Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2016, 07:24 AM

2,401 posts, read 2,100,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
You HAVE to go to school, you don't HAVE to go to that mall parking lot. You can't compare the two. Sure the kids saw the movie "The Wonderers" and wanted to emulate it, but it isn't the same thing at all. In other words, a school setting isn't a choice for kids and schools should be safe. They have no choice but to attend. The mall was a choice. Lets stop pretending here. It really amazes me the length people will go to avoid reality. On top of all this, it isn't the schools fault. This is all a parenting issue. Just like what it happening at Penn Hills. Look what happened when Edgewood was forced to merge. This stuff has been like this for generations and people still want to pretend?

This isn't some racial thing either. You can't categorize an entire race as one type of person. People love to try and do that, but it isn't reality. Tons of people with all kinds of racial profiles are successful and some not so much. People love to pigeonhole things for simplicity sake. I have already been called racist in a way on this thread. That is simple and easy. "Oh he is just racist", so there is nothing to think about. Yep, that is easy. Why think? It isn't racial, it is a product of an environment issue. I have said time and time again, people in these environments need mentors and open gyms. They need a place to go and feel good and have adults tell them they can and are good. This takes time, but it wouldn't be that expensive. The gyms are already there at the schools. They just need some people and turn the lights on. I was very lucky to have a gym to go to every night of the week. It was great! Why shouldn't these kids in the tough environments have that too? The buildings are there and taxpayers are paying for them. USE THEM! There are a ton of Social Workers grossly underpaid! How much would it take to hire some to help these neighborhoods? Does anyone know how much a Social Worker makes on average in our region? Pennies! Now stop thinking about "race" and think about the issues.
Oh, believe me, there were plenty of fights I witnessed (and participated in) in the 4 short years I went to that school. But they were mostly one on one. I agree there is a difference between the mall fight and the in-school experience but I wanted to point out that groups of teen aged kids have been getting into large fights forever. Did you mean the "Warriors"? There was another time when a small carload of skin heads showed up to pick up one of their ladies (after school pick up) and got into a verbal argument with somebody in the school parking lot. The car was trashed, windows broken, mirrors torn off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2016, 07:36 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcider View Post
Oh, believe me, there were plenty of fights I witnessed (and participated in) in the 4 short years I went to that school. But they were mostly one on one. I agree there is a difference between the mall fight and the in-school experience but I wanted to point out that groups of teen aged kids have been getting into large fights forever. Did you mean the "Warriors"? There was another time when a small carload of skin heads showed up to pick up one of their ladies (after school pick up) and got into a verbal argument with somebody in the school parking lot. The car was trashed, windows broken, mirrors torn off.
There will always be some fights, but if you can get 30 kids fighting, that is another issue. Talk about friction. How are kids going to study and focus on schoolwork if there is all that friction in a school? I can't imagine going through school in a survival mode all the time. Stressful!

No the Wonderers had the Baldies and the Ducky Boys. Then there was the movie/book "The Outsiders". I guess the gang stuff was flying around Hollywood at the time. It did have an effect on impressionable young minds, but Hollywood has a bad effect on everyone for the most part.

Old 03-03-2016, 08:27 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
There will always be some fights, but if you can get 30 kids fighting, that is another issue. Talk about friction. How are kids going to study and focus on schoolwork if there is all that friction in a school? I can't imagine going through school in a survival mode all the time. Stressful!

No the Wonderers had the Baldies and the Ducky Boys. Then there was the movie/book "The Outsiders". I guess the gang stuff was flying around Hollywood at the time. It did have an effect on impressionable young minds, but Hollywood has a bad effect on everyone for the most part.
Doesn't take much to rile a group of people up these days with social media.

Old 03-03-2016, 08:47 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,955,059 times
Quote:
You HAVE to go to school, you don't HAVE to go to that mall parking lot. You can't compare the two. Sure the kids saw the movie "The Wonderers" and wanted to emulate it, but it isn't the same thing at all. In other words, a school setting isn't a choice for kids and schools should be safe. They have no choice but to attend. The mall was a choice. Lets stop pretending here. It really amazes me the length people will go to avoid reality. On top of all this, it isn't the schools fault. This is all a parenting issue. Just like what it happening at Penn Hills. Look what happened when Edgewood was forced to merge. This stuff has been like this for generations and people still want to pretend?

This isn't some racial thing either. You can't categorize an entire race as one type of person. People love to try and do that, but it isn't reality. Tons of people with all kinds of racial profiles are successful and some not so much. People love to pigeonhole things for simplicity sake. I have already been called racist in a way on this thread. That is simple and easy. "Oh he is just racist", so there is nothing to think about. Yep, that is easy. Why think? It isn't racial, it is a product of an environment issue. I have said time and time again, people in these environments need mentors and open gyms. They need a place to go and feel good and have adults tell them they can and are good. This takes time, but it wouldn't be that expensive. The gyms are already there at the schools. They just need some people and turn the lights on. I was very lucky to have a gym to go to every night of the week. It was great! Why shouldn't these kids in the tough environments have that too? The buildings are there and taxpayers are paying for them. USE THEM! There are a ton of Social Workers grossly underpaid! How much would it take to hire some to help these neighborhoods? Does anyone know how much a Social Worker makes on average in our region? Pennies! Now stop thinking about "race" and think about the issues.
You, sir or ma'am, are the worst kind of racist: you're a coward. You blow the racial dog whistle every chance you can get yet you were free to own your own bigotry in the light of day. It's never about race with you, except it always is.

Old 03-03-2016, 08:58 AM

7,420 posts, read 2,707,025 times
Here is to hoping that the school's administration, the teachers and the parents of the involved and the uninvolved students can find a way to settle the current issue and determine a way to make this a positive learning experience that instills or awakens or reinforces the necessary character traits that will enable the teen-agers to move forward on a path to becoming productive future young adults. Learning how to progress and accept consequences for mistakes without being thrown away by those that are in roles to teach and lead is most important at times like this, in any group or school setting. I for one want to wish the school, the teachers, students and parents well.

Old 03-03-2016, 09:26 AM

4,177 posts, read 2,954,652 times
Hill District clergy, community outraged over school brawl at University Prep | New Pittsburgh Courier

Old 03-03-2016, 09:34 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Doesn't take much to rile a group of people up these days with social media.
True. Things are sure amped up to the point people can't actually think straight. I am the only one that proposed a real solution, but people are too busy only looking at "race". This isn't about race, it is about being in a bad environment, which feeds on itself. How do you fix it? Wait for it......, CREATE a different environment!

People will now start blaming the school district and anything other than the real issue. Why? The real issues is too hard to deal with. It takes too long to address. There is no one wanting to create it. Yep, then lets just label it "racist" if someone suggests a resolve. That is so much easier.

If this was only about race, you would have to categorize an entire race as one. How can you do that? You can somehow categorize President Obama and a member of the Cripps as one? I guess I don't get it.

Oh well. I don't know what else I could say. So much anger and hatred in the web and things are wildly amped up. Easy to just label and move on. Guess it is called giving up.

Old 03-03-2016, 09:39 AM
gg

BOOM and there you have it! It is the school system's fault. Problem solved. Next.

Old 03-03-2016, 10:23 AM
gg

Lets have a look at what wpipkins link discusses. Maybe we could actually learn something?

She said it is the responsibility of the adults in school district to ensure that children are not placed “in an environment where their only resource is their fists.”

Seems she is shifting blame from parenting to teachers/administrators at the school to me. Anyway, what can you do about this? Kids have to go to a school somewhere. Lets say you try and merge with another city school building to alleviate the stress. What would happen? Parents who are passionate about their child's education will flee that part of the district and find another one. People act like this is simple. People love to just throw out "race" and make it all about that. It isn't really about that, it is about environment in the communities and has very little to do with the school district.

She also said that the school system is set up for the children to be unsuccessful, and demanded that University Prep be the top priority in all of Pittsburgh.

Really? 90+% of any child's education starts at home. Here is a good read to explain a few things better.

Academic Success Begins at Home: How Children Can Succeed in School

I think we need to stop blaming the school district and actually look at the real issues.

Old 03-03-2016, 11:22 AM

1,901 posts, read 4,377,333 times
This is not good. The Hill is still the focal point of black Pittsburgh. East Liberty is no longer in the mix; while Homewood, Garfield & other places in Zone 5-Wilkinsburg and the North Side have too many neighborhood rivals. Meanwhile, Penn Hills is a mix of all of the above.

There's no longer a united Hill District to being with. I've said it several times on the forum during the Wilkinsburg vs Westinghouse thread & the ones on summer violence. But a feud that started in the Hill District (Zone 2) is spreading through Zones 1-6, Wilkinsburg... and the Stowe Rocks area, Mon Valley & Eastern Suburbs are next.

This Garfield versus the Hill District beef (along with other feuding going on in the City/Mt. Oliver/Wilkinsburg) is **** on the graves to all those guys during the 90's who died in feuds with the Crip & LAWs.
Garfield-Garfield Heights, Addison Terrace/De Ruad St, Allequppia Terrace/Bedford Dwellings at one point all got along. They used to play each other's underground music and even co-exist peacefully at parties together in 'rent-outs' and nightclubs. Back in the 90's Blood gangs that established turf in AGH County stuck together at 440 Ross St County Jail. Garfield-East Hills-McKeesport-Hill District-East Ct (Fairywood) was the pact. East Hills kids went to school at Schenley after PPS moved them out of Westinghouse dominated by Homewood & Lincoln.

Now Addison Terrace/De Ruad St Bloods are linked up with: 44 Gang-'Smashgang'Darccide Crips (Mt. Oliver, Knoxville, etc), UpTown Northview Heights Crips, UpTop North Charles Street/Down Bottom (Allegheny Dwellings) Hound Crips. Parts of Middle/Lower Hill/Moultire St West Oakland, Greenway Park Apartments, Allegheny Commons East, Cali-Kirk, Hoodtown, part of Marshall-Shadeland, Arlington & 3100 Arlington Heights are in to a lesser extent. East Sheraden, Glen Hazel, Homestead, Garfield, parts of Larimer, Homewood North & Upper Lincoln might join the frey here too.

Allequippa Terrace parts of Bedford-Webster Avenue & Bedford Dwellings are linked up with 1000 Brushton Avenue Homewood which is linked up with Wilkinsburg- north of Penn Avenue & the East Hills Projects (who all used to feud). Additionally, they're linked up with Manchester & part of Perry Hilltop who beefs with the North Side Crips. Places such as: Hazelwood, Beltzoover, Allentown, parts of northern Knoxville, Western Sheraden-Elliott-Fairywood, Island Avenue area of McKees Rocks, part of Marshall-Shadeland and most of Lower Hill/Oakhill-West Oakland/Middle Hill/Sugar Top are in the group as well. Western Wilkinsburg, Larimer, Lower Lincoln, Homewood South might get sucked into this group... which would be bad.

Last edited by Uptown kid; 03-03-2016 at 11:34 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh