Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2016, 02:33 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
Given the very positive results in NYC, I'd be for instituting a stop & frisk policy in high violent crime areas of the city here.
I know the media loves to use that term, but it is actually incorrect. It was stop, question and frisk and it worked like a charm, BUT there was more changes in the NYPD that never gets discussed because the moronic media just likes to fan flames. The NYPD also designated officers to certain parts of the city to get to know the people especially in higher crime areas and they became responsible for their area. That created accountability. Of course that is boring for the media, so they just preached "STOP AND FRISK!", which never really existed, but that is the dumb media for you. Never telling any truths EVER!

Sadly crime in NYC is on the rise due to police not stopping anyone anymore. It is what it is.

EXCLUSIVE: NYC stop-and-frisk plunges as crime climbs - NY Daily News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2016, 02:35 PM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Police investigate homicide in Hampton | TribLIVE

Meanwhile someone from Mt. Lebanon was just murdered at a house in Hampton Township, so the super-affluent lily-white suburbs here aren't immune from violent crime, either.

Come on SCR, you are being silly now. Some act like that can happen anywhere, but to try and compare Hampton to Wilkinsburg is... well humor at its best.

Old 03-28-2016, 02:43 PM

14,352 posts, read 17,012,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
I know the media loves to use that term, but it is actually incorrect. It was stop, question and frisk and it worked like a charm, BUT there was more changes in the NYPD that never gets discussed because the moronic media just likes to fan flames. The NYPD also designated officers to certain parts of the city to get to know the people especially in higher crime areas and they became responsible for their area. That created accountability. Of course that is boring for the media, so they just preached "STOP AND FRISK!", which never really existed, but that is the dumb media for you. Never telling any truths EVER!
The most important thing that the police can do to improve policing in high crime areas is to get the law-abiding public to have trust in them. If the locals look at the police as just another gang, who will indiscriminately harass them and possibly beat them for no good reason, they aren't going to call the police when something goes down.

Old 03-28-2016, 02:50 PM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
The most important thing that the police can do to improve policing in high crime areas is to get the law-abiding public to have trust in them. If the locals look at the police as just another gang, who will indiscriminately harass them and possibly beat them for no good reason, they aren't going to call the police when something goes down.
This is true and in NYC that is exactly what they did by assigning officers to small areas to get to know the people who live there. Like I said, the moronic media only likes to shout, STOP and FRISK, but that is a lie and there was way more to the police changes than reported.

Anyway, Stop, Question and Frisk would work wonders in bad areas. It would drop crime very fast.

Old 03-28-2016, 02:54 PM

41,018 posts, read 18,189,699 times
Quote:
It can easily be argued that residents are far more scared of repercussions by those that they call police on. Far more locals will complain of the police when they actually do their job, however.

City police don't get paid enough.

Old 05-20-2016, 05:18 PM

2,218 posts, read 1,944,302 times
If any of you posters in this thread actually want to have a first-hand experience in the neighborhood you have so much to say about... here's your chance:

Link on Penn celebrates Wilkinsburg with stories, music and food trucks - NEXTpittsburgh

Old 06-20-2018, 08:57 PM

12 posts, read 6,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
The portions of Regent Square proper all seem relatively similar to me.
When did Regent Square become part of Wilkinsburg?

Old 06-20-2018, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealie View Post
RTP, I can't do that question justice and the one person who could, squarian, bailed on CD some time ago. You'll get a lot of superficial blaming answers on this and you can safely ignore all of them except wpipkins.

It was more than the 1980s mills closing, I'm sure of that. I'd go back to the 1960s.
Correct, it started in the 60's. In the 70's people started to walk away from their homes and let the city have them. By the 80's haft of the city was empty.

Old 06-20-2018, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Wilkinsburg is in a unique place though locally. It's really the only place, outside of city limits, where a solidly upper-middle class area experienced massive white flight (mostly between 1970 and 1990). You can't really blame Wilkinsburg for not being able to leverage its legacy amenities more, IMHO, because it's always a hard sell trying to convince white people to move back into 70%-90% black neighborhoods, no matter what good or bad decisions local government makes.
White people will never move back to Wilkinsburg, ever. I lived in Wilkinsburg back in the late 40's and 50's.
Moved out in 1962. When I lived there it was 98%, white families. The when Pittsburgh started to tear down the hill district the blacks started to move in. Also, they (blacks) came from Homewood and Brushton. Taxes went up in the 60's and some of the white homeowners just walked away from their home. By the 70's there was a massive exodus from the city. In the 80's more blacks moved in many on welfare and housing assistance. Now today the city has about 90% of blacks living there. This is why whites will never move back to Wilkinsburg.
A lot of those houses that the whites walk away from in the 60's are still there vacant. The city is trying to sell (give away) to whites to rebuild them. The best (IMHO) is to tear down the city and rebuild it.
This was a beautiful city when I lived there. As the saying goes: " You can never go home again".
Well, I'm coming back to the Burgh this summer and will stop by to see the city I grew up in.

Old 06-20-2018, 09:33 PM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by dead dog View Post
White people will never move back to Wilkinsburg, ever.
I would agree with this unless Pittsburgh can take it over. Then it will become nice again. If it stays Wilkinsburg, it will never be nice. Taxes too high to fix up, so investors won't touch it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh