Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 01:47 PM

675 posts, read 2,089,028 times

Advertisements

Everyone knows of Mt. Washington's overlooks and the panoramic vistas they afford, but I wanted to compile a list of all of the spots in Pittsburgh where one can admire the beauty of the city's magnificent skyline. So far, I have 10 great places to take in the view, but I'd like to tap everyone's knowledge to get maybe a couple more, and to share with everyone what I have found so far.

I've put together a little map of all of the viewpoints I know of. If anyone gives me any more, I will add them to the list (and the map)

Here is the current list:

- Mt. Washington's Grandview Ave.
- Grandview Park Overlook
- West End Overlook
- St. Paul's Monestary parking lot (Southside)
- Fineview Overlook
- St. John's Lutheran Cemetary (Spring Hill)
- Crawford Ave. above the Civic Arena
- North Shore Riverfront Park
- Schenley Park Overlook
- End of Forrester St. (Greenfield)

I hope to add pictures from all of these views in time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2008, 03:03 PM

2,039 posts, read 6,304,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallacus View Post
Everyone knows of Mt. Washington's overlooks and the panoramic vistas they afford, but I wanted to compile a list of all of the spots in Pittsburgh where one can admire the beauty of the city's magnificent skyline. So far, I have 10 great places to take in the view, but I'd like to tap everyone's knowledge to get maybe a couple more, and to share with everyone what I have found so far.

I've put together a little map of all of the viewpoints I know of. If anyone gives me any more, I will add them to the list (and the map)

Here is the current list:

- Mt. Washington's Grandview Ave.
- Grandview Park Overlook
- West End Overlook
- St. Paul's Monestary parking lot (Southside)
- Fineview Overlook
- St. John's Lutheran Cemetary (Spring Hill)
- Crawford Ave. above the Civic Arena
- North Shore Riverfront Park
- Schenley Park Overlook
- End of Forrester St. (Greenfield)

I hope to add pictures from all of these views in time.

FORT PITT TUNNEL!!!!

Old 02-07-2008, 03:35 PM

439 posts, read 1,467,466 times
I like the view from the top of the Cathedral of Learning.

Also there is a business park out in Crafton right off of 79 that has a nice view from a hill

Coming in from 279 North is a nice view.

West end bridge has a nice view and so does 51 south coming from Mckee's rocks.

Old 02-07-2008, 03:37 PM

Yeah, the Fort Pitt Bridge is a killer view, but I'm looking more for spots you might be able to sit down, relax, and have a sandwich or something. I was trying to avoid bridges altogether since they all seem to have pretty awesome views.

Does anyone know if you can see the skyline from Herron Hill Park?

Old 02-07-2008, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post
Also there is a business park out in Crafton right off of 79 that has a nice view from a hill
Is the business park right off Steubenville Pike? I'll have to check that out...

Old 02-07-2008, 03:42 PM

3,733 posts, read 5,931,019 times
I think you can see the skyline from Herron Hill Park. Lots of people go there to see the fireworks at the Point.

There's also a cemetery up beyond Troy Hill that has fantastic views of downtown. Couldn't even tell you how to get there. We were out exploring once and just kept turning up streets that went uphill and ended up there.

Old 02-07-2008, 03:43 PM

I've also wondered if there were any views from Fox Chapel area, right near 28 maybe, on top of that hill?

Old 02-07-2008, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeo View Post
I think you can see the skyline from Herron Hill Park. Lots of people go there to see the fireworks at the Point.

There's also a cemetery up beyond Troy Hill that has fantastic views of downtown. Couldn't even tell you how to get there. We were out exploring once and just kept turning up streets that went uphill and ended up there.
Excellent... I'll have to go check our Herron Hill Park too.

The cemetary you speak of is the St. John's Lutheran Cemetary, I've got that on my list. Great view.
EDIT: I just looked on a map, and there is another cemetary on Troy Hill too... possibly there is yet another view over there. I'll check that out too.

As you can see, I'm a little view crazy.

Old 02-07-2008, 09:18 PM

134 posts, read 561,144 times
How about the shopping center in Kennedy Township, the one with Giant Eagle near Ohio Valley Hospital.

Old 02-08-2008, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister brewski View Post
How about the shopping center in Kennedy Township, the one with Giant Eagle near Ohio Valley Hospital.
Never been there, but I added it to my list of places to check. Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh