Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2016, 11:20 PM

486 posts, read 601,842 times

Advertisements

Just wanted to get some honest, unbiased feedback on what people from Pittsburgh think of their little brother to the north, Erie.

I first want to say that having many family members who live in Pittsburgh, I absolutely adore the city and love how it's developed over the years. Whenever my cousins would come up to Erie for a visit, they would always remark how boring it was or how little it seemed.

That was probably 10 years ago.

These days I work as a front desk agent at a local Erie hotel and I can't begin to tell you how many people we get from Pittsburgh and other nearby cities. During the summer it seems there are so many Pittsburghers who take mini-vacations to Erie. I remember this guy saying that he used to think Erie was a boring place but he remarked how beautiful the bayfront was and how (relatively) lively the downtown was compared to years ago. Overall, he said that there was a lot more to do than before.

So I'm asking you, whether you come up here to visit family, for a weekend trip or for business, what are your opinions of the city of Erie in it's current state?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2016, 08:39 AM

3,733 posts, read 5,966,065 times
I'm coming at it from more of a local perspective, since I went to Gannon from 76-80 and stayed for three of those summer, too. Didn't like it at first, but now I love going back, since my partner is from there and we go often to visit family.

For me, it's always a sentimental homecoming because I go back to all my old haunts. A lot has changed, especially on the bayfront (which was kind of cruddy when I lived there).

What saddens me the most is the increased poverty that I see since I lived there more than 35 years ago. In the 70s, it was a big manufacturing city and the shops were busy along 12th St., and GE, Hammermill, Zurn and Bucyrus Erie employed thousands. These were all middle-class jobs, and while Erie was never upscale, there was always a good middle class and prosperous feel to it. Now most of those jobs are gone and I see what happens to a large chunk of the community, especially on the east side.

While I like the improvements on lower State Street and the bayfront, a part of me misses the old waterfront feel it used to have, with the shot and beer bars, Army-Navy store. it was seedy, but it had a lot of characer (and characters).

Old 03-04-2016, 08:54 AM

130 posts, read 199,518 times
I grew up in Erie (Fairview to be exact) and now I live in Pittsburgh.

There is more opportunity in Pittsburgh in education and in the job market. Pittsburgh has a higher class of cultural events and organizations and more diversity. Pittsburgh is also a significant step forward in Health Care.

While Pittsburgh is no NYC, LA, Chicago, Atlanta or Houston it still has a big city feel vs Erie. While Erie has more of a small town vibe but at least it has a decent downtown and retail vs living in a very rural area.

I have noticed that both Pittsburgh and Erie residents enjoy visiting the other city. Erie residents like to come to Pittsburgh to get the big City experience and do things that are either better or not offered in Erie. Pittsburgh residents like to get away from the city and go to Erie especially for the beach and boating.

Erie was a great place to grow up. But past high school Pittsburgh is more exciting and has more opportunity. I'd consider moving back home if there was a better economy that was not built significantly around tourism, service, and retail.

Old 03-04-2016, 11:29 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,036,357 times
I really like Erie. I tend to go there every summer, and hang out at the beach at Presque Isle, and walk around the city (West 6th Street mansions), hit up the downtown Starbucks and hang out in the park. I also like the gay bar in Erie. That said, I like Buffalo even more.

Last edited by PreservationPioneer; 03-04-2016 at 11:41 AM..

Old 03-04-2016, 11:55 AM

1,701 posts, read 1,599,209 times
Is there really only one gay bar in Erie? I have never been, but I always imagined it was a fairly big city, no?

Old 03-04-2016, 12:09 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Been looking at joining a Yacht Club up that way. Seems like a nice place to do some yachting. I always felt Erie to be a nice little town.

Old 03-04-2016, 12:17 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,207,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Been looking at joining a Yacht Club up that way. Seems like a nice place to do some yachting. I always felt Erie to be a nice little town.
Which club? I've been visiting Erie for 40+ years.

Bare in mind that boating can be very costly. If you have concerns about the cost of flying you'll be quite shocked at the price of boating.

Last edited by erieguy; 03-04-2016 at 12:28 PM..

Old 03-04-2016, 12:41 PM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Which club? I've been visiting Erie for 40+ years.

Bare in mind that boating can be very costly. If you have concerns about the cost of flying you'll be quite shocked at the price of boating.
Most likely Erie Yacht Club, but will look at others. I am always concerned about money, but that is the nature of any fiscal conservative. I know the costs of boat ownership. Have owned one. It is all about budgeting things and sure I may vent about flying to NYC at a cost of over $350 round trip. Ended up driving, which was worth it. Had a nice ride visiting some places along the way.

Old 03-04-2016, 12:47 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,207,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Most likely Erie Yacht Club, but will look at others. I am always concerned about money, but that is the nature of any fiscal conservative. I know the costs of boat ownership. Have owned one. It is all about budgeting things and sure I may vent about flying to NYC at a cost of over $350 round trip. Ended up driving, which was worth it. Had a nice ride visiting some places along the way.
Nice. For someone who doesn't like to drive up route 8 a few miles, you'll have many miles traveling back and forth to Erie...and $350 will be a tank of fuel.

Old 03-04-2016, 12:51 PM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
...and $350 will be a tank of fuel.
Not in a Hinckley it won't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh