Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2016, 10:47 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,200,791 times

Advertisements

What atlbraves49 said...and according to the aspca, 37-47% of households have a dog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2016, 10:58 AM

3,595 posts, read 3,391,589 times
I would never allow a dog in my rentals, why should I. I have nice places that I can pick and choose my tenants. One of the worst smells to me is going into a home and smelling a dog.

Old 02-26-2016, 11:04 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,542,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy2073 View Post
I would never allow a dog in my rentals, why should I. I have nice places that I can pick and choose my tenants. One of the worst smells to me is going into a home and smelling a dog.
There's the answer. The rental market is so tight, owners don't have to.

Old 02-26-2016, 11:11 AM

2,218 posts, read 1,945,279 times
You seemed confused as to why landlords didn't want to rent to dog-owners, and I responded with some reasons why that might be. These reasons are pretty commonly cited. I wasn't looking for a point-by-point refutation.

Anyway... you seem to overuse the word "rare" and interject it as if you were actually proposing facts. Your perception of potential damages as "rare" doesn't hold any weight as it is purely subjective. Here's one example:

You called dog bites "incredibly rare" and insinuate that I am a dupe of the media. It's actually pretty ridiculous for you to make such an assumption. My concern with dog bites is based upon two factors: 1. Personal experience. 2. Facts.

To wit:

"Each year, more than 350,000 dog bite victims are seen in emergency rooms, and approximately 850,000 victims receive medical attention. Data that the CDC collected in the USA between 2001 and 2003 indicated there were 4.5 million dog bite victims per year, but that figure appears to be rising."

Dog Bite Statistics

Regardless of how "rare" you consider such dangers, I don't think a landlord who faces liability in such instances would agree.

The one place you do cite an actual statistic is with pet allergies. But you didn't source your contention. After a 30-second internet search, I found this site (Allergic to Your Pet? Learn about Dog and Cat Allergies), which says that 3 in 10 people are allergic to household pets. It does say that 2X as many are allergic to cats, but my mathematical computation suggests that would result in 10% of the population being allergic to dogs. Why would a landlord want to eliminate 10% of his prospective clients? That makes no economic sense.

You also guesstimated that "Maybe 1% of them do lol " chew things and cause damage. What are you basing that on?

You tell me that dogs are as smelly/dirty as some people. So what? That's no reason not to exclude dogs. And people are more annoying and loud than dogs? Again... your biased perception. It suggests you are flat out "anti-people". Unfortunately for your position it is a lot easier (and more legal) to discriminate against dogs, rather than people.

Finally, you repeatedly mention nonrefundable pet deposits as a source of extra income for landlords. Maybe they simply don't want to deal with the hassles of cleaning up after your pet afterwards. Or maybe they don't want to get into arguments about further damages. Why deal with that kind of hassle when it is a renter's market, which the Pittsburgh region is? If landlords en masse had any difficulty finding quality non-dog-owner tenants, then you wouldn't be having the difficulty that you are experiencing.

Old 02-26-2016, 11:22 AM

154 posts, read 179,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
There's the answer. The rental market is so tight, owners don't have to.
That actually might explain it. Pittsburgh's rental economy must be a lot different. Lots of rental options in other cities so landlords lose a lot of potential customers when they refuse pets. Must not be the case in Pittsburgh.

Old 02-26-2016, 01:22 PM

3,291 posts, read 2,771,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlbraves49 View Post
That actually might explain it. Pittsburgh's rental economy must be a lot different. Lots of rental options in other cities so landlords lose a lot of potential customers when they refuse pets. Must not be the case in Pittsburgh.
Also, there are still a lot of lower cost houses available to buy in the Pgh area, due to housing age and other factors, so there are probably a lot fewer dog owners who are forced to rent because they can't buy here.

Old 02-26-2016, 04:06 PM

7,420 posts, read 2,708,622 times
Quote:
Cat smells are equivalent, IMHO. Not turning this into a pet hating post;I happen to think dogs and cats can be adorable...but I agree with the list previously posted and lets face it dogs will be dogs and cats will be cats. High maintenance creatures.

Old 02-27-2016, 07:02 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,257,754 times
Quote:
One of the worst smells to me is going into a home and smelling a dog.

This is still America, if you don't enjoy the smell of a dog, or a cat, or even a fine cigar, you don't have to let it go on in your private private property.

Old 02-27-2016, 07:37 AM

3,595 posts, read 3,391,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
This is still America, if you don't enjoy the smell of a dog, or a cat, or even a fine cigar, you don't have to let it go on in your private private property.
This is not a hating dog thread, I own rentals and I was letting the op know why I don't allow pets.

Old 02-29-2016, 03:40 PM

7,420 posts, read 2,708,622 times
I was wondering if OP had a successful visit on his apartment/house hunting trip this past week-end? I hope he had an opportunity to see Regent Square because I thought that was a solid recommendation by RogersParkTransplant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh