Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 07:28 AM

570 posts, read 1,411,243 times

Advertisements

Buzz, The type of Stripper Bass that has been introduced into the Allegheny and Ohio Rivers and also some larger lakes in the western part of PA are Hybrid Strippers. The lateral stripes are broken. I would say a large stripper on the river would run around 8 or 10 pounds. The state record being a non hybrid -salt water species caught over in the Delaware River weighed 53 lbs and 13 oz. The Strippers found around here are a smaller species, but still a blast to catch on light tackle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2008, 10:31 AM

Location: Milky Way Galaxy,Earth,Northern Hemisphere,North America,USA,Pennsyltucky
795 posts, read 2,803,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by londonbarcelona View Post
Any one know what the beaches at Lake Erie are like? I miss Lake Ontario!

So - top three places to fish and top three places to swim are....?

Thanks!
Swimming:

Lake Arthur at Moraine State Park, Ohiopyle about 60 miles south of Pittsburgh off of rte 40, and Presque Isle at Erie PA on Lake Erie. Many small swimming holes in local streams. Blue Hole outside of Perryopolis is a good one.

Many many great fishing streams locally and in the outlying areas. Small mouth bass on the Connoquennessing, brown trout on Dunbar Creek in Fayette County. Great steelhead fishing on the streams feeding into Lake Erie. I recommend John Nagy's "Steelhead Guide" book for local steelhead fishing. PM me, I'll give you his email address to order his latest edition, and he'll autograph it for you, and maybe throw in some flies.

blessings, Shen

Old 02-13-2008, 12:31 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,242,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
Buzz, The type of Stripper Bass that has been introduced into the Allegheny and Ohio Rivers and also some larger lakes in the western part of PA are Hybrid Strippers. The lateral stripes are broken. I would say a large stripper on the river would run around 8 or 10 pounds. The state record being a non hybrid -salt water species caught over in the Delaware River weighed 53 lbs and 13 oz. The Strippers found around here are a smaller species, but still a blast to catch on light tackle.
I now have a mental image of a fish, in a thong, working the pole...

And not a fishing pole....

Old 02-13-2008, 03:22 PM

30 posts, read 113,069 times
Here in Westmoreland county, there are numerous trout streams to fish for mainly brown trout but also rainbow and brook. You will also find nice bass, walleye, perch in a couple areas like Loyalhanna. And if you really just wanna catch fish, bluegill are everywhere. There are also many ponds around which have carp and bass.

Old 02-18-2008, 07:11 AM

675 posts, read 2,097,481 times
Lets say you were looking for a nice, secluded spot to go fly fishing. Where would the closest spot to do that be? Or the best spots in general?

Old 04-12-2010, 03:03 PM

Location: 30monkmains rd. haddington east lothian scotland uk eh414na
1 posts, read 4,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
hi rocklobster, hope i am not taking liberties here but being a mega keen 66 yearold fly fisher i visit my daughter who resides in pittsburgh( and knows nowt about fishing) i wonder if you could advise where and how i might get a couple of days fly fishing in or near pittsburg when i visit from 25th june to 7th july, i am reg. disabled but pretty active and eager with a rod in my hand, any advice would be most welcome, tight lines ian507 frae scotland.

Old 04-12-2010, 04:50 PM

419 posts, read 447,949 times

Old 04-12-2010, 10:08 PM

78 posts, read 136,984 times
Ian.-- are you in a wheelchair ?

Old 04-13-2010, 11:17 AM

780 posts, read 1,384,002 times
Ian,
What type of fish are you after? If you are wheelchair bound, there are some lakes that are accessible. If you are after trout, fishing some of the streams may be more difficult. If you give me some specifics of what you are looking to target, I can put up a post on a fishing specific message board I frequent (that has a lot of fly fishers on it) and I am sure I can get some good leads for you.
There are decent larger streams that still might be holding trout that late in the summer (rainbow, brown and some native brook) but the trek to get to them may be a little difficult. Lake fishing for bass and panfish may be the easiest.

Old 04-13-2010, 02:12 PM

1,862 posts, read 2,385,154 times
It's been a very long time since I've fished there but... I used to go to Highland Park Dam. Mostly caught Carp but occasionally would land a game fish like a Small mouth....

I'd be curious what it's like now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh