Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2015, 11:20 AM

12,390 posts, read 7,096,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merge View Post
Why? Because of all the legally-carrying gun owners who are going to come to your rescue? You are deluding yourself if you think this is so.
Shootings have been stopped by citizens with a firearms, and it is of course better to have the option of having a firearm, than not. However, it really has nothing to do with carrying a gun. The fact is that most mass shootings, and almost all of the mass shootings with high death counts take place in gun free zones. It is a statistical fact that you can almost completely eliminate your chances of being a victim of a mass shooting by simply avoiding gun free zones. It really is the best way to avoid being a victim of a mass shooting, whether you carry a firearm, or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2015, 11:33 AM

2,218 posts, read 1,945,279 times
I don't think it makes any sense to expect mass shooters to be rational actors when picking targets, but whatever...

Debunking the Gun Free Zone Myth: “Mass Murder Magnets” | Armed With Reason

Old 12-03-2015, 11:51 AM

144 posts, read 140,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy2073 View Post
It has happened four times here. Baumhammer, the guy in Wilkinsburg, la fitness in collier, western psychology
What is the Wilkinsburg one?

For the Western Pysch shooting, my building at Pitt was locked down. But I think that was just one death right? From what I've been seeing lately, I don't think they consider it a mass shooting unless 4+ are injured or killed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinare View Post
I always tell my co-workers when I'm giving them an FYI about where something is or about some task I do, that it's "just in case I get hit by a bus." On Monday morning it almost happened -- a PAT bus was determined, no matter that there were 5 of us in the CLEARLY MARKED CROSSWALK WITH A GREEN LIGHT, to make his turn. I was just so shocked that I didn't even think to get the bus number or anything, but he was not yielding to any stinking pedestrian, screw state law and was 2 feet from hitting a guy in front of me. So, yes, SO much more concerned for my safety crossing the streets around here than I am about being randomly shot.
hmmm... did this happen at 7th/Liberty Ave? I get off the bus on Penn and I see buses doing that every morning in that intersection. They blow their horns before the light even turns green and they just barrel through the intersection with people starting through the crosswalk.

I guess it would be annoying being a bus driver downtown, but they should re-time the lights and disable the crosswalk or something if it's really a problem.

Old 12-03-2015, 11:54 AM

Quote:
I don't think it makes any sense to expect mass shooters to be rational actors when picking targets, but whatever...

Debunking the Gun Free Zone Myth: “Mass Murder Magnets” | Armed With Reason
You can discard the indisputable fact that the majority of mass shootings take place in gun free zones just because you can't prove the shooters prosperously chose the location because it was a gun free zone if you want, but there are two problems with that.

One, you cannot prove the shooters didn't choose the location because it was a gun free zone either.

Second, whether or not the shooter purposely chose the location because it is a gun free zone or not, is completely irrelevant. It still doesn't change the fact that the majority of mass shootings take place in gun free zones.

So again I say, it is a statistical fact that you can almost completely eliminate your chances of being a victim of a mass shooting by simply avoiding gun free zones.

Old 12-03-2015, 12:01 PM

2,401 posts, read 2,101,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciulli View Post
What is the Wilkinsburg one?

For the Western Pysch shooting, my building at Pitt was locked down. But I think that was just one death right? From what I've been seeing lately, I don't think they consider it a mass shooting unless 4+ are injured or killed.

hmmm... did this happen at 7th/Liberty Ave? I get off the bus on Penn and I see buses doing that every morning in that intersection. They blow their horns before the light even turns green and they just barrel through the intersection with people starting through the crosswalk.

I guess it would be annoying being a bus driver downtown, but they should re-time the lights and disable the crosswalk or something if it's really a problem.
A man started shooting people waiting in the drive through lanes at both the McDonalds and another restaurant across Penn, may have been a Popeyes. There were multiple deaths, I can't recall how many. IIRC, he walked into one of the restaurants and killed people inside as well.

http://old.post-gazette.com/regionst...307taylor1.asp

Old 12-03-2015, 12:13 PM

1,901 posts, read 4,379,302 times
Out of those most were gang-related or gang member perpetrated or involving retaliation between gang member rap groups:
4 Shot At McKeesport New Year’s Eve Party « CBS Pittsburgh

Young mother among 2 dead in Homewood private club shooting | www.wpxi.com

Triple shooting in Homewood North leaves child in critical condition | Local News - WTAE Home

4 men shot while playing dice; 19-year-old killed | www.wpxi.com

1 dead, 3 wounded in East Pittsburgh shooting | TribLIVE

http://old.post-gazette.com/regionst...307taylor1.asp
Police: Gym shooter 'had a lot of hatred' for women, society - CNN.com
I have lived here almost all of my life... These two listed above are among the top 10 most memorable local shootings besides the ones where I've known those who were victims/involved... others that are similar gang related mass shootings:

http://triblive.com/news/adminpage/4...#axzz3tHqz0lDs
-somebody riding through East Hills opens fire killing a baby
http://www.wpxi.com/news/news/local/...ng-dies/nSdrg/
-wb gangs open fire and kill grandmother
http://www.wpxi.com/news/news/local/...-center/nW73C/
Wilkinsburg's J-Town Hoods meet Braddocc Crips in Edgewood Towne Centre
http://www.post-gazette.com/local/ne...s/200810200215
UpTown Homewood Crips sets declare "war"

Last edited by Uptown kid; 12-03-2015 at 12:25 PM..

Old 12-03-2015, 12:21 PM

2,401 posts, read 2,101,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
You can discard the indisputable fact that the majority of mass shootings take place in gun free zones just because you can't prove the shooters prosperously chose the location because it was a gun free zone if you want, but there are two problems with that.

One, you cannot prove the shooters didn't choose the location because it was a gun free zone either.

Second, whether or not the shooter purposely chose the location because it is a gun free zone or not, is completely irrelevant. It still doesn't change the fact that the majority of mass shootings take place in gun free zones.

So again I say, it is a statistical fact that you can almost completely eliminate your chances of being a victim of a mass shooting by simply avoiding gun free zones.
I don't follow. What are gun not free zones? Aren't most places gun free zones? Like fart free zones? People are going to carry/fart anyhow right? Only true gun free zones I can think of are court houses and government buildings.

Old 12-03-2015, 12:44 PM

2,218 posts, read 1,945,279 times
It's pretty clear that gun-free zones are not intended to forestall the statistically-insignificant odds of a mass shooting, but rather to discourage petty (but common) disagreements from escalating into fights that involve the abuse of a firearm.

It doesn't make any sense to trade that for the possibility that some "knight-on-a-white horse" is going to be in the right place to save you from a madman.

Old 12-03-2015, 12:54 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,881,857 times
There's a million other things that have a better chance of killing me so I'll worry about being gunned down in a mass shooting as soon as the other 999,999 are taken care of

Old 12-03-2015, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcider View Post
I don't follow. What are gun not free zones? Aren't most places gun free zones? Like fart free zones? People are going to carry/fart anyhow right? Only true gun free zones I can think of are court houses and government buildings.
There are a lot of gun free zones, and a lot of private property that forbids firearms.

Quote:
It's pretty clear that gun-free zones are not intended to forestall the statistically-insignificant odds of a mass shooting, but rather to discourage petty (but common) disagreements from escalating into fights that involve the abuse of a firearm.

It doesn't make any sense to trade that for the possibility that some "knight-on-a-white horse" is going to be in the right place to save you from a madman.
By that logic, gun free zones were created to solve a non-existent problem. If people that can legally carry a firearm are not using their firearms illegally anywhere else, why would they use them in an illegal manner in the current gun free zones. The idea simply lacks any logic, and outright goes against all of the data that shows people that are licensed to carry a firearm, are among the most law abiding of citizens. The last statistics I read were that less than 1 percent of concealed carry licenses are revoked. The data overwhelmingly shows that people that legally carry firearms are not misusing them.

The data clearly shows that there is simply no logical argument for gun free zones. Gun free zones are nothing more than a feel good policy, that is statistically proven to be outright dangerous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh