Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2015, 12:48 PM

41,018 posts, read 18,189,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
No one would argue that kids on a basketball team are tall because they joined it. No one would argue that moving to Fox Chapel, with no other life changes, would make you rich. Correlation does not equal causation.
This has nothing to do with rankings and which is best. All the rationalization in the world won't make PPS a better district than a those that are ranked higher.

If one feels that a system is what's best for them and their child, that's great and also great that one has the right to choose where they want them to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2015, 12:50 PM

14,352 posts, read 17,012,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
This has nothing to do with rankings and which is best. All the rationalization in the world won't make PPS a better district than a those that are ranked the highest.

If one feels that a system is what's best for them and their child, that's great and also great that one has the right to choose where they want them to go.
Which districts are top scoring is an objective fact. In contrast, whether top scoring = best is subjective.

Again let's use the Fox Chapel example. It is the wealthiest municipality in the state. Does that make it the best? It's up to the individual to decide.

Last edited by eschaton; 12-18-2015 at 01:02 PM..

Old 12-18-2015, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Which districts are top scoring is an objective fact. In contrast, whether top scoring = best is subjective.

Again to use the Fox Chapel example. It is the wealthiest municipality in the state. Does that make it the best? It's up to the individual to decide.
I know fact/s is/are never popular, but rankings are rankings.

Issues with race, wealth, snobbiness, etc..., are issues with some more than others. That's why it's great that people have choices.

Old 12-18-2015, 04:43 PM

1,304 posts, read 3,034,260 times
Quote:
I know fact/s is/are never popular, but rankings are rankings.

Issues with race, wealth, snobbiness, etc..., are issues with some more than others. That's why it's great that people have choices.
Sorry, but I was unable to rep you again. When it comes to viewing the performance of the student population on achievement and standardized tests, the PPS students perform woefully when held to the same standards as many of their suburban peers. I don't say this as a critic of PPS; I say this as an educated individual who views the objective data/numbers and the rankings associated with them. Too many city dwellers, who choose to dispute these numbers/rankings, too often, offer subjective contradictions with the hope that "smoke and mirrors" can shield the indisputable facts..... those who choose to move to our city should do so with a caveat that we have a great city with very poor performing city schools..

Old 12-18-2015, 07:53 PM

697 posts, read 777,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredcoach View Post
Sorry, but I was unable to rep you again. When it comes to viewing the performance of the student population on achievement and standardized tests, the PPS students perform woefully when held to the same standards as many of their suburban peers. I don't say this as a critic of PPS; I say this as an educated individual who views the objective data/numbers and the rankings associated with them. Too many city dwellers, who choose to dispute these numbers/rankings, too often, offer subjective contradictions with the hope that "smoke and mirrors" can shield the indisputable facts..... those who choose to move to our city should do so with a caveat that we have a great city with very poor performing city schools..
I agree they don't perform overall as well as many other districts. But individually, there are PPS students getting into college, and many that are tougher to get in such as CMU, Temple, Allegheny, PSU and Pitt main, etc http://pittsburghpromise.org/assets/...2015-12-01.pdf

Old 12-18-2015, 08:21 PM

778 posts, read 839,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
I dont think they feel entitled to it, they just want it, and they work hard to find it. Also, IIRC they cannot take the bus due to daycare needs.
All correct. I took the bus for literal decades but temporarily I have a preschool aged child who needs to be dropped off and picked up before and after work and the bus doesn't go from my house to there to my office in a way that wouldn't make everyone abjectly miserable. I don't feel entitled to parking and I understand supply and demand, but right now I don't really have much else in the way of options and if I can get away with it while also not paying $15 a day to leave my car somewhere, I'm going to. I still wind up taking the bus a lot because I park in out of the way places outside of Oakland as much as I can.

Anyway. Carry on.

Old 12-18-2015, 08:26 PM

14,352 posts, read 17,012,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyDaisy View Post
I agree they don't perform overall as well as many other districts. But individually, there are PPS students getting into college, and many that are tougher to get in such as CMU, Temple, Allegheny, PSU and Pitt main, etc http://pittsburghpromise.org/assets/...2015-12-01.pdf
I hadn't realized before the Pittsburgh Promise is only applicable to Pennsylvania colleges and universities. I mean, I understand why they did so, but it means this list probably significantly underestimates the number of recent college graduates.

Old 12-18-2015, 08:30 PM

697 posts, read 777,862 times
Quote:
I hadn't realized before the Pittsburgh Promise is only applicable to Pennsylvania colleges and universities. I mean, I understand why they did so, but it means this list probably significantly underestimates the number of recent college graduates.
Right, PA only so not all-encompassing. This was just the info I knew was available that would at least show that some PPS students get accepted into good schools but it is limited to the Promise.

Old 12-18-2015, 08:34 PM

Nobody is questioning or doubting that PPS students are getting into college, graduating, and becoming successful.

What was being discussed are the rankings, and I'm sure the numbers dictate the success rate of the different schools.

Old 12-19-2015, 06:06 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
What was being discussed are the rankings, and I'm sure the numbers dictate the success rate of the different schools.
I'm pretty sure the rankings just indicate the proportion of white children from upper-middle-class households vs. the proportion of African-American children from struggling working-class households in each district. If I'm not mistaken Eschaton has shown on here before that a student (of any race for that matter) from a solid upper-middle-class upbringing performs just as well academically in most city schools as the top suburban schools. Academic success is more closely correlated with the child's prevailing SOCIOECONOMIC STATUS than anything else. Of course there will be exceptions to the rule---like the attorneys' children who choose to smoke weed instead of study at Fox Chapel Area or the prodigy from Homewood who perseveres amid mass adversity and becomes a scholastic standout. Overall, though, the best-"ranking" schools are almost always the schools with the most affluent and least diverse student bodies.

Show me concrete evidence that the teachers are "better" at North Allegheny or Fox Chapel Area than they are at CAPA or Taylor Allderdice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh