Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2015, 01:25 PM

387 posts, read 408,225 times

Advertisements

Personally speaking i've carried for the last 15 yrs. Over this period not one time did I feel threatened, etc. Since moving here ('99) and living/going out/jitneying in sketchy areas the thought of some mass shooting happening never crossed my mind. I'm starting to believe that more times than not i'm carrying for the other law abiding citizens around me. As far as gun free zones unless it's a state/fed facility i'm carrying. At the end of the day your safety is your own personal responsibility.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2015, 02:17 PM

2,218 posts, read 1,944,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
There are a lot of gun free zones, and a lot of private property that forbids firearms.

By that logic, gun free zones were created to solve a non-existent problem. If people that can legally carry a firearm are not using their firearms illegally anywhere else, why would they use them in an illegal manner in the current gun free zones. The idea simply lacks any logic, and outright goes against all of the data that shows people that are licensed to carry a firearm, are among the most law abiding of citizens. The last statistics I read were that less than 1 percent of concealed carry licenses are revoked. The data overwhelmingly shows that people that legally carry firearms are not misusing them.

The data clearly shows that there is simply no logical argument for gun free zones. Gun free zones are nothing more than a feel good policy, that is statistically proven to be outright dangerous.
After a relatively quick search, I couldn't find a single credible source that substantiates your claims. You're invited to share your sources (other than anecdotal, of course).

Sure... I believe that those who are licensed carriers commit less crimes with guns than those without licenses (obviously because carrying a firearm without a license is a crime in itself). But those who don't carry guns commit zero gun violence. Put more guns into more hands, and more bullets are going to be fired. Period. Contortions of logic aren't going to change that fact.

Old 12-03-2015, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomchee View Post
Personally speaking i've carried for the last 15 yrs. Over this period not one time did I feel threatened, etc. Since moving here ('99) and living/going out/jitneying in sketchy areas the thought of some mass shooting happening never crossed my mind. I'm starting to believe that more times than not i'm carrying for the other law abiding citizens around me. As far as gun free zones unless it's a state/fed facility i'm carrying. At the end of the day your safety is your own personal responsibility.
That sounds like a dangerous conceit to me. I don't even know how much I trust our official cops to protect me with their guns, let alone someone I don't know who may or may not have any law enforcement training.

Old 12-03-2015, 02:31 PM

41,018 posts, read 18,189,699 times
https://www.rt.com/usa/324504-black-...-sales-checks/

Old 12-03-2015, 02:48 PM

144 posts, read 140,858 times
I really hope a Democrat president is elected next so we have at least a tiny chance of stricter gun laws. Something really needs to be done, but nothing changed after Newton so who knows if it ever will.

I always read about the NRA having so much influence in policy, but apparently only a small percentage of gun owners are NRA members.

Old 12-03-2015, 03:04 PM

41,018 posts, read 18,189,699 times
After 8 years of Obama, I wouldn't lay any $$$ on a Democrat winning. The days until he's gone are being counted down by many.

I would chalk it up to many not wanting to pay the membership dues or there would be a lot more than the 5+ million present members. If many actually thought that their guns/rights would disappear, I would expect a huge addition to membership.

Last edited by erieguy; 12-03-2015 at 03:14 PM..

Old 12-03-2015, 05:03 PM

12,390 posts, read 7,092,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merge View Post
After a relatively quick search, I couldn't find a single credible source that substantiates your claims. You're invited to share your sources (other than anecdotal, of course).

Sure... I believe that those who are licensed carriers commit less crimes with guns than those without licenses (obviously because carrying a firearm without a license is a crime in itself). But those who don't carry guns commit zero gun violence. Put more guns into more hands, and more bullets are going to be fired. Period. Contortions of logic aren't going to change that fact.
The sources are out there. You can get the data straight from issuing authorities (generally the local sheriff). I would say that's as credible as it gets.

As far as more people carrying guns, it's already happening. In the last 20 or so years, we've gone 23 states barring concealed carry, to no states barring concealed carry. It's likely just a matter of time before national concealed carry is passed.

Despite an ever growing number of people carrying firearms, the data clearly shows that firearms are not being misused.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciulli View Post
I really hope a Democrat president is elected next so we have at least a tiny chance of stricter gun laws. Something really needs to be done, but nothing changed after Newton so who knows if it ever will.

I always read about the NRA having so much influence in policy, but apparently only a small percentage of gun owners are NRA members.
Remember that the president doesn't make law, congress does.

The NRA/Firearms industry doesn't have the endless supply of money to buy policy like the banking, energy, pharmaceutical, and telecommunication industries, it only has the power of the voting public to back it. The NRA not only represents it's 5+ million members, it represents the 10's of millions of gun owners, and the majority of Americans that oppose legislation that disarms law abiding citizens.

Old 12-03-2015, 05:11 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,254,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciulli View Post

I don't think that Mrs. Clinton is going to make a big deal about gun control in next year's campaign, its not a popular issue with the majority.

I expect she'll go into a store in Ohio to "git her a huntin' license" to give gun owners confidence that she is on their side.

Old 12-03-2015, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
The sources are out there. You can get the data straight from issuing authorities (generally the local sheriff). I would say that's as credible as it gets.

As far as more people carrying guns, it's already happening. In the last 20 or so years, we've gone 23 states barring concealed carry, to no states barring concealed carry. It's likely just a matter of time before national concealed carry is passed.

Despite an ever growing number of people carrying firearms, the data clearly shows that firearms are not being misused.
The sources are "out there", yet you are unable to provide them. Interesting.

The data indicates that gun violence is rampant in our society... and whether you like it or not, there is a growing consensus that this issue needs to be addressed.

Old 12-03-2015, 06:57 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,879,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merge View Post
The sources are "out there", yet you are unable to provide them. Interesting.

The data indicates that gun violence is rampant in our society... and whether you like it or not, there is a growing consensus that this issue needs to be addressed.
Not sure if I agree with all these conclusions but it is crazy how much violence has fallen even since the 90's (which itself was a large decrease from the 70s). I wasn't alive then, was it just reported less & people were unaware?
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...tes-heres-why/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh