Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 05:10 AM

831 posts, read 878,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Show me a reliable 2006 or newer model year car for $1,000.
I don't know why the caveat of 2006 or newer, but if you're looking for an inexpensive reliable car, they're all over craigslist.

Here's a 2002 Chevy Malibu with only 38k miles, inspected until next year for $3,000.

02 Chevy Malibu (only 38000 miles)

If you need a loan for it, then you can get a 36 month one for $3,000 for $94/month.

https://www.wellsfargo.com/personal-...lator-results/

I did that with about 5 minutes of work. I imagine with a little more work one could find even better deals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2016, 05:50 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,955,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tclifton View Post
I don't know why the caveat of 2006 or newer, but if you're looking for an inexpensive reliable car, they're all over craigslist.

Here's a 2002 Chevy Malibu with only 38k miles, inspected until next year for $3,000.

02 Chevy Malibu (only 38000 miles)

If you need a loan for it, then you can get a 36 month one for $3,000 for $94/month.

https://www.wellsfargo.com/personal-...lator-results/

I did that with about 5 minutes of work. I imagine with a little more work one could find even better deals.
You picked a 14 year old car that has been totaled, given a salvage title, repaired and given rebuilt title. That car is a problem waiting to happen. Also 14 years old. The low mileage may be due to the fact that it sat in a junkyard for the better part of a decade. This could be a Katrina car, for all we know.

Old 02-15-2016, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
You picked a 14 year old car that has been totaled, given a salvage title, repaired and given rebuilt title. That car is a problem waiting to happen. Also 14 years old. The low mileage may be due to the fact that it sat in a junkyard for the better part of a decade. This could be a Katrina car, for all we know.
Ok...I realize I'm not going to change anybody's mind. It ultimately doesn't matter to me if someone wastes their money, as it's their money. I just wanted to be at least one voice of reason that says you don't have to buy brand new cars all the time. In my opinion that buries you in car payments forever, and that's no way to get ahead financially. That sentiment is even more strong with regards to using a car as a delivery vehicle.

But hey, do whatever you want....as I said it's not my money, so whatever peanut butters your bread.....

Old 02-15-2016, 07:13 AM

1,577 posts, read 1,282,151 times
Quote:
Ok...I realize I'm not going to change anybody's mind. It ultimately doesn't matter to me if someone wastes their money, as it's their money. I just wanted to be at least one voice of reason that says you don't have to buy brand new cars all the time. In my opinion that buries you in car payments forever, and that's no way to get ahead financially. That sentiment is even more strong with regards to using a car as a delivery vehicle.

But hey, do whatever you want....as I said it's not my money, so whatever peanut butters your bread.....
haha there is a happy medium between the two examples presented. some people just like to justify their financial decisions. the monthly payment was one of the advertising industries biggest successes.

Old 02-15-2016, 11:13 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,120,375 times
Quote:
I was referring specifically to SCR, and he works for Postmates (though they may have a similar requirement, I'm not sure). Still....10 year old car is far far cheaper and can be just as reliable as a brand new, financed car.
And how long are you going to use it? As soon as it turns 10, you have to buy a new car.

Old 02-15-2016, 11:17 AM

41,018 posts, read 18,189,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
And how long are you going to use it? As soon as it turns 10, you have to buy a new car.
You were referring to Uber, not Postmates.

Buy a car 7 years old and use it for 3. The overall point is that you don't need a new vehicle to use as a delivery vehicle...and that it's not cost effective to do so.

Old 02-15-2016, 12:31 PM

Uber actually requires 2010 model year or newer.

Old 02-15-2016, 12:38 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Well, steering this thread back on track, do you think the rising popularity of Sen. Bernie Sanders, who runs primarily on a platform of socioeconomic equity, has provided more legitimacy now to labor strikes in this country? I say this because the "Occupy" movement several years ago was also an attack on the growing inequality of wealth in this country, yet nearly everyone ignored and/or mocked them at the time, even though Bernie has pretty much channeled their energy into the shape of a 74-year-old man. Would an UBER strike garner more social support now than it would have during the "Occupy" time period? Would a company like UBER be more responsive to the desires of its quasi-employees if public sentiment at-large is indeed shifting away from employers and back towards working-class stiffs?

Old 02-15-2016, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Well, steering this thread back on track, do you think the rising popularity of Sen. Bernie Sanders, who runs primarily on a platform of socioeconomic equity, has provided more legitimacy now to labor strikes in this country? I say this because the "Occupy" movement several years ago was also an attack on the growing inequality of wealth in this country, yet nearly everyone ignored and/or mocked them at the time, even though Bernie has pretty much channeled their energy into the shape of a 74-year-old man. Would an UBER strike garner more social support now than it would have during the "Occupy" time period? Would a company like UBER be more responsive to the desires of its quasi-employees if public sentiment at-large is indeed shifting away from employers and back towards working-class stiffs?
I think we'll know better come November.

Also, I'm just curious; from what I've read I've always thought you were more economically right-leaning. Have you changed your views, or was I under a false assumption?

Old 02-15-2016, 01:13 PM

Quote:
I think we'll know better come November.

Also, I'm just curious; from what I've read I've always thought you were more economically right-leaning. Have you changed your views, or was I under a false assumption?
He's a lefty who doesn't like black people. That's why you remember him as being conservative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh