Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 08:42 AM

25 posts, read 52,188 times

Advertisements

thanks everyone for lots of insights and good info on buying a house in pittsburgh. it is trickier than i had thought because of the differences in neighborhoods.

i originally put a bid in for a place in squirrel hill, but the seller countered with a price HIGHER than the stated amount! my realtor said he had never seen that before. it turned out the owner was way, way in debt and could not lower the price. too bad.

so, i am now looking at a place in swisshelm park. it is a nice, basic, 2 story brick home with a 2 car garage, AC, 2.5 baths, nice yard. nothing spectacular but very comfortable.

does anyone know much about swisshelm park? it seems to be a very small neighborhood, quiet to the point of boring, but located close to squirrel hill, frick park, and regent square.

the realtor says the area is a good one, but not well known so prices are relatively cheap.

any info from anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2008, 08:53 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hongkyongnae View Post
does anyone know much about swisshelm park? it seems to be a very small neighborhood, quiet to the point of boring, but located close to squirrel hill, frick park, and regent square.

the realtor says the area is a good one, but not well known so prices are relatively cheap.

any info from anyone?
That sounds mostly right to me. I live in Regent Square and like to visit nearby neighborhoods, and even I almost never get over to Swisshelm Park despite it being so close. But despite feeling a bit isolated in that sense, it is a perfectly pleasant, very safe, and well-located neighborhood--it just doesn't have the sort of "downtown" areas that Squirrel Hill and Regent Square offer, and it is also a little less upscale in general.

That said, a pet peeve of mine is realtors claiming that demand for an area is relatively low because people don't know about it. Buyers tend to know about any areas that might fit their requirements, and indeed it is the job of realtors to make those areas known to their clients. So unless realtors as a whole are doing a very bad job, that is not a particularly good explanation for why prices in Swisshelm Park are relatively low.

Rather, I think demand, and therefore prices, are lower in Swisshelm Park than in Squirrel Hill or Regent Square just because of the attributes I noted: a lack of a "downtown", not quite as upscale, and generally feeling somewhat isolated. But that doesn't mean Swisshelm Park is a bad location for you as an individual, and indeed you might get a relative bargain there if given your personal preferences, you like the neighborhood.

Old 05-08-2008, 08:54 AM

632 posts, read 1,740,133 times
Thumbs up Swisshelm Park - Two Thumbs Up!

Quote:

any info from anyone?
Swisshelm Park is a little hidden gem in the rough. According to crime statistics it is the #1 safest neighborhood in Pittsburgh. It's like a small town in the heart of the city, the kind of place where you might actually know your neighbors and your kids can safely play outside.

I badly wanted to buy a house in Swisshelm Park when we were looking a year ago, but just couldn't find the right house in the right price range at the time. If you have found a house there that you like, and a quiet safe neighborhood is your thing, I'd say GO FOR IT!

Old 05-09-2008, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subdivisions View Post
Swisshelm Park is a little hidden gem in the rough. According to crime statistics it is the #1 safest neighborhood in Pittsburgh. It's like a small town in the heart of the city, the kind of place where you might actually know your neighbors and your kids can safely play outside.

I badly wanted to buy a house in Swisshelm Park when we were looking a year ago, but just couldn't find the right house in the right price range at the time. If you have found a house there that you like, and a quiet safe neighborhood is your thing, I'd say GO FOR IT!
Ha, ha. thank you everyone. this site has so much good info on pittsburgh and good posters who honestly explain so much.

the seller just accepted our offer today, so off to swisshelm park we go! i agree it has no "downtown." but regent square and squirrel hill are soooo close in my mind. (anything less than 20 minutes = "next door")

i do have one question. as i look on google maps (and i LOVE the street view) i see a large, open area to the west of swisshelm. does anyone know if anyone plans to build anything there?

once again, i am so very pleased to be moving to pittsburgh. thanks to all of you here.

Old 05-09-2008, 08:13 PM

Quote:
the seller just accepted our offer today, so off to swisshelm park we go!
Congratulations!

Quote:
i agree it has no "downtown." but regent square and squirrel hill are soooo close in my mind. (anything less than 20 minutes = "next door")
Absolutely ... it is definitely part of what I roughly think of as the greater Frick Park area, including also Squirrel Hill, Point Breeze, and Regent Square.

Quote:
i do have one question. as i look on google maps (and i LOVE the street view) i see a large, open area to the west of swisshelm. does anyone know if anyone plans to build anything there?
If I know what you are talking about, that is actually part of the Nine Mile Run system of hills and valleys, which also extends through Frick Park. Over on the other side of Nine Mile Run, they are building the Summerset at Frick Park development, but that is actually on a slag heap that created a kind of plateau next to the hills on that side. On the Swisshelm Park side, it isn't really ideal for development due to the complex topography, which is part of why Frick Park is a park and not developed. However, there is talk of at least extending a trail down Nine Mile Run from Frick Park to Duck Hollow, which is the spot where Nine Mile Run empties into the Mon.

Old 05-17-2008, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Congratulations!

Absolutely ... it is definitely part of what I roughly think of as the greater Frick Park area, including also Squirrel Hill, Point Breeze, and Regent Square.

If I know what you are talking about, that is actually part of the Nine Mile Run system of hills and valleys, which also extends through Frick Park. Over on the other side of Nine Mile Run, they are building the Summerset at Frick Park development, but that is actually on a slag heap that created a kind of plateau next to the hills on that side. On the Swisshelm Park side, it isn't really ideal for development due to the complex topography, which is part of why Frick Park is a park and not developed. However, there is talk of at least extending a trail down Nine Mile Run from Frick Park to Duck Hollow, which is the spot where Nine Mile Run empties into the Mon.
actually, i was referring to that section of swisshelm park that is just west of the residential area (love st. etc.) but east of the Run. i think it may be used for biking now.

my real question is about the summerset housing project. is it, or any other housing, currently planned for that area? will the summerset project run directly next to swisshelm park, and, if so, will they be connected?

thanks.

Old 05-18-2008, 06:36 PM

Quote:

my real question is about the summerset housing project. is it, or any other housing, currently planned for that area? will the summerset project run directly next to swisshelm park, and, if so, will they be connected?

thanks.
Here is the Master Plan for Summerset, and it appears to included a development in that area:

http://www.summersetatfrickpark.com/UserFiles/PDF/masterPlan.pdf (broken link)

Old 05-25-2008, 12:52 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
You know, I just now re-read (skimmed) all 116 repsonses to By~Tor's initial post, and I do not find a post that is telling him not to move there. People offered opinions on various neighborhoods, for good and for bad, but nary a word of discouragement.

Old 05-27-2008, 11:16 AM

803 posts, read 2,970,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You know, I just now re-read (skimmed) all 116 repsonses to By~Tor's initial post, and I do not find a post that is telling him not to move there. People offered opinions on various neighborhoods, for good and for bad, but nary a word of discouragement.
Well, in any event, we're HERE now, finally!!---- We ended up in the apartment on brownsville Road in Mt. Oliver, and while I hear the area directly north of us is somewhat dicey, it's certainly liveable, in my opinion.... I'm used to certain amount of "grittiness", and the ease of commute to most areas from here makes a decent trade-off for the marginality of the neighborhood, itself....

Hell, at this rate, I'm just happy to BE here!---now, if only our belongings would show up........... [sighs]!!!!!

Your Newest Pittsburgher,

By-Tor

Old 05-27-2008, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by By~Tor View Post
Well, in any event, we're HERE now, finally!!
Welcome! I know it was quite a saga getting here, and I am glad you made it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh