Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 05:53 AM

6,358 posts, read 5,055,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forging Steel View Post
Was Fullerton Street originally a part of the grid before the arena site was there? And did it carry the same name? I hope so, I think it's a cool nod to history to revive a dead paper street after so many years.
Hope this link works*:

maps:*002e1928*1

Looks like it certainly WAS there prior to redevlopment. Good call!

*For the map at that link, if you can discern just from the layout where Washington Place is (wider than usual road, running NW/SE for not a long distance), you can locate Fullerton Street. Fullerton is parallel to Washington Place, and a few streets east. You zoom in, but it will be blury until you click on the map to get it to come into focus. At least that worked for me, using Chrome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2016, 07:58 AM

595 posts, read 600,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
Hope this link works*:

maps:*002e1928*1

Looks like it certainly WAS there prior to redevlopment. Good call!

*For the map at that link, if you can discern just from the layout where Washington Place is (wider than usual road, running NW/SE for not a long distance), you can locate Fullerton Street. Fullerton is parallel to Washington Place, and a few streets east. You zoom in, but it will be blury until you click on the map to get it to come into focus. At least that worked for me, using Chrome.
Looks like there were trolley lines on both Fullerton and Wylie in the sections being rebuilt. Also interesting to see that Centre Ave originally ended at Fullerton.

I wouldn't even want to imagine what a cluster that entire area was back in the day. Fewer thoroughfares, more traffic, the convergence of 3 different grid patterns leading to a high number of intersections, likely higher traffic volumes, trolleys everywhere, though the older trolleys at least didn't have such a complicated mess of overhead lines.

As much as I'd like to romanticize about a time where quaint little trolleys roamed the streets like in a Mr. Rogers fairy-tale, that area was a freaking mess.

Old 12-15-2016, 05:22 AM

42 posts, read 32,752 times
Too bad it will never happen. The Hill District CDC President hates white men. She has put a stop to anyone trying to do business in the Hill Disrict that isn't black or a female. Tell me I'm wrong... I've tried many times and I know others.

Old 12-16-2016, 09:43 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurghDTownLove View Post
Too bad it will never happen. The Hill District CDC President hates white men. She has put a stop to anyone trying to do business in the Hill Disrict that isn't black or a female. Tell me I'm wrong... I've tried many times and I know others.
If you do a search you are correct. The Hill District residents think they can do a more grass roots/better job than a NYC gentrification style. I think the Hill District is wrong. Best to let migration occur and let progress take place to bring more money into the city, since it is in debt up to their eyeballs and the schools aren't very good, nor is the infrastructure including public transportation. Of course thinking of all that would take....., um THINKING! Not the Hill District's strong point.

Old 12-16-2016, 11:36 PM

6,358 posts, read 5,055,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
If you do a search you are correct. The Hill District residents think they can do a more grass roots/better job than a NYC gentrification style. I think the Hill District is wrong. Best to let migration occur and let progress take place to bring more money into the city, since it is in debt up to their eyeballs and the schools aren't very good, nor is the infrastructure including public transportation. Of course thinking of all that would take....., um THINKING! Not the Hill District's strong point.

Well, I am not positive our city is in debt. I don't mean that figuratively - I actually do not know. Maybe there is an anonymous City employee here who knows. I guess NOT in debt since it seems the spending for charitable type causes continues without debate, except for polite questioning from Kraus and Kail-Smith.

I think they are swimming in revenue, actually.

The Hill? Ah yes, my former neighborhood (adios, imbecils). It is a perfect example of the kind of dynamics one sees between local government and a lower economic community that has leverage, and a voice. After a decade of millions in investment (and subsidies), there remains a cynicism, almost an anger, to all things "the man". It makes little sense to me when I am lectured by a woman 5 years my junior, as if she is some aged, wise, veteran of urban warfare of the 1960s, who cannot see a viewpoint from a male...and who cannot possibly be wrong, despite the West End feeling shortchanged, and every other Pittsburgh neighborhood having tremendous problems...it is the Hill that is made to suffer, according to some up there.

Old 12-17-2016, 12:28 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
Well, I am not positive our city is in debt. I don't mean that figuratively - I actually do not know. Maybe there is an anonymous City employee here who knows. I guess NOT in debt since it seems the spending for charitable type causes continues without debate, except for polite questioning from Kraus and Kail-Smith.

I think they are swimming in revenue, actually.

The Hill? Ah yes, my former neighborhood (adios, imbecils). It is a perfect example of the kind of dynamics one sees between local government and a lower economic community that has leverage, and a voice. After a decade of millions in investment (and subsidies), there remains a cynicism, almost an anger, to all things "the man". It makes little sense to me when I am lectured by a woman 5 years my junior, as if she is some aged, wise, veteran of urban warfare of the 1960s, who cannot see a viewpoint from a male...and who cannot possibly be wrong, despite the West End feeling shortchanged, and every other Pittsburgh neighborhood having tremendous problems...it is the Hill that is made to suffer, according to some up there.
Oh I absolutely agree. Carl Redwood, who is the chairman of the Hill District Consensus Group, lectured me in a Facebook message once as to why the Hill District still needs more, more, more out of every development proposal. I found it quite irksome considering nobody asks for the input of working-class whites about development initiatives prior to them being gentrified out of Lawrenceville and Polish Hill by affluent whites, so why should so much MORE input be given to working-class blacks being displaced by affluent whites? I've had several working-class white friends gentrified out of my neighborhood since I moved here in 2010, and nobody gave a rat's arse about them.

I've posed this question before on this sub-forum, yet I've never received an answer that was satisfactory: Why is it considered to be "too bad; so sad; cry me a river; not everyone gets to stay a renter in the trendy parts of town long-term" when white yuppies displace working-class whites, yet when white yuppies displace working-class blacks it's "ZOMG! Stop the presses! Delay! Riot! Protest! City Paper this and City Paper that!" Either have empathy towards BOTH races who are being displaced by the hordes of wealthy transplants moving into the city these days OR tell both to go pound sand and get out of the way of progress. Don't tell one race of working-class individuals that THEY matter while telling another race of working-class individuals "sucks to be you I guess". This seems to be a case of affluent whites pushing working-class whites under the bus in order to satisfy their need to repent for their "white guilt" when they displace working-class blacks.

This city's gentrification crisis could be avoided more easily if there weren't so many NIMBY's opposed to high-density new development. If we built high-rises everywhere instead of low-rise and mid-rise "blah"-designed projects left and right we'd increase capacity to the point where rapidly rising rents would start to plateau, and people would stop being displaced---black OR white. As far as telling working-class whites to "just move to Carrick and get over it" why are the people blocking the new Whole Foods in East Liberty not telling working-class blacks not telling them "just move to Larimer and get over it"? Also, maybe people don't WANT to live in Carrick? I take a disproportionately high number of property crime-related incident reports out of Carrick compared to the population of the neighborhood. Maybe if Mayor Peduto would care more about tackling the crime issues in the Southern Hilltop neighborhoods then working-class whites might feel less offended about being told to "go pound sand and move to Knoxville/Beltzhoover/Carrick if you can't afford the >50% of the city that is gentrifying?"

Old 12-17-2016, 12:32 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,207,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Oh I absolutely agree. Carl Redwood, who is the chairman of the Hill District Consensus Group, lectured me in a Facebook message once as to why the Hill District still needs more, more, more out of every development proposal. I found it quite irksome considering nobody asks for the input of working-class whites about development initiatives prior to them being gentrified out of Lawrenceville and Polish Hill by affluent whites, so why should so much MORE input be given to working-class blacks being displaced by affluent whites? I've had several working-class white friends gentrified out of my neighborhood since I moved here in 2010, and nobody gave a rat's arse about them.

I've posed this question before on this sub-forum, yet I've never received an answer that was satisfactory: Why is it considered to be "too bad; so sad; cry me a river; not everyone gets to stay a renter in the trendy parts of town long-term" when white yuppies displace working-class whites, yet when white yuppies displace working-class blacks it's "ZOMG! Stop the presses! Delay! Riot! Protest! City Paper this and City Paper that!" Either have empathy towards BOTH races who are being displaced by the hordes of wealthy transplants moving into the city these days OR tell both to go pound sand and get out of the way of progress. Don't tell one race of working-class individuals that THEY matter while telling another race of working-class individuals "sucks to be you I guess". This seems to be a case of affluent whites pushing working-class whites under the bus in order to satisfy their need to repent for their "white guilt" when they displace working-class blacks.

This city's gentrification crisis could be avoided more easily if there weren't so many NIMBY's opposed to high-density new development. If we built high-rises everywhere instead of low-rise and mid-rise "blah"-designed projects left and right we'd increase capacity to the point where rapidly rising rents would start to plateau, and people would stop being displaced---black OR white.
^^^^^^
Winner.

Some people always feel the need to blame others for their shortcomings. It's just easier that way.

Old 12-17-2016, 08:20 PM
gg

Quote:
Haven't you heard? We have white privilege, so we are good to go. Enjoy the wonderful holiday season.

Old 12-18-2016, 08:08 AM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
^^^^^^
Winner.

Some people always feel the need to blame others for their shortcomings. It's just easier that way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Haven't you heard? We have white privilege, so we are good to go. Enjoy the wonderful holiday season.
I just dislike the racial double-standard on this sub-forum. I'll gladly leave Polish Hill as a sub-$30,000/year earning white guy to make way for progress for the good of the city if and when the gentrification deniers on this sub-forum can explain to me why they also don't expect sub-$30,000/year earning black guys to move for progress, too.

Either tell the people being displaced for the new Whole Foods "get over it and move to a less desirable neighborhood so the city can progress" or don't chide me for similarly not wanting to be displaced from my own neighborhood because I have a different skin color.

I happen to think what's been happening to working-class blacks in places like East Liberty and the Hill District as well as working-class whites in places like Lawrenceville and Polish Hill should be equally sobering and worthy of empathy. I'm only willing to lower my standard of living and move to Carrick, Beltzhoover, Knoxville, Larimer, or another less desirable and higher-crime neighborhood that I can afford if and when my African-American counterparts being displaced from gentrifying city neighborhoods are being told to do the same. It's either NO poor people get to stay in trendy neighborhoods or ALL poor people get to stay in trendy neighborhoods---it shouldn't be poor black people get to stay while poor white people should get the hell out because affluent whites have white guilt and simultaneously harbor a disdain towards working-class whites.

Old 12-18-2016, 08:20 AM
gg

Quote:
Either tell the people being displaced for the new Whole Foods "...
Just to clarify something here. A real estate firm kicked the 100 residents out of that place before Whole Foods announced it is moving in to the new space. That place was very dilapidated and all residents were relocated to no doubt much better places. Of course people love to hate any big companies these days. I am glad Whole Foods is moving to a larger place. That will mean more jobs for East Liberty and Whole Foods would pay much more than most retail places. No minimum wage concerns there. This is great news for all in East Liberty and the city of Pittsburgh. Many people will get hired at Whole Foods and actually stay there.

Anyway, there is an obvious double standard and many black people will admit it believe it or not. You would have to be pretty blind not to see it or have an agenda larger than common sense, which seems to be sort of common these days. I call it blinded by agenda.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh