Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2015, 06:55 PM

1,106 posts, read 1,163,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy2073 View Post
They will cash the check, when I got a ticket I sent in $50 and pled not guilty. They wanted to full amount but I told them I could not afford it. The officer will not be there, the city sends a designated officer for all the traffic cases. I guess it saves overtime. When I fought my ticket every single one of the 70 people there lost, some negotiated a lesser fine but they still lost. It definitely did not seem fair.

On the ticket what form of speed calculating device did he use. If he was not in his car and he put vascar on the ticket then he is not telling the truth. You will need proof he was not in his car, maybe his dash camera.
The ticket just has ___mph checked, with no number filled in and then it has 'other' checked for detection device.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I'm so sick of living in a "nanny state" city these days. I've had my own fellow Polish Hill neighbors scream "SLOW DOWN" at me on Melwood Avenue when I was doing 25 in a marked 25 zone. (Not 26, not 28, but 25). I don't think people realize just how fast someone whizzing past you at 25 can seem when you're standing still. If it says 25, then I'm doing 25. Sorry you're in this situation, charisb!
Thanks SCR. Technically I was 5 miles over the limit, but I have never heard of anyone getting a ticket for that. I pride myself on being a careful driver and feel terrible about this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2015, 06:57 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,207,721 times
Quote:
When people yell at you for driving 25 in a 25? It's called people need to mind their own business!
Not possible. Yinzers are "nebby".

Old 12-03-2015, 07:00 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Not possible. Yinzers are "nebby".
I thought only BlackBeauty could use that word? (Ducks BlackBeauty's stilettos!)

Old 12-03-2015, 07:01 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,207,721 times
Quote:
I thought only BlackBeauty could use that word? (Ducks BlackBeauty's stilettos!)
It's not a bad word, and certainly not one to get upset over.

Old 12-04-2015, 06:34 AM

1,577 posts, read 1,283,140 times
So this board complains about cops not doing anything about traffic violations daily and then jumps on the officer for correctly policing? Unfortunately you can't have both...there has to be a line somewhere.

Old 12-04-2015, 06:40 AM

1,106 posts, read 1,163,995 times
I am amazed that there is so much outrage about me pleading not guilty when I was going maybe 5 miles over the limit (including some nasty rep points comments). I am not even sure I was 5 miles over--it could have been 3 or 4 (I looked down when I lifted my foot off the pedal and I was already at 24 so I am estimating. My car is older and I can feel speed over 30 mph). The thing is that the officer had no idea what speed I was going. He 'guesstimated'. I would love to know how many of you have gotten pulled over for going 3-5 miles over the limit. I am trying not to think this was a DWB situation but that is an entire other issue.
Have no fear, I have been punished so your cities are safe now.

Last edited by charisb; 12-04-2015 at 06:49 AM..

Old 12-04-2015, 07:17 AM

618 posts, read 692,264 times
Sorry, charisb. Armchair fascists come out of the woodwork for threads like this. He clearly didn't use a measuring device and a ticket for 30 in a 25 is absurd, particularly considering how fast most drive through Oakland. Go to court and you run a fair chance it'll be thrown out. Just calmly explain what happened and it seems like you have a fair shot. They need proof via some sort of measurement device permitted to be used by the local police, not mere observation.

Old 12-04-2015, 08:55 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,894,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Schwabe View Post
Just calmly explain what happened and it seems like you have a fair shot.
Unless he's short in his monthly ticket quota.

Old 12-04-2015, 09:07 AM

618 posts, read 692,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Unless he's short in his monthly ticket quota.
Likely the motive but still would be up to the judge to throw it out. We had a similar situation with a number of targeted, very expensive parking tickets for parking near a stop sign in Squirrel Hill where everyone parked but only our car was ticketed. The cop had a bad reputation for this and the judge threw them out immediately.

Old 12-04-2015, 09:49 AM

3,595 posts, read 3,393,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lettert View Post
So this board complains about cops not doing anything about traffic violations daily and then jumps on the officer for correctly policing? Unfortunately you can't have both...there has to be a line somewhere.
If what the op had said was correct the officer was not correctly policing. He had to use some form of speed detection device. Police can't make their own laws.

My ticket was for doing 25 in a school zone, the only problem was the school zone was two blocks away from where I was stopped, I had not even entered the zone yet. I had pictures of me s
Sitting in my truck with the officer behind me in my mirror and the school zone in front of me. The judge changed my ticket to driving to fast for conditions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh