Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2015, 02:47 PM

1,653 posts, read 1,585,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post

I don't know where all this "new money" is coming from. I'm a fastidious worker and have enjoyed ZERO upward economic mobility since moving here over five years ago. Do I just have the misfortune of always working for the city's worst employers?
It gives me no joy to say this, but you did ask.

It's not misfortune. It is a series of choices against your own best interests. PNC is only a bad employer if you work in customer service, it's not bad in an analytical role. This is the case for every major bank.
I know nothing about this company but if you want to make better money it might be an option that would use your degree and train you in a marketable skill set without forcing you to be an accountant.
Digital Marketing Analyst job - JAG Offers, LLC - Pittsburgh, PA | Indeed.com
Alternately, if you hate the idea of an analytical desk job, consider the building trades.
Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2015, 02:49 PM

41,018 posts, read 18,189,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
What I consider the burbs is a little different than most. Those boroughs outside of Allegheny County. Like most cities, the strongest growth is outside of the main core county limits. I have seen several articles lately about the national growing trend of reverse migration from cities to the burbs. Here, the COL and lifestyle is pushing people out past Cranberry and Southpointe. My friends want the small walkable towns that offer the same as the Pittsburgh neighborhoods without the negatives. I ask them about the commute times and they say their current lifestyle is worth it.
If they didn't feel the commute times were worth it they wouldn't live where they do. Commute times just aren't as bad as some think they are...mostly because they haven't tried it.

Old 12-31-2015, 03:09 PM

1,653 posts, read 1,585,203 times
Moving to the burbs is called reverse migration now?

Old 12-31-2015, 03:11 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,539,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
Many of the southern suburbs like Baldwin, Brentwood, West Mifflin and Pleasant Hills don't seem to be very popular these days.
The only places I've observed having problems are in the city limits or the old mill towns. Wilkinsburg is an exception.

Bellevue is on the downward slide in the area adjacent to Bighton Heights.

Old 12-31-2015, 03:16 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,598,215 times
Quote:
I wish the city could expand its boundaries. Psychologically I just can't fathom living outside the city limits. I would happily live in Millvale, Wilkinsburg, Braddock, Duquesne, Rankin, Sharpsburg, Etna, etc. because I like some grit, character, and "Rust Belt Chic". The notion, however, of not being a Pittsburgher, and, therefore having no say in city governance, is a no-go for me. I like that our mayor likes my status updates.
You have to be willing to make some compromises somewhere. You can, as others have said, find a better-paying job. At the same time, the city HAS expanded its boundaries in the past -- that's how we got the Northside, remember? And there are plenty of properties over here that you CAN afford, I promise. On the other hand, though, you can also get over the need to be in Pittsburgh. The mayor of Braddock is a cool guy, for example, and I am sure he will love your status updates.

I don't mean to give you a hard time, but I don't see why all this is so hard to add up. You post so much negative stuff about Shadyside, AND you complain about not being able to afford it. Maybe it's just not for you. Come give the North side a chance -- it's affordable AND down to earth, honestly.

Old 12-31-2015, 03:56 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,254,431 times
Quote:
ic". The notion, however, of not being a Pittsburgher, and, therefore having no say in city governance, is a no-go for me. I like that our mayor likes my status updates. I like that I can share jokes with one of our councilwomen. Someday saying "I'm a City Councilperson in Brackenridge" just doesn't sit well with me.

If this was the promised land of Columbus, pretty much every urbanized mill town and first-rung suburb would be part of "the city". I didn't move to Pittsburgh to live in a small town independent of the city. Who moves to Detroit to live in Ypsilanti or moves to Seattle to live in Redmond??

You don't really have any say in city governance anyhow, its been a one-party municipality my whole life.

Nothing wrong with people serving as a councilman in Brackenridge or a commissioner in East Deer. Taking care of government functions like street clearing, trash collection and the police department is an important task, and plenty of people prefer the self-rule that this arrangement brings- feeling its better than having to go down to Grant St. to beg someone to get a crossroads established. Further, I don't think Pittsburgh City Council has any interest in overseeing municipal services so far and wide.

You can still be friends with Peduto if you like, even if you live in Harmar, Kennedy or even "soulless" Cranberry.

Old 12-31-2015, 04:23 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,814,207 times
Why not just become friends with and share status updates with Richard Fitzgerald, the commissioner of Allegheny County? I met him in an elevator once and he seems like a nice guy. He shares the same vision as Peduto and they probably collaborate on the same projects together. You would still be in his jurisdiction in whatever neighboring borough you choose to move to.

Old 12-31-2015, 06:17 PM

268 posts, read 385,208 times
Just a note on the City vs. First Ring Suburbs conversation. I'm holding it down in Millvale. I guess growing up around here I don't see much of a difference psychologically or otherwise that we don't live officially live in the City, but have as many city amenities and access as a lot of parts of the city proper. Affordability-wise, housing is much cheaper and you have a considerably lower wage tax. If you live on the other side of the Allegheny River or 1/2 mile south on Route 28 you get to pay 3% of your wages to the City and City Schools. In Millvale, you pay a total of 1%. Moving to Millvale is the equivalent to getting a 2% raise in pay.

Not saying we are living the dream here, but there are trade offs everywhere and if folks really do need to save a little money, moving to a first ring suburb will save you in both housing and in Wage tax costs.

Old 12-31-2015, 06:40 PM

14,352 posts, read 17,012,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
The only places I've observed having problems are in the city limits or the old mill towns. Wilkinsburg is an exception.
Parts of Penn Hills and West Mifflin are pretty unquestionably in decline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
Bellevue is on the downward slide in the area adjacent to Bighton Heights.
Bellvue isn't an old mill town either. It's an old streetcar suburb.

Old 12-31-2015, 09:39 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,539,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Parts of Penn Hills and West Mifflin are pretty unquestionably in decline.

Bellvue isn't an old mill town either. It's an old streetcar suburb.

Agreed it's an exception.

That map posted the other day showing the 2015 Allegheny County murders is a pretty nice indicator of neighborhoods with problems. They're almost all confined to inside the city limits and the old mill towns plus Wilkinsburg. That would include Brighton Heights, which had another shooting reported tonight. That area's problems are bleeding into Bellevue the last 5 years or so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh