Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2016, 11:30 AM

28 posts, read 22,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pughnose View Post
As far as another location possibility, it's pretty obvious that the Inclines don't *always* stop at the foot of the slope. Legend has it that they both connect to different points in the vast closed coal mine complex riddling Mt. Washington, but rumors of dead miners who serve as ghostly guardians are enough to keep out even those clever enough to ride the cars all the way down....

For verisimilitude, see maps linked here Municipality Mining Maps for the very many undermined parts of the region. I think "Pittsburgh District 2" would cover the Inclines.
OK, this is AWESOME and new to me.

Thank you, thank you, thank you,

CM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2016, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pughnose View Post
If you're still wondering about the ice rink (sorry about the delay)
Oh, and thanks for the ice rink information. Not sure why I couldn't find it.

Alright, its an overcast afternoon in Western PA. A great time to get writing!

I'm very grateful for everyone's help, and it's fun to build some connections on city-data. I'm sure I'll be back with more questions.

Be well,

CM

Old 03-19-2016, 09:52 PM

4,539 posts, read 12,404,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Raymond View Post
Lovers of the Steel City,

I have one that is confounding me a bit. There is a scene where one of our heroes goes to confront an aging criminal (pseudo mob boss). His dealings made him very wealthy, but now he is late in age and alone with his thoughts (and maybe regrets).

So, he lives alone in an old mansion. Where is it?
Take my suggestion with a ginormous grain of salt, because I only know Pittsburgh from the endless number of houses I've seen for sale online - but I was thinking the Old Mob Boss might live near the top of Observatory Hill. It would provide a remote and fortified castle keep feeling to his location. Also, it would be more difficult to approach his home unobserved, if that was a needed story point. And to add irony, (and a hint of corruption) Judges Row is up there somewhere.

Old 03-20-2016, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
Take my suggestion with a ginormous grain of salt, because I only know Pittsburgh from the endless number of houses I've seen for sale online - but I was thinking the Old Mob Boss might live near the top of Observatory Hill. It would provide a remote and fortified castle keep feeling to his location. Also, it would be more difficult to approach his home unobserved, if that was a needed story point. And to add irony, (and a hint of corruption) Judges Row is up there somewhere.
No salt necessary.

I love the idea.

Old 03-20-2016, 09:24 AM

807 posts, read 617,338 times
Looks like you are going in a different direction, but wanted to correct my previous assertion that a mob boss's home might be "gaudy" -- in fact, an article from 1969 describes the Don's home as a "[l]arge stone home on a well-landscaped lot on Ingomar Road in McCandless Twp."

So, perhaps this home does not suit your needs, but I encourage you to plagiarize the description of the Capo from the '69 article:

"silver-haired, casually-groomed and quietly business-like"

Old 03-21-2016, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doowlle34 View Post
Looks like you are going in a different direction, but wanted to correct my previous assertion that a mob boss's home might be "gaudy" -- in fact, an article from 1969 describes the Don's home as a "[l]arge stone home on a well-landscaped lot on Ingomar Road in McCandless Twp."

So, perhaps this home does not suit your needs, but I encourage you to plagiarize the description of the Capo from the '69 article:

"silver-haired, casually-groomed and quietly business-like"
Yeah, I think we want to keep him in the city.

As far as accuracy goes, I do believe your suggestion is most true to life.

And... that is a great line of description.

Thanks for pitching in, Doowlle34.

Old 04-17-2016, 06:45 PM

We're getting d@mn close to the release of Book 1 of Steel City Heroes (The Catalyst). I wanted to check in and say thanks to all who have contributed. Your suggestions have been huge, particularly in terms of location scouting! We're working on outlines for future installations and I have a question. Besides fracking, what is a political/ideological issue you think we could engage in a future book?

Also, thought I would drop the book cover for The Catalyst. I think it is brilliant. Our designer is a real yinzer-jagoff:

Old 04-17-2016, 07:49 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,882,782 times
Quote:
We're getting d@mn close to the release of Book 1 of Steel City Heroes (The Catalyst). I wanted to check in and say thanks to all who have contributed. Your suggestions have been huge, particularly in terms of location scouting! We're working on outlines for future installations and I have a question. Besides fracking, what is a political/ideological issue you think we could engage in a future book?

Also, thought I would drop the book cover for The Catalyst. I think it is brilliant. Our designer is a real yinzer-jagoff:
Very cool cover

I might suggest generic or at least not super local political/ideological issues to cover as no matter what you do, you'll probably end up ticking off about 50% of your potential local audience/ customers if you get into contentious local issues.

Did you attend PIX btw? PIX: The Pittsburgh Indy Comix Expo

Old 04-18-2016, 06:18 AM

2,218 posts, read 1,945,508 times
Quote:

The threat to society that is suburban sprawl.

Old 04-18-2016, 09:38 AM

598 posts, read 748,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merge View Post
The threat to society that is suburban sprawl.
Yes. And I could be a villain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh