Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2015, 02:47 PM

1,577 posts, read 1,283,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Pay Attention, they're here .... its in the roots of Pittsburgh, its what this entire region was for 3 decades 70's, 80's and 90's .... Hell many Yinzers living in Lawrenceville all their lives, are complaining endlessly about the change happening. Oh you don't see it because that's not the news, the news is L'ville is/has changed. Same thing with the South Side when it went through its gentrification... EL is having the same thing. Why is there so much NIMBY'ism here as things try to get built, I understand some of it, but the others just pure "Yinzer" attitude.
So the old lady that has lived in L'ville for 30 years and has to walk a half mile to her house because she has no place to park has no reason to complain?

You really need to step outside your little world of "progressive" thinking and realized that there are two sides to the story. You are also discounting a ton of hard work that was done by the so-called Yinzers to bring this city back to glory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2015, 02:48 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,260,125 times
Quote:

It is MY city, I live here and I pay taxes to the City of Pittsburgh, and its anyone else's city who does the same. I vote for the Mayor of the City of Pittsburgh... You Do None of these thing, yet, you have a sense of entitlement from the city services. Do you mind if I have a sense of entitlement to a borough or township for which I pay No Taxes, and can't vote on your Municipality's POLs? I want Bike Lanes tomorrow in Wexford, Cranberry, Murrysville, Bethel Park, is that how it works?

A lot of people never go downtown, and that includes plenty of Pittsburghers who live within the city limits, and never have the opportunity to receive city services much less "demand" them. I rarely go to town since I have a new work place.

I live within the city limits, I don't vote for the mayor either, never any really contested elections for either council or mayor, none since Foerster and Caliguiri faced off in the 70's.

If a good portion of the city evolves into "Portland on the Mon", its no bother to me. I don't think the whole region is going to become a super expensive attraction of sophisticates any time soon.

Old 12-01-2015, 02:48 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,895,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
I paid plenty of taxes in my days of living in the city and county. I also pay plenty when I visit the city. Good thing, too. City needs the $$$.
Guess, what I pay those same sales taxes when I go out as well.... Not only that, I shop at Robinson, and Ross Park, so I'm spending my tax dollars in those Townships .... Damn It! I want a seat at the table.

Quote:
Most nobody, including myself, couldn't care less who comes out to da burbs and expresses what they think should be done.
Because its not like the those Townships give a Flying F--- what a "Visiting" City-Girl thinks needs to be done there. When I pay taxes, I can vote and then things can be done my way or the majorities way ... Same thing here, when you Pay Income and Property Taxes to the city and Vote for Mayor. Then you can demand Free On Street Parking. Keep Refugees Out. No More Bike Lanes .... When you Pay, you can Play.

Old 12-01-2015, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
A lot of people never go downtown, and that includes plenty of Pittsburghers who live within the city limits, and never have the opportunity to receive city services much less "demand" them. I rarely go to town since I have a new work place.

I live within the city limits, I don't vote for the mayor either, never any really contested elections for either council or mayor, none since Foerster and Caliguiri faced off in the 70's.

If a good portion of the city evolves into "Portland on the Mon", its no bother to me. I don't think the whole region is going to become a super expensive attraction of sophisticates any time soon.
That's you problem bud, and as much as you complain on here, you'd think you'd worship your power to vote.

I barely go downtown, Downtown is not all there is to the city. I go through Downtown a lot. Downtown is not the only place you get City Services, you do understand that don't you.

Old 12-01-2015, 02:53 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,207,721 times
Quote:
Guess, what I pay those same sales taxes when I go out as well.... Not only that, I shop at Robinson, and Ross Park, so I'm spending my tax dollars in those Townships .... Damn It! I want a seat at the table.

Because its not like the those Townships give a Flying F--- what a "Visiting" City-Girl thinks needs to be done there. When I pay taxes, I can vote and then things can be done my way or the majorities way ... Same thing here, when you Pay Income and Property Taxes to the city and Vote for Mayor. Then you can demand Free On Street Parking. Keep Refugees Out. No More Bike Lanes .... When you Pay, you can Play.
Other than keeping refugees out, good for France for closing shop, I could care less what the city does even if I do spend $$$ there. If I get to where it bothers me enough I just won't patronize the city.

I also don't see anyone making a big deal about bike lanes or free parking.

Old 12-01-2015, 02:58 PM

Quote:
That's you problem bud, and as much as you complain on here, you'd think you'd worship your power to vote.

I barely go downtown, Downtown is not all there is to the city. I go through Downtown a lot. Downtown is not the only place you get City Services, you do understand that don't you.
I don't see why anyone would be so proud of whose been voted in, especially the last Mayor, and especially considering the shape the city has been in financially. Peduto ran all but alone so it's not like he was ever going to lose.

Old 12-01-2015, 03:05 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,260,125 times
Quote:

I don't vote in uncontested elections, I just don't see the point. A candidate would have to be awfully impressive to get me to vote for them if they weren't being opposed.

Its certainly true that the city provides some services throughout the city, but town and Oakland have the most commuters, and the largest amount of demogogueing about "suburbanites not paying their fair share" circles around those commuters, not people who only visit the city along its fringes.

Old 12-01-2015, 03:06 PM

Quote:
You must associate with much different people than most. I don't know anyone complaining about "good" coming to areas. Everyone I know is happy their home values are going up, the areas are becoming safer, etc... Only people I could see having issues are those that rent.
Or you just don't pay attention, out there in your Plush, Cozy Suburb ... I'm surprised you know how City-Folk feel at all ....

Old 12-01-2015, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Or you just don't pay attention, out there in your Plush, Cozy Suburb ... I'm surprised you know how City-Folk feel at all ....
I lived in the city for many years and still have family there. I think they're crazy for living there and tell them all the time. They say the same to me for living in da burbs.

Seems you just have problems with suburbanites and city folk and won't ever be happy until the only ones left are like yourself.

Old 12-01-2015, 03:37 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,882,782 times
I guess she uses it like the word 'Jew'. Jew has a definite meaning that's innocuous but some antisemities insist on using it as a demeaning slur.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh