Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 07:47 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,022,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
You have no idea if the Syrians coming to Pittsburgh are educated or not.
You're right, I don't. But provided we take them in from the same sources as Europe, they are probably going to have broadly similar background.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ny789987 View Post
Yes, we are. Like it or not, ISIS and the remnants of Al-Qaeda are actively at war with us. They have affirmatively declared that the Paris attacks were just a prelude of what is to come. They have openly admitted to and bragged about using the refugee crisis as a way to sneak foreign fighters into western nations in order to engage in jihad.
The threat of terrorism we have in this country is nothing compared to what the refugees deal with on a daily basis though. I mean, I understand on a public policy level that the U.S. government needs to look after the interests of its own citizens first and foremost. But at the same time I don't think my life is any more valuable than a Syrian just because I happened to be born here.

Old 11-16-2015, 07:49 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,022,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
Unless one can prove to me that we are 100% sure that any refugee allowed here is not & never will be a radical islamacist then it's not worth risking the lives of a single Pennsylvanian in my opinion. Parisians were compassionate in allowing refugees into their fine city & im sure if you asked the families of those killed they would have a different opinion now of that compassion
Last I checked they now believe that all of the shooters/suicide bombers were EU citizens. The Syrian passport may be a "false flag" operation to sow discord.

Old 11-16-2015, 07:50 PM

2,218 posts, read 1,945,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Schwabe View Post
That's just a strange statement to make. I guess macabre jokes are still in vogue.
^ Truly made me laugh. Perfect. Deja vu.

Old 11-16-2015, 07:56 PM

2,218 posts, read 1,945,049 times
Quote:
It wasn't a joke at all

Unless one can prove to me that we are 100% sure that any refugee allowed here is not & never will be a radical islamacist then it's not worth risking the lives of a single Pennsylvanian in my opinion. Parisians were compassionate in allowing refugees into their fine city & im sure if you asked the families of those killed they would have a different opinion now of that compassion
I feel the same away about a lot of NRA members, but I'm not trying to exclude them from living here. You'd have as much chance of some good ol' American gun-lovin' nutjob extremist shooting you amongst a group of randoms as you would have of getting attacked by one of the 500 Syrian refugees. But trading on fear is big business here in America, especially in the midst of the presidential election campaigns... so have at it if you must.

Old 11-16-2015, 08:00 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,200,791 times
Thank goodness for the NRA. Stuff like this makes me appreciate them and the Right to Bear Arms more everyday.

Old 11-16-2015, 08:01 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,542,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
You're right, I don't. But provided we take them in from the same sources as Europe, they are probably going to have broadly similar background.
That's not reassuring and I'm not talking about education levels.

Old 11-16-2015, 08:03 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,542,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Last I checked they now believe that all of the shooters/suicide bombers were EU citizens. The Syrian passport may be a "false flag" operation to sow discord.
May be it's a false flag.

May be they'll be educated.

And maybe it's not and they won't.

Where do you imagine all those weapons came from that were used?

Old 11-16-2015, 08:04 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,881,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merge View Post
I feel the same away about a lot of NRA members, but I'm not trying to exclude them from living here. You'd have as much chance of some good ol' American gun-lovin' nutjob extremist shooting you amongst a group of randoms as you would have of getting attacked by one of the 500 Syrian refugees. But trading on fear is big business here in America, especially in the midst of the presidential election campaigns... so have at it if you must.
So by you're own admission they may be dangerous.

Sorry if I don't see the necessity of adding another possibly dangerous element to our society.

Old 11-16-2015, 08:06 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,200,791 times
Quote:
So by you're own admission they may be dangerous.
No worries. Peduto and city government says it's all good, then it's all good.

Old 11-16-2015, 08:07 PM

618 posts, read 692,124 times
Quote:
It wasn't a joke at all

I don't have to prove anything to the ignorant and fearful. Show me the risk. Prove to me that you are 100% sure an attack is coming. Extremes like this help no one and stifle the conversation.

It is certainly amusing that two days after making that faux outrage statement in the minimum wage thread you're engaging in exactly the kind of ridiculous attacks on the Peduto plan as predicted, using the attacks to score cheap points. Those terrorists were by and large Belgian and French citizens. Of course this doesn't fit your narrative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merge
Seriously. I don't understand why these guys are even bothering with this thread while they could be usefully employing their energy on facebook, blaming Obama and Peduto for the Paris attacks.
Like goddamned clockwork. Didn't even take 48 hours.

Anyway, fearful and threatened middle-aged white men - I'll leave you to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh