Exchange What Is Better For What Is Less?" is the title of one video message. It sounds more than a little like a note from a jilted ex."

A lot of posts here about those that leave an area sound like they're from a "jilted ex".

Old 11-17-2015, 11:41 AM

5,088 posts, read 2,298,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcider View Post
No, he's right, that actually was one of the goals by ISIS. Keep the turmoil going, make the refugees suffer, keep people in fear etc. It's all out there, go look for it. Nevermind, here you go:

All right, I read the article. I looked for the quote where a member of ISIS says that their goal is to keep us from accepting refugees. It isn't there. This author is just stating his own opinion, which doesn't make a whole lot of sense: "ISIS are terrorizing people in Syria, to make them try to flee to the West, in order to make people from the West turn them away, which will make them hate the west." Oh really? Man, that's some James Bond villain level scheme there.

Old 11-17-2015, 11:46 AM

5,088 posts, read 2,298,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Bingo. No wonder their neighbors moved to the burbs. Listening to that all the time would make anyone move.
As a lifelong city boy I hate to say it, but I see your point.

Old 11-17-2015, 11:46 AM

2,529 posts, read 2,086,413 times
Quote:
All right, I read the article. I looked for the quote where a member of ISIS says that their goal is to keep us from accepting refugees. It isn't there. This author is just stating his own opinion, which doesn't make a whole lot of sense: "ISIS are terrorizing people in Syria, to make them try to flee to the West, in order to make people from the West turn them away, which will make them hate the west." Oh really? Man, that's some James Bond villain level scheme there.
Unless you have been asleep, ISIS is the closest thing to the villains in any James Bond movie, except that they are real. Hey, you asked if he was making it up, I proved you otherwise with a citation. It is really hard to fathom that they aren't just some greenhorns making this up as they go along, but rather have a long view look at things and understand what makes people tick.

Old 11-17-2015, 11:48 AM

385 posts, read 308,327 times
Quote:
I said that the point of terrorism is coercion through fear and that the body count is irrelevant; I said nothing about the point of terrorism to be "to keep America from taking in Syrian refugees" (although the point of some of ISIS's terrorist activities is to displace those "undesirables" from Syria). You are bad at this.

Old 11-17-2015, 11:48 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,809,811 times
Even if there is only 1 terrorist for every 10,000 refugees that is too much. The security of Americans should be the #1 concern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh