Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2015, 03:48 PM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times

Advertisements

I believe this would be the tallest building in the Strip.

http://www.bizjournals.com/pittsburg...allest.html#i1

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2015, 06:22 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,892,991 times
Would the orange part come down when they're done?

Old 12-25-2015, 07:41 PM

3,595 posts, read 3,392,312 times
I think they call that style.

Old 12-25-2015, 08:34 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
Ah. So this is what the NIMBY's around me have been hee-hawing about. The building, to me, is hideous; however, we have an affordable housing shortage in this part of the city, so anything that can be done to increase residential supply, even on the higher end, should trickle down to help free up more reasonably-priced housing units in the long run.

Old 12-26-2015, 08:08 PM

290 posts, read 366,661 times
This issue's a little more complex than just "for or against." Typically, a luxury market develops after the existing market is so standardized that the vast majority of units for rent are only competing on price, not quality. Luxury units can benefit a city if there is a demand for them and no supply. Where they become problematic is when luxury units are the majority of, or worse yet, the only type of new housing added to the rental market. It is at this point that their development confers few to no benefits on the working classes. Most often, they encourage landlords to increase their prices to match the luxury units, as you'll find in most of the global alpha cities that now boast an oversupply of luxury rentals. In too many instances, they also put the burden of funding the new construction on working taxpayers, while the developers receive multi-year or multi-decade tax breaks.

If there is a shortage of habitable middle-income housing in the East End, an approach that would be more immediately attractive and helpful to renters would be to build more middle-market rental housing, with a certain percentage of units slated for low-income (not Section 8, just renters earning below a certain income). Ideally, the marketing campaigns for the new buildings would emphasize superior quality to distinguish them from other available options. Laws that strengthen tenant rights and prevent landlords from hiking rents past a certain percentage per year are additional ways of maintaining a habitable rental housing supply for the working classes — although landlords, naturally, don't like these solutions very much.

A mix of housing types at a variety of price points is generally the best route to a healthy middle class rental market. If that's the direction Pittsburgh is going, then appreciable benefits for the majority of renters will be observed. If, however, the vast majority of new developments are luxury rentals, the benefits for middle- and low-income renters will be slim. Obviously, I no longer live in the city, but I encourage anyone interested in this issue to research new construction projects to determine who is funding them, what tax breaks, if any, the developer is getting, and how long they will stay in effect. Also, if this issue is of concern to you, keep track of the ratio of "average" to luxury units being developed, and above all, make your voice heard at council meetings — you don't want the "NIMBY" types who oppose all new construction to drown out your desire for affordable rentals!

Last edited by Mr.BadGuy; 12-26-2015 at 08:42 PM..

Old 12-26-2015, 08:11 PM

290 posts, read 366,661 times
This project in the Strip, incidentally, is slated as for-purchase condo units (as of Sept. 2015), so it will have little effect on the rental market...the target markets simply don't overlap.

Whether or not it's an eyesore is, of course, a matter of personal taste. Recall that in the mid-20th century, people hated the architectural style typified by the Seagram Building, the Time & Life Building, or the former Twin Towers. Today, people are nostalgic for this building style. I suspect with time and distance, the same will be the case for today's new architecture. So, if you dig these new digs and find that your nearest and dearest hate them, give it time. Someday this building will be held up as an example of "cool, retro architecture"!

Old 12-26-2015, 08:21 PM

3,595 posts, read 3,392,312 times
The people on this forum are too picky, they blasted the ex future us steel building for being too average. I think it is kinda funky

Old 12-26-2015, 09:52 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,599,049 times
I think this is the sort of design that looks better in real life than it does in these mock-ups. A lot also depends on where exactly in the Strip it's going to be...if it's adjacent to warehouses this kind of industrial look might blend OK, even if it's tall. The orange color of the shell will probably weather depending on the material, and won't look quite so "orange" with time.

Coming from Chicago, I have often thought Pittsburgh could use more condo buildings. This will compete with the more expensive loft rentals, because beyond a certain price point people will consider buying rather than renting...it will be interesting to see how that shakes out, but overall I think the Strip could use some more population density. It's a fantastic location on so many levels.

Old 12-26-2015, 10:53 PM

1,776 posts, read 2,697,769 times
If that "orange" is actually rusty metal, this is going to look dope in the strip.

Old 12-27-2015, 03:08 AM

4,582 posts, read 3,408,206 times
IIRC 27th and Penn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh