Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2016, 11:45 AM

439 posts, read 1,467,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
I am glad at this point we don't have an NBA team. No one cares about the Cav's around here at all. Most enjoy our college level basketball, which is another cash cow for colleges on top of the tuition of $100,000 for a 4 year degree. Enjoy! I do feel bad for our young folks that will only live to pay back banks for their entire lives. They will have debt their whole lives. Oh and enjoy!

You speak for all 2.7 million people in the Pittsburgh metro?

I would trade the pens for an NBA team in an instant.

I have turned down pens tickets many many times, it is so low scoring and boring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2016, 01:22 PM

41,018 posts, read 18,008,136 times
400 straight Pens sellouts says otherwise, although a lot of marketing has gone into that as confidence in the Pens isn't real high and to many it's Cup or bust.

If there was a market for an NBA team, there would be one.

Old 01-23-2016, 02:45 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,900,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post

If there was a market for an NBA team, there would be one.

A decade ago, they would have said that about Oklahoma City. The NBA clearly thinks Pittsburgh is a potential market. Just a couple years ago, then-commissioner David Stern named Pittsburgh (along with Vegas, Louisville, Mexico City and Virginia Beach) in a short list of potential expansion cities.

Old 01-23-2016, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
A decade ago, they would have said that about Oklahoma City. The NBA clearly thinks Pittsburgh is a potential market. Just a couple years ago, then-commissioner David Stern named Pittsburgh (along with Vegas, Louisville, Mexico City and Virginia Beach) in a short list of potential expansion cities.
Interesting. So who's going to own the team and when does the season begin?

Old 01-23-2016, 03:07 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,203,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Where would they play their games? Which governmental entity will build them an arena, and where will the arena be located.

The last time Pittsburgh had professional basketball, they just didn't draw very well. What has changed to make this such a great deal now?

Old 01-23-2016, 03:15 PM

This^^^^

It would be decades, if ever, before there would be a team.

Old 01-23-2016, 03:58 PM

271 posts, read 329,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
Where would they play their games? Which governmental entity will build them an arena, and where will the arena be located.

The last time Pittsburgh had professional basketball, they just didn't draw very well. What has changed to make this such a great deal now?
They would play at Consol. No new arena needed. There are a dozen shared arenas now between NHL and NBA teams.

And I would dispute that the drawing power of an ABA team 40 years ago has any relevance on whether a team would draw today. If you put an NBA team people would get excited for it and support it. Unlikely the NBA will expand though and there are no teams I am aware of looking to relocate.

Old 01-23-2016, 04:09 PM

Burgh sports fans don't even support an Arena football team enough to keep one for the second time.

I couldn't imagine anyone taking the risk of ownership of an NBA team here unless there was an option to move the team after it failed.

Old 01-23-2016, 05:05 PM

22,273 posts, read 47,206,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post

I would trade the pens for an NBA team in an instant.

I have turned down pens tickets many many times, it is so low scoring and boring.
Yes! Good that you turn down tickets and let true fans attend!

I was at the Pens-Canucks game today.
Low scoring and boring could not be used to describe today's action.

Some, myself included, think the NBA is boring.

Old 01-23-2016, 05:05 PM

271 posts, read 329,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Burgh sports fans don't even support an Arena football team enough to keep one for the second time.

I couldn't imagine anyone taking the risk of ownership of an NBA team here unless there was an option to move the team after it failed.
Minor league football and the best basketball league in the world are two separate things. You may not be able to print money like the NFL does but with the league's new $24 billion national tv deal, owning an NBA team is a lucrative enterprise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh