Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 10:54 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,960,223 times

Advertisements

Downtown isn't dead at night. Some of the city's most popular restaurants (many of which double as bars) are downtown. To answer your question, I'd suggest East Liberty. There's a lot of new condo construction, and it's extremely walkable with the added benefit of easy access to the East Busway and Shadyside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2016, 11:23 AM

1,577 posts, read 1,282,749 times
What industry is your company in that pays young employees so well? Will also be useful to where you want to live as well. Tech would be in east end. Financial around downtown.

Old 02-12-2016, 11:42 AM

994 posts, read 900,926 times
Since you aren't a hipster, I would not consider Lawrenceville. Although that neighborhood is becoming less "hipster" with each passing year.

Since you are in your early 30s, I would not consider Southside. More of a younger folks and native Pittsburgh presence there.

Downtown is not nearly as 'dead' as it used to be, but I'm guessing you are coming from a big city with an actual vibrant downtown, so I would eliminate downtown Pittsburgh.

I think what you want is to be found in the Shadyside and Eastside (aka East Liberty) areas.

If you won't arrive until the fall, then check out www.eastsidebond.com. I'm guessing it is exactly what you are looking for.

Another possibility is www.bakeryliving.com.

Some places in and around Shadyside that might fit the bill as well.

If it were me, I would purchase a place with the same features you are looking for and in 3 years time you would have not spent over $100,000 in rent, but instead paying off the principle of a home.

Old 02-12-2016, 12:33 PM

3,595 posts, read 3,391,589 times
I must be turning into my dad, $4,000 a month in rent. Are you insane?

Old 02-12-2016, 12:35 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,881,186 times
Personally I would visit for a weekend or two, grab a hotel & check out all of the different neighborhoods mentioned as they're each appealing in their own different ways. I'm in your age group & personally dislike the shadyside/east side nightlife but that doesn't make me right by any means as others obviously disagree. Different strokes & all that.
Better than committing to a lease before knowing yourself.

I noticed you're coming from Dallas - i'd say you'll find very little in common here to areas there.

Old 02-12-2016, 12:52 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
We are in our late-20's and love living within walking distance of the Strip District; however, outside of a few restaurants and a decent gay bar there's not much in the way of nightlife. On the rare occasion we want to "go out" we typically hit up the aforementioned East Liberty and Shadyside.

I would most certainly recommend EastSide Bond; Bakery Square; or maybe the Walnut on Highland since you mentioned a preference for a "high-rise" (and that one has great views of a massive old church across the street). Driving into Downtown is a breeze via Baum Boulevard to Bigelow Boulevard, but given it can be a royal pain to get OUT of Downtown at rush-hour I'd suggest the East Busway.

Old 02-12-2016, 12:53 PM

84 posts, read 208,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lettert View Post
What industry is your company in that pays young employees so well? Will also be useful to where you want to live as well. Tech would be in east end. Financial around downtown.
I work in Advertising. And that's the issue is I just don't know where to live. All these suggestions have helped narrow it down though. My business is in the Golden Triangle or CBD. Whatever the preferred nomenclature is

Old 02-12-2016, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainDewGuy View Post
Since you aren't a hipster, I would not consider Lawrenceville. Although that neighborhood is becoming less "hipster" with each passing year.

Since you are in your early 30s, I would not consider Southside. More of a younger folks and native Pittsburgh presence there.

Downtown is not nearly as 'dead' as it used to be, but I'm guessing you are coming from a big city with an actual vibrant downtown, so I would eliminate downtown Pittsburgh.

I think what you want is to be found in the Shadyside and Eastside (aka East Liberty) areas.

If you won't arrive until the fall, then check out Shadyside East Liberty Pittsburgh Apartments. I'm guessing it is exactly what you are looking for.

Another possibility is Pittsburgh Apartments at Bakery Square | 412-683-3810.

Some places in and around Shadyside that might fit the bill as well.

If it were me, I would purchase a place with the same features you are looking for and in 3 years time you would have not spent over $100,000 in rent, but instead paying off the principle of a home.
Thanks man. Yeah I'm coming from Dallas where our Downtown is really large but surprisingly pretty dead (minus the few pockets of activity at night).

I understand the advice of buying vs renting but honestly I don't think I'll be in Pittsburgh long enough to make that a viable option. Renting just suits me better right now.

Old 02-12-2016, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy2073 View Post
I must be turning into my dad, $4,000 a month in rent. Are you insane?
Haha well that is my "upper" limit if I fell in love with a place. I never go above the 30% rule. Ideally I'd be much lower.

Old 02-12-2016, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
Personally I would visit for a weekend or two, grab a hotel & check out all of the different neighborhoods mentioned as they're each appealing in their own different ways. I'm in your age group & personally dislike the shadyside/east side nightlife but that doesn't make me right by any means as others obviously disagree. Different strokes & all that.
Better than committing to a lease before knowing yourself.

I noticed you're coming from Dallas - i'd say you'll find very little in common here to areas there.
That's my fear. While Dallas is far from perfect I do enjoy a lot of the things it offers. There is really something for everyone here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh