U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 05:09 PM

803 posts, read 2,780,957 times

Advertisements

Okay, so here's where we're at, and some of you may actually remember me posting on here for a bit last year, but it looks as if all those posts have been deleted (only 2 pages in the forum???)....

I am, basically, engaged to a wonderful gal here in NYC. We've been looking into buying ahouse somewhere, outside of NYC, where property values are more reflective of REALITY, rather than the fantastical numbers you get here, even when looking for a modest two BR house or condo...

Her SISTER is engaged to a guy now in Hawai'i, but he's going to be moving back to Pittsburgh, where his family hails from, after their upcoming wedding in late 2008 or early 2009. The sister, obviously, will me making the move to Pittsburgh...

BOTH gals' parents are somewhat elderly Hungarian immigrants who have spent the past thirty + years in New York City. They are very used to the convenience of being able to walk pretty much everywhere they really "need" to go, and drive to other places, not far from home for other supplies. They, of course, do not want to be far from their beloved daughter, and so they are looking at possibly moving to Pittsburgh, but they know NOTHING about the area...actually, none of us do....

SO.................

I tell you all that, so that my questions in this thread will make sense and, hopefully, garner some thoughtful and accurate responses, because there's alot riding on a possible move, as my gal and I had planned originally to stay somewhat closer to NYC after the sisters' wedding, so that we could help look after the parents.

So here are the questions, and thanks in advance, for taking the time to help me out, here:

1. In which areas of the city itself might I find decent housing for sale in a SAFE neighborhood, for UNDER $160,000.00? Mainly looking for a 3BR/2BA with basement, older stock, and not have to worry about bullets flying through the windows or walking back from the bus/train alone after work.

2. I have over 15 years' experience in the janitorial / facilities maintenance field, and will be looking to, of course, "work"... which local janitorial / building maintenance companies have the largest commercial & retail presence in the area? Also, contact info would be helpful...

3. Are there any neighborhoods with heavier concentrations of Hungarian or Eastern European population? I know there's some good Irish areas, but I'm unaware of any Hungarian delis, churches, or other amenities...

4. Which neighborhoods, overall, have the best access to public transportation, balanced out with affordable housing and close (walking) proximity to supermarkets and pharmacies? We will have cars, but the parents may not feel comfortable driving around a new city until they get their bearings straight...

Thanks again, for your help.... also, if there's any Real Estate people on here, I'd like to discuss a possible trip to the ara to look at housing. My gal and I have already been approved for around $170,000 (January '08), and we're thinking of coming out over Presidents' Day Weekend to look at housing and get a feel for the city.

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2008, 06:02 PM

3 posts, read 9,692 times
Mt Lebanon is a suburban community you may want to consider. You can find housing under $160T with good transit access (light rail and bus), excellent schools that are walk-to schools. Housing is varied in price and style, primarily single family detached homes but there are some of what we in Baltimore called semi-detached (2 units in one building), condos and apartments.

Old 02-05-2008, 06:03 PM

809 posts, read 2,228,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by By~Tor View Post
Okay, so here's where we're at, and some of you may actually remember me posting on here for a bit last year, but it looks as if all those posts have been deleted (only 2 pages in the forum???)....

I am, basically, engaged to a wonderful gal here in NYC. We've been looking into buying ahouse somewhere, outside of NYC, where property values are more reflective of REALITY, rather than the fantastical numbers you get here, even when looking for a modest two BR house or condo...

Her SISTER is engaged to a guy now in Hawai'i, but he's going to be moving back to Pittsburgh, where his family hails from, after their upcoming wedding in late 2008 or early 2009. The sister, obviously, will me making the move to Pittsburgh...

BOTH gals' parents are somewhat elderly Hungarian immigrants who have spent the past thirty + years in New York City. They are very used to the convenience of being able to walk pretty much everywhere they really "need" to go, and drive to other places, not far from home for other supplies. They, of course, do not want to be far from their beloved daughter, and so they are looking at possibly moving to Pittsburgh, but they know NOTHING about the area...actually, none of us do....

SO.................

I tell you all that, so that my questions in this thread will make sense and, hopefully, garner some thoughtful and accurate responses, because there's alot riding on a possible move, as my gal and I had planned originally to stay somewhat closer to NYC after the sisters' wedding, so that we could help look after the parents.

So here are the questions, and thanks in advance, for taking the time to help me out, here:

1. In which areas of the city itself might I find decent housing for sale in a SAFE neighborhood, for UNDER $160,000.00? Mainly looking for a 3BR/2BA with basement, older stock, and not have to worry about bullets flying through the windows or walking back from the bus/train alone after work.

2. I have over 15 years' experience in the janitorial / facilities maintenance field, and will be looking to, of course, "work"... which local janitorial / building maintenance companies have the largest commercial & retail presence in the area? Also, contact info would be helpful...

3. Are there any neighborhoods with heavier concentrations of Hungarian or Eastern European population? I know there's some good Irish areas, but I'm unaware of any Hungarian delis, churches, or other amenities...

4. Which neighborhoods, overall, have the best access to public transportation, balanced out with affordable housing and close (walking) proximity to supermarkets and pharmacies? We will have cars, but the parents may not feel comfortable driving around a new city until they get their bearings straight...

Thanks again, for your help.... also, if there's any Real Estate people on here, I'd like to discuss a possible trip to the ara to look at housing. My gal and I have already been approved for around $170,000 (January '08), and we're thinking of coming out over Presidents' Day Weekend to look at housing and get a feel for the city.

1. Maybe Bloomfield? Reagent Square? Lawrenceville?
2. no idea
3. My father's family is Hungarian and from Pittsburgh. Pole Zedek was originally a Hungarian Synagogue. There were many Hungarian families who immigrated to the Pittsburgh area but I think they've mostly been assimilated by now to general American culture.
4.Squirrel Hill, Shadyside and Oakland. Unfortunately for you they are expensive, more expensive, and College City respectively.

Old 02-05-2008, 06:22 PM

803 posts, read 2,780,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pldrake View Post
Mt Lebanon is a suburban community you may want to consider. You can find housing under $160T with good transit access (light rail and bus), excellent schools that are walk-to schools. Housing is varied in price and style, primarily single family detached homes but there are some of what we in Baltimore called semi-detached (2 units in one building), condos and apartments.

How close to the City Center IS Mt. Lebanon?

Old 02-06-2008, 06:07 AM

2,338 posts, read 7,278,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gameguy56 View Post

3. My father's family is Hungarian and from Pittsburgh. Pole Zedek was originally a Hungarian Synagogue. There were many Hungarian families who immigrated to the Pittsburgh area but I think they've mostly been assimilated by now to general American culture.
Well Pole Zadek is an Orthodox Synagogue...so unless they are not only Jewish -- but observant Jews -- they would probably try to elsewhere.

Try GlobalPittsburgh.org: Hungarian (http://www.globalpittsburgh.org/communities/index.jsp?pageId=0690200091781101593422030 - broken link)

Old 02-06-2008, 07:48 AM

2,902 posts, read 9,403,183 times
Quote:
Yes! I will ask my dad before I post the response because I don't want to give you bad information.
Quote:
By~Tor, I know you think you're being pretty specific, but I could probably list you WELL over a dozen places just at the top of my head. There are MANY places in Pittsburgh you can buy a home for 160k or less and own a nice place. Do you want a big yard or more like a rowhouse? Do you want something very urban or more "white picket fence" suburb? How important are schools?
Quote:
Again, there are just so many options.. I think 160k is actually above the Pittsburgh average median home price.

Whew, anyone else notice a large amount of people flooding the boards to relocate recently?

Old 02-06-2008, 07:57 AM

237 posts, read 804,630 times
I was going to suggest Lawrenceville. While many of the Eastern European families have assimilated, you can still find bits of culture.

For example, there is an Eastern European deli located on Butler St. They also have courier service - like UPS, but for focusing on serving Eastern Europe (if you would still have family back there.) There isn't a lot, but there will be subtle influences of the different Eastern European cultures

Lawrenceville is actually pretty close to dowtown and I think it is relatively safe. It is very large, so some parts are better then others. For example, I prefer being west of Allegheny Cemetary, both because I think it is safer and because it is closer to town (if you look at a map of Lawrenceville, the cemetary is huge and makes a good landmark) Also, you might want to consider staying north of Butler St., between Butler St. and the Allegheny River, where it is flatter, because it would make better terrain for walking (especially for the older folks.)

Also, I live there and I rely 100% on public transportation, so most everything you need can be found there (and when it can't, a short bus ride to the Waterworks Mall can usually make up the rest.)

Old 02-06-2008, 08:01 AM

Quote:
I was going to suggest Lawrenceville.
The only bad part about Lawrenceville is that you have to have a taste for that sort of living. For example, you won't find big yards and modern homes. It's very cramped (quaint?) and the houses are often tall and thin, and the streets are often narrow, and driveways can be hard to come by. I mean, there is a lot of movement into the area, especially a lot of young professionals who've acquired a taste for that sort of neighborhood. There is a large and growing culture in the area and it really is a neat place, but I wouldn't encourage it for everyone.

Old 02-06-2008, 08:12 AM

237 posts, read 804,630 times
and, Guylocke, I don't recommend it for everyone. Even folks who ask about it sometimes don't get an answer from me, because their question shows they aren't really interested in what it has to offer.

However, these folks are looking for: a walkable neighborhood, on transit lines, affordable housing, relative safety, and influenced by Eastern European culture. So, yeah, Lawrenceville fits.

I have no idea why you would run my answer down. I actually live in the neighborhood and know that it offers many of the specific things they asked for. I didn't see them ask for a large lawn - but I did see them ask for certain things, which I know exist in Lawrenceville. I didn't run anyone else's anwer down, though I have my doubts that Mt. Lebanon offers a lot of what they asked about. I just gave them another option to look at.

Old 02-06-2008, 08:18 AM

Quote:
I have no idea why you would run my answer down.
I think you're blowing this a little out of proportion. Am I not allowed to give them my own opinion and cautions? I specifically said it's a really neat place and there are a lot of people moving there, but is isn't for everyone. No one mentioned the things I did about Lawrenceville, and those are things I would PERSONALLY want to know. So maybe it is a great fit for them, but maybe it isn't. They aren't entitled to the facts??

It wasn't an attack on your suggestion. If they decide they like Lawrenceville, fantastic!! I am in no way thwarting that decision, I think Lawrenceville is a great place.
Quote:
Even folks who ask about it sometimes don't get an answer from me, because their question shows they aren't really interested in what it has to offer.
How am I to know something like that?? I don't randomly think such thoughts as "geeze I bet suzeeq521 didn't mention Lawrenceville this time around because it's obviously not what they're looking for. He's such a thinker!"

lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh