Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2016, 03:05 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,297,931 times

Advertisements

As much as I agree that one who shovels out a spot deserves to reserve it, the problem that it creates is;
I shovel out my car put a chair in place. Someone comes along and moves my chair and takes the spot. Now when I come down the street and my spot is taken my only option is do to what? Steal someone else's spot.?I really do not want to take someone else's spot but what are my options when someone stole mine and all other spots have chairs in place?
Only takes 1 jerk to set off a chain of fights. Talk about jerks just this morning I saw a spot with a chair in it and the guy in front of that spot started throwing his shoveled snow into that spot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2016, 03:06 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,967,398 times
Back in the day, I have run over the chair now and again. I do understand in winter when some old fart spent a lot of time shoveling, but that is in winter only. Other than winter, NO!

Old 01-26-2016, 03:09 PM

3,110 posts, read 2,916,613 times
I actually wrote a paper for my Ethics class in grad school on the issue. My conclusion is that the chair is part of the fabric of dense neighborhoods such as the South Side. Do you respect this tradition or not? Those who do not respect the chairs, and that lack of adherence to what may be an ridiculous and perhaps illegal practice, slowly pick at the seams of the neighborhood. This often happens with the influx of newcomers and renters to a neighborhood. They often don’t understand the tradition or do and don’t care, but this is how neighborhoods change. It might seem insignificant to most, but when combined with all other changes (which are inevitable and agreeably change needs to happen) the feel of the area changes. It loses some character, and charm over time. I don’t remember if I concluded that it was truly unethical or wrong to move one, but people tend to gloss over the simple and innocent traditions that they don’t like or understand. I am esp surprised that SCR does not love this aspect of Pgh. It is one of our finest quirks and is disappearing along with $40k houses and that blue collar grit that he loves so much.

I don’t really care about the tradition all that much (although I would NEVER move one to park), but it is just another thing that will someday be completely gone from the area. People lament the loss of old buildings, closing of restaurants and churches, and I put this in the same category.

Old 01-26-2016, 03:11 PM

3,110 posts, read 2,916,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
As much as I agree that one who shovels out a spot deserves to reserve it, the problem that it creates is;
I shovel out my car put a chair in place. Someone comes along and moves my chair and takes the spot. Now when I come down the street and my spot is taken my only option is do to what? Steal someone else's spot.?I really do not want to take someone else's spot but what are my options when someone stole mine and all other spots have chairs in place?
Only takes 1 jerk to set off a chain of fights. Talk about jerks just this morning I saw a spot with a chair in it and the guy in front of that spot started throwing his shoveled snow into that spot.
I would probably feel compelled to steal a spot, then go shovel out another, and then move my car. The best option is for everyone in the community to just shovel out ALL the spots, and then the problem is solved.

Old 01-26-2016, 03:19 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,959,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
I would probably feel compelled to steal a spot, then go shovel out another, and then move my car. The best option is for everyone in the community to just shovel out ALL the spots, and then the problem is solved.
It's impossible to steal the spot because it never belonged to anyone. The labor one puts into freeing their car from the snow entitles them to move their car away from the curb, and nothing more.

Old 01-26-2016, 03:20 PM

3,062 posts, read 7,032,384 times
If you really want to guard your space you need a second car.

Old 01-26-2016, 03:28 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,198,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merge View Post
I don't put out a chair, and neither do the folks on my block. But you are pretty naive if you think there will be no consequences if you decide to move one. It's just not a good idea, especially if you don't know the people in the neighborhood. SCR can get away with it because he's in-and-out. But if you are going to stay for a bit you should expect ramifications, even if unjustified.
Consequences and ramifications for moving a parking chair? Sounds like a neighborhood to stay away from to begin with.

Old 01-26-2016, 03:30 PM

2,218 posts, read 1,944,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles22 View Post
If you really want to guard your space you need a second car.
The most American answer of all!!

Old 01-26-2016, 03:35 PM

3,595 posts, read 3,391,024 times
I would not feel too good with myself for parking in an elderly persons spot. I am going to assume most parking chairs are put out by an older demographic.

Old 01-26-2016, 03:38 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,588,609 times
Meh.

If I see a chair I respect the chair. I don't personally use a parking chair but then I have off street parking so not really necessary.

It is part of the culture of Pittsburgh. If you don't like the culture, don't live here. Or at least have some respect even if you do think it's silly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh