Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2015, 07:41 PM

1,901 posts, read 4,377,333 times

Advertisements

Mexicans & Puerto Ricans are more than 6% in Mt. Oliver Boro. Clairton & other towns in Allegheny County's Mon/Yough Valley, Knoxville, Beechview & Carrick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2015, 08:27 PM

2,269 posts, read 3,798,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
Makes sense that Puerto Ricans in the US might see themselves as PR first, Latino second, and then third as a member of some race. In a city like NYC, the large number of Puerto Ricans, and Dominicans, allows them to easily maintain a Puerto Rican, or Dominican identity. The problem in a place like Pittsburgh, is that there aren't enough Puerto Ricans, or Dominicans to form any sort of community. Thus they tend to gravitate towards the next group that they have things in common with. If they look white, they are white. In a place with a Mexican community, some might head there. In a place like Pittsburgh, those who have visible signs of African ancestry may be more comfortable associating with the black community, as they generally have no problem blending in there. Like WPipkins, the Puerto Ricans I know here, have basically become black folks, especially the ones who were born here.

Old 12-29-2015, 07:27 AM

175 posts, read 168,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
I don't know enough hispanics nor enough about Spanish to know, but is there a Spanish version of "Pittsburghese", where Pittsburgh area Spanish have their own way of speaking their own language.
(edit: ah sorry didn't realize this was a question!)

Is this purely anecdotal or is this actually a thing?

That sounds very interesting to me and I'd enjoy reading more about it if you have any sources...also, when you say Spanish are you referring to the people from Spain or simply those who speak the language? Either way, I'd love to learn a little more and/or see some examples of this. For example is it only an accent or does it actually include words/sentence constructions?

Last edited by PIT2MAD; 12-29-2015 at 08:00 AM..

Old 12-29-2015, 08:44 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,811,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herodotus View Post
Makes sense that Puerto Ricans in the US might see themselves as PR first, Latino second, and then third as a member of some race. In a city like NYC, the large number of Puerto Ricans, and Dominicans, allows them to easily maintain a Puerto Rican, or Dominican identity. The problem in a place like Pittsburgh, is that there aren't enough Puerto Ricans, or Dominicans to form any sort of community. Thus they tend to gravitate towards the next group that they have things in common with. If they look white, they are white. In a place with a Mexican community, some might head there. In a place like Pittsburgh, those who have visible signs of African ancestry may be more comfortable associating with the black community, as they generally have no problem blending in there. Like WPipkins, the Puerto Ricans I know here, have basically become black folks, especially the ones who were born here.
I think it's more a rejection of us racial views. It's a way to differentiate themselves from being lumped in with blacks who are very different culturally and racially. To further confuse matters there's class. In the 50s through the 70s the sugar plantations were being closed down which threw uneducated farm hands (in pr this would be the jibarito, loosely translated as hick). Those were the people fleeing then, largely to cities like philly, ny, chicago, milwaukee that appeared to have large numbers of factory jobs suitable for unskilled workers. Of course as we know those jobs were evaporating. Over the past 15 years the out migration has been led by college graduates who are more likely to assimilate into middle class america. In my experience that is exactly what's happening. It isn't 100 percent since it isn't just college graduates leaving but the mix is much different than it was a few decades ago.
racially pr is very diverse. I'm there now, the stereotypically big ass, etc isn't as prevalent as I would have thought and people vary A LOT. Pr has been a sort of safe haven for various groups over the years, conservatives from Latin America that were being overthrown in the 19th c, Cuban business owners in the 20th.

Still, pittsburghs hispanic population is so small it's like being in a small club.

Old 12-29-2015, 05:57 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,254,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PIT2MAD View Post
(edit: ah sorry didn't realize this was a question!)

Is this purely anecdotal or is this actually a thing?

That sounds very interesting to me and I'd enjoy reading more about it if you have any sources..?

I really don't know enough Spanish or local Spanish-speakers to really know.

Maybe someone more knowledgable could shine a light on this, I know that Spanish speakers in other cities like Barcelona have a distinctive speech pattern or dialect, how about Spanish speakers in Pittsburgh?

Old 12-30-2015, 06:48 AM

2,269 posts, read 3,798,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
I think it's more a rejection of us racial views. It's a way to differentiate themselves from being lumped in with blacks who are very different culturally and racially. To further confuse matters there's class. In the 50s through the 70s the sugar plantations were being closed down which threw uneducated farm hands (in pr this would be the jibarito, loosely translated as hick). Those were the people fleeing then, largely to cities like philly, ny, chicago, milwaukee that appeared to have large numbers of factory jobs suitable for unskilled workers. Of course as we know those jobs were evaporating. Over the past 15 years the out migration has been led by college graduates who are more likely to assimilate into middle class america. In my experience that is exactly what's happening. It isn't 100 percent since it isn't just college graduates leaving but the mix is much different than it was a few decades ago.
racially pr is very diverse. I'm there now, the stereotypically big ass, etc isn't as prevalent as I would have thought and people vary A LOT. Pr has been a sort of safe haven for various groups over the years, conservatives from Latin America that were being overthrown in the 19th c, Cuban business owners in the 20th.

Still, pittsburghs hispanic population is so small it's like being in a small club.
People like to be comfortable, and nothing is more comfortable than being with people similar to yourself. Even Jamaicans, who racially can fit in easily with US blacks, tended to cluster together in areas where there were large numbers of them. Hatians as well. In Pittsburgh, where the numbers are small, that option didn't exist, so you tended to move on to the next closest thing. If a Puerto Rican here looks like Marc Anthony, he will likely blend in with the white folks. If he looks like Roberto Clemente, he'll end up with the black folks. While the average Puerto Rican will look different than the average black, the range of phenotypes in each group is extremely broad, and overlap a great deal. This complicates things in a place like Pittsburgh, where Puerto Ricans, and Domincans don't get the cultural reinforcement that they would get in a place like NYC. They tend to become less Puerto Rican, or Dominican, from a cultural standpoint. At that point, their phenotype becomes more important. When Clemente came to Pittsburgh, he ended up living on the Hill. No one on the Hill shared his culture, but the people looked like him, so that is where he ended up. When talking about groups that overlap racially, it tends to be culture that creates the distinction between them.

Kind of like the way blacks who grow up in overwhelmingly white suburbs, tend to be less "stereotypically black", than someone who comes from a heavily black area.

Old 12-30-2015, 07:42 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,811,894 times
I'd imagine in those days people like clemente were not free to live where they chose, well leave it at that. This discussion can't go anywhere productive. It's true people like to live among people with whom they share something in common. Culture is probably the biggest determinant and I touched on that a bit but you seemed to ignore it and focus solely on race. In any event, the number of Hispanics will continue to increase as long as there's work despite challenges they may see from locals.

Old 12-30-2015, 10:22 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,539,703 times
Having lived in Florida for 20 years, immigrants from Central America were primarily employed in the tourist and homebuilding industries. A good portion left after the 2006 housing bubble peak.

What industries are attracting them to Pittsburgh?

Old 01-06-2016, 10:16 AM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,855,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillydominican View Post
Now we all know the eastern half of the state has a large Hispanic population, especially Puerto Ricans. With a large number in the Philadelphia area, and even in smaller cities like Allentown, Reading, Lancaster, Harrisburg, York, Scranton, and Hazelton to name a few. While the western part of the state seems like the opposite, with few Hispanics. I think its only a matter of time before Western PA gets hit wit the same Hispanic migration wave as Eastern PA, tho to a much lesser degree. Is there already sizable numbers of Hispanics in the metropolitan areas of Pittsburgh and Erie? If so, what neighborhoods are u most likely to find them? Im sure there are some neighborhoods in both metro areas that are atleast 10-15% Hispanic and growing, where they at???
The Hispanic population seems to be growing in Erie and the main area I have seen a larger Hispanic population is the upper and lower east sides of the city. Near the Multicultural Center on East 10 St. there seems to be a growing Hispanic Community. Also, I like to eat at Latino's Restaurant since they have pretty good food and I have seen a good number of Hispanic families eating there on a regular basis. I am surprised there are not more Bodegas in Erie and while I have noticed Wegmans carrying more Hispanic food items, there are not many places to go for authentic Hispanic food in the area.

Old 10-02-2016, 10:24 AM

184 posts, read 235,123 times
Well I would say small (but growing relatively fast) hispanic populations (mainly mexicans and puerto ricans) are scattered throughout alot of pittsburgh, especially among black neighborhoods. Though, the highest concentrations can be found on the city's Northside (East Allegheny, Manchester, Fineview) , immediately across the Allegheny river from downtown , these areas are atleast 8-10% Hispanic by now, and would probably be close to 20% by the 2020 census. There are also SMALL hispanic populations in McKeesport and Homestead.

As for Erie, its likely close to 9% hispanic by now, again mostly ricans and mexicans. There mostly scattered around the eastern portion of the city.

Aside from Hispanic migrants from Mexico and Puerto Rico. Many US born hispanics are moving to Pennsylvania (even the western part of the state now) in large numbers from neighboring areas. US born Hispanics moving to the Pittsburgh/Erie areas usually have roots in NYC, NJ, Eastern PA/Philly, DC, Cleveland, and Buffalo. So, I'm guessing in acouple more decades, the area's Hispanic population would be noticeably more Puerto Rican leaning. By the 2020 census, I think Pittsburgh would be about 5-6% Hispanic (compared to a little over 2% in 2010) and Erie would probably be around 12% (compared to 7% in 2010).

Last edited by DarkLoFan; 10-02-2016 at 11:02 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh